DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do the drones in these light shows fly so precisely?

Kyle76

Reactions
What sort of navigation system do they use? There’s no way they can be so precisely positioned just on GPS, is there? Are they using some kind of radar to position themselves relative to each other?

You might want to check out this video. ;)

What sort of navigation system do the use? There’s no way they can be so precisely positioned just on GPS, is there? Are the using some kind of radar to position themselves relative to each other?

I was always wondering about this. Thx for sharing. I honestly didn’t think this was 50 or more individual drone operators getting together for some fun. ?

Yes it’s more than GPS, I understand it’s AI related to each other, where it starts regarding precise location no idea.
There are YouTube vids from 2/3 years ago with eg 3/4 drones inside performing routines demonstrating their special awareness, fantastic.

That is very interesting. I saw several good Christmas Drone shows & was wondering how it was done. Thanks for showing how it was done.

This is the link to the YouTube tedtalk I referred earlier, quite astounding

Yes it’s more than GPS, I understand it’s AI related to each other, where it starts regarding precise location no idea.
There are YouTube vids from 2/3 years ago with eg 3/4 drones inside performing routines demonstrating their special awareness, fantastic.
The ones from years ago indoors had perimeter cameras that sighted each drone. I doubt they use that approach for the drone shows.

Since the drones start out at over 2m (6ft) apart, if they remain that distance at minimum from each other, GPS should work. The GPS they use is more accurate than the ones we use.

Swarm AI. The drones are all 'aware' of each other and relative position to each other. I dont know if its via individual radar, or optical and GPS, or what. But its cool and scary at the same time, cough cough terminater cough cough.

Reactions: Pietros
What sort of navigation system do they use? There’s no way they can be so precisely positioned just on GPS, is there? Are they using some kind of radar to position themselves relative to each other?
Drone Show Software!

Well, yeah, but how do they know where they are in space and where they are relative to the other drones?
As already mentioned they are supporting RTK units. RTK will give you 1-2 cm accuracy horizontally and twice that for vertical. By the drone software they assemble the pattern be it range backward or forward higher altitude or lower. From the ground they look on the same plain, but in reality they could be quite far apart and no where near a collision. By staggering next point of flight by the top drone by a even a second before the other drone moves to it's next position in the swarm avoids any in flight problems. The software is constantly monitoring the drones and any drone not within a set tolerance is aborted out and another drone assumes it's function. There are probably more than 10 or more drones for each formation just standing by to assume that function. There really is no need for avodiance on the drones beyond that.

Almost all formations have multitudes of drones in position and hovering with lights off and only require a small number of subsequent drones from a previous formation to complete and from there the rest of the drones not used move off, lights off to build the next formation and the process repeats. The look is complex but in reality it is very easy to achieve due to how the human eye perceives such at night in the sky. Read up on how RTK works here: RTK vs. PPK vs. GCPs: Which Drone Technology Is Best Suited For You

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to see one of these shows in person about a month ago and it truly is impressive! They are as accurate in person as they are in the videos. Intel has an excellent website talking about the drones and the shows which start at $200,000 to $300,000.

I doubt GPS is the best to coordinate between drones. There are far better methods like invisible strings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2