DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you catch your mavic pro?

I am oaf and would be afraid of dropping the drone by turning it up side down or side ways as demonstrated if videos above. I have not had an issue hovering drone in front of me, hand catching and pulling left throttle down to kill motors.
Drone might try to avoid your head and resist a little bit, but so far no issues. Works great in my backyard when the dogs are out with me. (Who would go after drone.) And on colder days when we are wearing thicker clothes less chance of snagging the blades on the clothes.

A

Is there something wrong or more dangerous by stopping the motor by turning on the side ? I find it easier as anyway you are grabbing it with propellers spinning. My technique is different that the guy on the video (I just turn it on the side; smoothly ) ....for me, easier than having the drone in one hand and to shut the motor with the controller. At least, you have learned something new look like !

I think it's the least elegant way to do it if nothing else.
Having to wave it around.
Landing protection off, stick down. Easy :)

Because I want to launch from like beaches and off rocks and sometimes it’s hard to land it due to uneven ground and long grass etc it’s really common and skilful to use the hand technique
I'm a newbie but I Wanted to learn this hand catch,watched the videos and decided to just let it come to me with a flat hand,piece of cake,no wind though and I did this as my fifth flight,positive thinking,you can always back out but be persistent and want to do it.good luck

I can't believe how many folks think grabbing the aircraft with their fingers is a good idea. You only have to get tagged by the rotors once, before you stop doing that... I simply extend my right palm upward, with my fingers flat and bring the AC to a hover above my palm, fingers together. The bottom sensor sees my hand as a solid surface and lands normally with a left down stick command. Just like landing on any other surface and the aircraft doesn't go crazy trying to fly out of your grip. Occasionally, the sensors will see past the side of my hand and stop the landing, but repositioning my hand and down sticking again solves that quickly and efficiently. Saw it on YT and it looked sketchy, but I've done it lots and haven't had a problem since using this method. Bottom of AC will be warm after long flight in hot weather, but not too hot to handle. My Mavic Pro rests solidly in hand after the rotors stop - not even a hint that it might topple off my palm. Seriously, I'll never use another method to do this again. Grabbing my precision quadcopter and turning it sideways against gyroscopic inertia while the rotors are screaming? No thanks. Also, no need.

I can't believe how many folks think grabbing the aircraft with their fingers is a good idea. You only have to get tagged by the rotors once, before you stop doing that... I simply extend my right palm upward, with my fingers flat and bring the AC to a hover above my palm, fingers together. The bottom sensor sees my hand as a solid surface and lands normally with a left down stick command. Just like landing on any other surface and the aircraft doesn't go crazy trying to fly out of your grip. Occasionally, the sensors will see past the side of my hand and stop the landing, but repositioning my hand and down sticking again solves that quickly and efficiently. Saw it on YT and it looked sketchy, but I've done it lots and haven't had a problem since using this method. Bottom of AC will be warm after long flight in hot weather, but not too hot to handle. My Mavic Pro rests solidly in hand after the rotors stop - not even a hint that it might topple off my palm. Seriously, I'll never use another method to do this again. Grabbing my precision quadcopter and turning it sideways against gyroscopic inertia while the rotors are screaming? No thanks. Also, no need.
Try this on a boat.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I think it's the least elegant way to do it if nothing else.
Having to wave it around.
Landing protection off, stick down. Easy :)
I found a more ''elegant'' way of doing it by a DJI nerds :)
Go see my first post (edited for that reason)

If you leave all sensors on and try to catch it by avoiding activating the sensors you are risking an accident. What if it is windy out? Youll end up cutting your fingers or worse. When I grab it i want to know I can squeeze it tight then sticks down.
The only way I would do it is by turning off landing protection.

I recommend Kevlar gloves if you’re going to hand catch by any of the possible methods.
My first attempt resulted in several cuts on my fingers that took a month to heal. Plus I had to clean the blood off of everything including the drone.

If you need to use kevlar, i think that says something.
But If your in a situation where you absolutely need to do it every time,
Id reccomend something like this

They work with touchscreen. Thick enough to stop a prop cut, but comfy enough to use with
controller.
I leave landing protection off in case a hand catch (barking dog) is needed.
But never do it when theres any sort of landing spot.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851