DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you feel about the FAA?

Point Zero

Reactions
I would like to start a discussion about the FAA for several reasons, the first being its the worlds leading authority in Civil Aviation and next because where the FAA lead all other worldwide civil aviation authorities seem to follow.

Since last December the entire global media was inundated with negative and damaging stories about drones being misused and causing problems. So many problems in fact that the mighty FAA started making new laws to protect us all from the danger of these drones.

During this time the FAA had allowed the certification for service for the Boeing 737 MAX which went on to kill around 400 innocent men, women and children.

Since the accident several extremely disturbing facts have come to light.

First and foremost is that Boeing and the FAA had a rather curious relationship, where the FAA would allow Boeing to certify their own (broken) aircraft as being fit for service! This is really really bad because that is precisely what the FAA are tasked with doing and to allow a manufacturer to certify their own products is just insane!

Next is that between the first deadly 737 Max crash and the second one, top Boeing executives sold there personal company shares! They did this knowing that there would soon be another crash and that the shares they owned would be heavily devalued! They new another crash would occur after an internal report was made detailing why the first crash happened!

Below is a short clip of how people who have been terribly effected by the criminal incompetence and negligence that the FAA displayed to us all!

I didn't post this to start a flame war against the FAA but I would like to say that I hope all of those morons responsible for this corruption will be found out, charged and punished to the fullest extent that the law provides.

They are there to protect us from profiteering companies that care more about money than they do about human life and in this instance they have failed terribly. If I could speak to the FAA directly I would say this. Sort your own rotten house out before you start to lecture drone pilots on what is safe and what isn't safe. People have died because you couldn't do the job you WERE PAID to do! Get rid of those responsible and try your best to gain the public trust and please please please just stfu about drones you absolute losers!

Happy New Year

Last edited:
I would like to start a discussion about the FAA for several reasons, the first being its the worlds leading authority in Civil Aviation and next because where the FAA lead all other worldwide civil aviation authorities seem to follow.

Since last December the entire global media was inundated with negative and damaging stories about drones being misused and causing problems. So many problems in fact that the mighty FAA started making new laws to protect us all from the danger of these drones.

During this time the FAA had allowed the certification for service for the Boeing 737 MAX which went on to kill around 400 innocent men, women and children.

Since the accident several extremely disturbing facts have come to light.

First and foremost is that Boeing and the FAA had a rather curious relationship, where the FAA would allow Boeing to certify their own (broken) aircraft as being fit for service! This is really really bad because that is precisely what the FAA are tasked with doing and to allow a manufacturer to certify their own products is just insane!

Next is that between the first deadly 737 Max crash and the second one, top Boeing executives sold there personal company shares! They did this knowing that there would soon be another crash and that the shares they owned would be heavily devalued! They new another crash would occur after an internal report was made detailing why the first crash happened!

Below is a short clip of how people who have been terribly effected by the criminal incompetence and negligence that the FAA displayed to us all!

I didn't post this to start a flame war against the FAA but I would like to say that I hope all of those morons responsible for this corruption will be found out, charged and punished to the fullest extent that the law provides.

They are there to protect us from profiteering companies that care more about money than they do about human life and in this instance they have failed terribly. If I could speak to the FAA directly I would say this. Sort your own rotten house out before you start to lecture drone pilots on what is safe and what isn't safe. People have died because you couldn't do the job you WERE PAID to do! Get rid of those responsible and try your best to gain the public trust and please please please just stfu about drones you absolute losers!

Happy New Year
Errrr.....no.

The FAA have absolutely nothing to do with, nor do they have any authority outside the United States.

Perhaps you should be looking at ICAO

Sort your own rotten house out before you start to lecture drone pilots on what is safe and what isn't safe.
...please please please just stfu about drones you absolute losers!
The FAA is a very large organisation with many different areas of responsibility.
It would be completely illogical to suggest that they should drop everything and concentrate on just one issue that needs fixing.

I've dealt with the FAA in one form or another for the last 40 years. Many of the older ex-military types were very good, sadly most are retired. Some of the AD's (demands requiring inspections and parts replacements have been onerous - and a few, such as the spar inspection on my previous 7AC, have done more damage than good).

The biggest problem, though, is it's a bureaucracy, often inefficient and too often losing sight of what should be it's job. In aviation circles the joke has been the FAA's motto:

"We're not happy until you're not happy!"

Or,

"We've upped our standards, now up yours!"

A couple of things to think about. The FAA, while holding sway over many minor country's aviation issues, are not the de facto aviation authority worldwide. The CAA in the UK and many others around the world have their own fiefdoms to work in.

Secondly, Boeing has a history of fudging their aerodynamic issues by using automated systems to mitigate the problem. Their problem is that their automated systems have failures that kill - including a few people I served with - but they have/had the power to deny and silence.

In a forum regarding drones you're really barking up the wrong tree... Imagine a world where people like you who think you know what you are doing go and fly with no knowledge or regard for silly little things like "controlled airspace", NOTAMS and all those other little things that actual airmen have to consider and abide by...

When I flew full size aircraft and now as I'm an utter newbie to drones I would not like to fly anything with you in the vicinity.

Sorry, but that's the truth... cry if you like.

Also FAA has to abide and uphold the 2018 FAA reauthorization act. They've already violated the rule in the law requiring within 180 days of the bill becoming law a safety knowledge test for recreational fliers.

But there does seem to be a lot of double standards. Like gliders and ultralights having less restrictions than a 2lb quad copter. If MAS would stay above 500ft, and we stayed under 400ft, there shouldn't be many issues. Even on runway approach, MAS are usually above 500ft until within 1 mile of runway.

Also FAA has to abide and uphold the 2018 FAA reauthorization act. They've already violated the rule in the law requiring within 180 days of the bill becoming law a safety knowledge test for recreational fliers.

But there does seem to be a lot of double standards. Like gliders and ultralights having less restrictions than a 2lb quad copter. If MAS would stay above 500ft, and we stayed under 400ft, there shouldn't be many issues. Even on runway approach, MAS are usually above 500ft until within 1 mile of runway.
That is not really an accurate statement, there are many regs both Ultralights and gliders must follow that you don't seem to be aware of, if you think that a drone has more restrictions than those.

The Boeing 737 debacle highlights some serious flaws in the FAA's current certification and oversight process. Boeing and others in industry simply cant help but be swayed by profit over safety sometimes. This could be a very long discussion as to why the FAA certification process is currently the way it is. Long story short is- its complicated and its also involves budgetary cuts in FAA funding. To say that industry is "self certifying" is not entirely accurate. But its close. The major flaw in the current FAA system is it involves "trusting" a commercial entity to always want to act in the interest of safety. I could go on and on, but who cares.

In regards to the new proposed FAA UAS rule- there is not way to get around it in the long term. The growth in both commercial and rec UAS flights is exploding every year. We all know a drone is incredibly useful and versatile. Amazon is racing toward the day tech and FAA rules converge to make very rapid delivery possible. When that happens the air will be very crowded and very rule driven. And thats only one company. There are so many uses for commercial BLOS UAS. Its really quite remarkable.

I personally dont have a problem with having to take a knowledge test. Not everyone lives in a crowded area. But In my city there are three airports in close proximity. Lots of aircraft overhead. There is nothing wrong with having an operator know and be aware of airspace rules. I do have a problem with the heavy handed restrictions of having to fly at a "RC airfield" or similar. It sort of kills the whole point of a takeoff or land anywhere drone. Plus, what we do with them really isnt like just flying around the pattern and doing loops and such, like a fixed wing RC airplane. As for the proposal for some type of automatic ID system, I can see that happening at some point no matter what. Case in point- the current Colorado drone headlines. An inflight ID system would put that issue to bed right away. My main concern would be cost and weight. An ADS-B type device is pretty pricey, and bulky in relation to a 2 lb Mavic Pro. If its internet based, Id like to see the technology for that. I cant see how a craft would connect to the internet without a phone link, which means an additional account and more cost. And to not be able to fly at all without a internet connection seems a bit much as well. However, we've gone beyond "toys" now. A Mavic Pro (2 lb) would seriously damage, if not destroy a multi million dollar jet engine, and possibly cause loss of life. Even just sheet metal damage is extremely expensive to repair on an aircraft. When the FAA determines risk it uses a formula, in simplified terms, of Risk=Severity x Likelihood. The risk of a drone hitting and airplane (or house, or person, etc) is going up very quickly. And you may not read about it on the internet, but incidents are happening multiple times a day on average. The data is there if you look for it on the FAA website.

So the increase in rules and restrictions is going to happen, weather we want it or not. But I urge everyone to make your voice heard and comment on the FAA rule on their website, and stay informed.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27