DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you guys protect your gimbal while flying?

Clare_G101

Reactions
My drone just suffered from a crash when it disconnected from my controller and went wonky, and my gimbal broke, in the future is there anyway to protect my gimbal? I know keeping the bubble on isn't good as the air from the motor can get stuck in there and possibly over heat, but is there any good way that you guys keep your gimbal protected while flying your mavic?

Edit: Please stop saying "stop crashing it' because I don't do it on purpose obviously. The one time I crashed it, I was doing return to home, and the mavic got disconnected from the controller, and kept drifting into a tree when I didn't tell it to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
You can get hoods that have an opening at the front. But they can interfere with filming especially when you pitch forward at higher speeds. That might provide some protection.

And the silly answer - try not to crash :)

Don't crash?!?
Alright, obviously I am going to try not to crash, but if it happens, say it disconnects or something, is there a way to further protect it? Like for the props, obviously try not to crash them to not wreck them, but there are still ways to protect it, so obviously don't crash, and obviously I am going to try to not do that, I don't need people telling me not to crash, that's just common sense :p

With a bit of practice and planning you should not need to protect the gimbal. Protect it by flying well.
If you are crashing and breaking multiple gimbals, you are doing something improperly.

Other than a sun hood or the plastic cover that the mavic comes with. There isn't much you can do to protect your gimbal, like others have said try not to crash it lol.

You know your entire problem is not the protection of the gimble, it that you don't know how to fly! Don't crash, crashing is not part of flying. But if you feel that you must continue crashing, I would suggest bubble wrap.

You know your entire problem is not the protection of the gimble, it that you don't know how to fly! Don't crash, crashing is not part of flying. But if you feel that you must continue crashing, I would suggest bubble wrap.
Okay, I know how to fly, I am not an idiot, I am just asking if there is anyway I can further my protection, obviously I am not crashing into trees left and right. I am not like "look, a tree, let's go crash into it, oh no! Why is my gimbal broken." Please don't assume I am a wreak-less flyer and crash into everything, because I am not.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
In regards to protecting the gimbal in case of a crash...I don't think anything can truly protect it. If your quad falls 150 feet to the ground, even the plastic dome that is provided isn't going to help much. Then again...I've never crashed my Mavic

Jayzus! Y'all are being kind of rough.
Dude has a serious question and everyone acts like he's being an idiot.
Remember the adage "no such thing as a dumb question"?
There might be something out there he was not aware of.
Then seriously - every person replying has *never* crashed?

The only way to protect the gimbal is with the Perspex bubble
Or one of the sun shade ones.
The overheating problem is still a sort of yes or no answer.
If you are not in very hot temps for long periods of time then the gimbal cover is ok but will give a reduction in camera quality.

My drone just suffered from a crash when it disconnected from my controller and went wonky, and my gimbal broke, in the future is there anyway to protect my gimbal? I know keeping the bubble on isn't good as the air from the motor can get stuck in there and possibly over heat, but is there any good way that you guys keep your gimbal protected while flying your mavic?

Edit: Please stop saying "stop crashing it' because I don't do it on purpose obviously. The one time I crashed it, I was doing return to home, and the mavic got disconnected from the controller, and kept drifting into a tree when I didn't tell it to.

If you go to Amazon and search for Mavic Pro Gimbal Cover, you can find many types. Those cover do limit your video, though.

I use a sunshade, trimmed a bit to stop it blocking the camera in fast forward flight.

I saw a thing in eBay that mounted to the bottom of the magic and had two forward facing prongs beneath the camera as well, allegedly to protect the camera.

Reactions: Brojon
Jayzus! Y'all are being kind of rough.
Dude has a serious question and everyone acts like he's being an idiot.
Remember the adage "no such thing as a dumb question"?
There might be something out there he was not aware of.
Then seriously - every person replying has *never* crashed?
In real aviation in regards to wheels up landing, we say " there are those who have, and those that will" aviation is very unforgiving. Basically if you haven't crashed your not trying hard enough, get into it and don't be such a baby lol

Exactly what Brojon said.
I see this so much not only here but throughout the entire internet. Someone asks a specific question and the question gets a ton of responses but rarely any answers. I don't understand the juvenile tendency to respond when One really has nothing of value to say .
I myself wanted to know what Clare was brave enough to ask. But maybe she didn't realize that most of the responses were going to come from the click in the school yard playground .
So let me ask what Clare asked . Does anybody KNOW of any method or device etc to help to minimise the damage that a nose drive crash will have on the camera. Intelligent answers are welcome.

Reactions: old man mavic
Does anybody KNOW of any method or device etc to help to minimise the damage that a nose drive crash will have on the camera. Intelligent answers are welcome.
The answer is simple.
The gimbal is by necessity lightweight and delicate.
There is no device that will protect it in a crash.
The only method that would help has been discussed above.

Reactions: old man mavic
you could use the original type of bubble cover that came with drone and remove part of the front portion to allow air through you would still get some distortion when you yaw but at least it would give some minor protection if you flew into the branches of a tree

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas