DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how do you plan your videos

kamviclance

Reactions
Just wondering about how all of you go about producing your videos?
Myself, I find a piece of music I like, then visualize how to fly and video
the shot based on the music I've selected. I have a bluetooth speaker strapped
to my belt to listen to the chosen music from my mp3 player. I break the shots
into small captures that corresponds with certain beats of the music. Then, in post production I can start clipping and fine tune the video scenes to the parts of music
I have chosen.
Or, do you find a suitable piece of music after you prepare your
video shots in an editing software?
cheers....safe and happy droning!

Reactions: BGloss18
I am a rather novice pilot but I try to look around the spot I'm filming and then vary up the shots that I take (its hard not to just do a bunch of pan up reveal shots) and then I try to get different perspectives and views. With music, I find it after I start editing and sometimes after I've edited all of the clips together. I use Davinci Resolve 16 to edit and for music I know that there are a bunch of places to get it but Youtube studio has a bunch of free stuff on it. Definitely editing to the beat is really good.

Happy Flying!

--Noah

I am a rather novice pilot but I try to look around the spot I'm filming and then vary up the shots that I take (its hard not to just do a bunch of pan up reveal shots) and then I try to get different perspectives and views. With music, I find it after I start editing and sometimes after I've edited all of the clips together. I use Davinci Resolve 16 to edit and for music I know that there are a bunch of places to get it but Youtube studio has a bunch of free stuff on it. Definitely editing to the beat is really good.

Happy Flying!

--Noah
Thanks for the input Noha.
I use the paid version of VSDC Video Editor. (shows the frequency waves of the music so you can clip at the precise note).
The one problem I am having though is where I make my splice, the timeline bar stalls at the cut portion. When final finished video is exported though, it runs smooth.
Don't know if this is a problem with my computing power?
I have heard a lot about Davinci Resolve. Will have to try it out.
Cheers
Lance

I generally plan my flights using Google Earth, with the fov modified to match the drone I will be flying. That lets me set up shots with altitude and camera angles pre-visualized. Sometimes fly it with Litchi, sometimes just fly it with a general idea of what I want.

Music comes from a playlist that was developed from music browsing earlier. Sometimes modify drone flight speed by retiming to match the drone flight speed to the flow of the music.

Just wondering about how all of you go about producing your videos?
Myself, I find a piece of music I like, then visualize how to fly and video
the shot based on the music I've selected. I have a bluetooth speaker strapped
to my belt to listen to the chosen music from my mp3 player. I break the shots
into small captures that corresponds with certain beats of the music. Then, in post production I can start clipping and fine tune the video scenes to the parts of music
I have chosen.
Or, do you find a suitable piece of music after you prepare your
video shots in an editing software?
cheers....safe and happy droning!
I actually do the opposite. I use Premiere Pro. I assemble my "Assets" folders first. E.g.: video folder, stills folder, timelapse video folder, etc. Once I have these, I try to conjure up a story. I usually start out with a chronological opening- e.g.: sunrise, etc. Then, add assets of activities of a travelogue. I intermix my media sources (such as stills, videos, timelapses) and after I have an idea of the length of the film, I will then start a search on my "paid for" music site. I use a company called Musicbed. They have a category called Ambient, and Cinematic. I try to have a piece of music tag learnt as long as my final clip, which usually runs less than 3 minutes. Thus, I look for 4 minute music clips. In summary, I add music lastly not firstly. I try to fit the music to the mood of the clip. I try to end the clip with the same chronology, such as darker skies or a sunset sequence.

I study the area where I'm going to fly with Google Maps, Google Earth and watching some videos of the place (if available). Then I'm selecting spots of the place. After shhoting, I choose a song and try to make an edit that fits on the music.

My methods vary! With my drone I mostly go out to somewhere I know, have a few rough ideas of shots I've seen an liked and fly around a bit. Then edit in Premiere Pro and select a track once I've started editing. I usually end up going back to add more shots or sometimes retake previous ones.

At the moment I'm working on a video that's a combination of Osmo action and drone footage. It's a local history film about a disused road in my town with some history behind it from the perspective of riding it on a bike.

I planned it out quite carefully what the storyline would be, what shots I wanted from the drone and action cam. Did a couple of research rides and plenty of fiddling around with the tech to make sure I got the best out of it.

Filmed it how I planned, put it together and showed the family. My wife and daughter are historians and my daughter works in publishing. My son works in the film industry.

Result? Not a lot of it actually worked. Some bits were great - particularly the drone work and by accident I went through an abandoned railway bridge at sunset. That stayed in the final cut, and I re-worked the ending around it.

How I eventually got the result I wanted was to take the feedback and run with it. I ended up re-filming bits of it several times to get the right day and light conditions, reshoot a couple of tech failures and make some additions suggested by the family. So it grew organically from my original plan. I ended up with what I set out to achieve, but not in the ways I intended.

I'm quite fit now after doing all that cycling!!

I'm doing the final render now and waiting for it to finish........................

So back to the original question, I have rough ideas as to what I want to achieve but expect to have some of my shots not work out, and have some accidental brilliant bits. Cobble something together and add music.

I think I like letting ideas grow and being organic about things :)

I have used both detailed planning and just going out, flying around and coming home with 45min of video which I reduce to about 3 min to fit with whatever music moves me on that occasions.

I have also done detailed planning and worked out what shots I wanted. In one case it was of a steam train and I knew mostly I would only get one go at various shots/locations so I planned very carefully.

Horses for courses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S