DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you quickly turn "off" all obstacle/downward/sideways sensing?

dixiefla

Reactions
I need to manually land on my dock, between pilings, and in the cockpit of my boat. When I tried this I did it successfully, but at times when trying to fine tune the exact landing spot the aircraft balked and wouldn't move. This was because it was sensing the pilings as obstacles, and it decided to just hover in place and ignore stick inputs.

So obviously I need to turn off obstacle/downward/sideways sensing when landing in tight spaces, and in going into settings, it looks like you have to turn off several items on several screens. Is there way to program one of the buttons, like the C1 button to quickly turn ALL of this off in one click? That would be handy on flights like this, to do it just before landing. Obviously I'd like to have the sensing on at all times otherwise.

P.S.: Apparently to land the bird by hand -- plucking it out of the air--it is also important to have the obstacle sensing turned off. So again this would be nice to be able to do this just before landing with one click.

Reactions: Dronage
I hand land and do not turn off anything for it. Sure, it stops about a meter above my hand, but I keep the stick down and after a couple of seconds, it 'lands' and I grab it and hold (with stick still down) until the motors turn off.

Perhaps the same could be true in your boat cockpit situation, just ignore the warnings (which is all they are -- warnings) and continue to land?

But I suspect your going to get some "put it in sport mode" responses.

Chris

I need to manually land on my dock, between pilings, and in the cockpit of my boat. When I tried this I did it successfully, but at times when trying to fine tune the exact landing spot the aircraft balked and wouldn't move. This was because it was sensing the pilings as obstacles, and it decided to just hover in place and ignore stick inputs.

So obviously I need to turn off obstacle/downward/sideways sensing when landing in tight spaces, and in going into settings, it looks like you have to turn off several items on several screens. Is there way to program one of the buttons, like the C1 button to quickly turn ALL of this off in one click? That would be handy on flights like this, to do it just before landing. Obviously I'd like to have the sensing on at all times otherwise.

P.S.: Apparently to land the bird by hand -- plucking it out of the air--it is also important to have the obstacle sensing turned off. So again this would be nice to be able to do this just before landing with one click.
In situations as the likings you describe, my M2P offers the option to force the landing in a popup. Just be sure to make minor and gentle adjustments as needed.
Landing on a boat is a whole ‘ bother ballgame. Try the search feature of the forum.

OK, I think that would work for grabbing it out of the sky, but in the landing on my dock or boat cockpit, it was not just warnings--the unit refused stick inputs. When it was about 2 ft off the dock, I could only make it go up or down, and it almost struck a prop on a step close by. I tried to gently nudge it away from the step, but it would not take any sideways stick inputs. So it seems pretty obvious I need to turn the sensing off quickly when doing this.

Now that you mention it, I guess just sliding the mode button to sport just before the approach would be my "quickly-turn-off-all-sensing" idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Well, again, it takes several clicks to turn everything off, so how do you assign several clicks to C2?. Or do you mean assign "sport mode" the C2 button? It would seem this isn't necessary as sport mode is right there on the controller front.

It would be best if you learned to hand launch/land. Turning on Sport mode will make the control sticks more reactive when you would probably want the opposite, like Tripod mode. Turning off the downward sensors will leave you susceptible to hard landings, since it will not slow down when it detects the ground under it. It is also very tricky landing on a rocking boat.

I do not have a M2, but I wonder if the side sensors kept you from moving sideways; one side detected the step and the other side got a false detection caused by bright light. The bright light (low sun exaggerated by reflections off water) can stop my MP from moving forward when it overloads the front anti-collision sensors.

Well, again, it takes several clicks to turn everything off, so how do you assign several clicks to C2?. Or do you mean assign "sport mode" the C2 button? It would seem this isn't necessary as sport mode is right there on the controller front.
If you go to the Settings for C1 and C2 you will see the selection "Enable Visual Obstacle Avoidance" in the drop down list.

If you land at under 10% remaining battery, they get shut off automatically! ?

If you land at under 10% remaining battery, they get shut off automatically! ?

The only problem with waiting until the battery is so low, that now you have to work with the left joystick to hold the drone in the air and land it where you want, otherwise it will land completely by itself, and then maybe it will be in the water , not good.

The only problem with waiting until the battery is so low, that now you have to work with the left joystick to hold the drone in the air and land it where you want, otherwise it will land completely by itself, and then maybe it will be in the water , not good.
It is not difficult to apply sufficient pressure on the left stick to maintain altitude, or even to ascend, while under Autoland, as forward flight is still unaffected, except for a reduction in speed to 27mph. It's just not as responsive to left stick input. You still have full stick control. However, best to ascend to the height you need, just before the 10% autoland begins. For me, it isn't waiting until the battery is so low. It is making it back before it reaches 0%, which still leaves about 90 seconds of flight, after 0%, before the landing can no longer be cancelled. Ask me how I know! ;)

Reactions: wendyc and TTP
Just turn off landing protection in the obstacle submenu. With this turned off, you can easily hand catch your drone. I tested it, works perfect. I don't know what it does anyway.
I tested both on and off, couldn't find any different behaviour. Manual landing and rth work normal.

And if you press the obstacle icon on the remote and turn all off, is that too much clicking?

Just turn off landing protection in the obstacle submenu. With this turned off, you can easily hand catch your drone. I tested it, works perfect. I don't know what it does anyway.
I tested both on and off, couldn't find any different behaviour. Manual landing and rth work normal.

And if you press the obstacle icon on the remote and turn all off, is that too much clicking?
FYI - According to the manual, Landing Protection just checks to see if the landing area is suitable (not exactly sure how that is determined). If the area is “suitable” it should have no effect whether it is on or off.

Yes I read that.
But i always land, where i start. And I start on suitable ground...

The only side effect is, you can hand catch your drone, so I turned that useless feature off.

Yes I read that.
But i always land, where i start. And I start on suitable ground...

The only side effect is, you can hand catch your drone, so I turned that useless feature off.
OK, I thought that you were unsure of how it worked. Sorry. BTW, you can easily hand catch with all the sensors on, I do it all the time.

OK, I thought that you were unsure of how it worked. Sorry. BTW, you can easily hand catch with all the sensors on, I do it all the time.
No, it's by far easier with landing protection OFF.
I know, I watched all the videos how to do it, but still, catching it wherever you want is much easier, that's no rocket science.
That's why I said I turn landing protection off, it makes catching really easy and other than that I couldn't find out why I need that feature to be turned on...

Reactions: Camino Ken
To eac
No, it's by far easier with landing protection OFF.
I know, I watched all the videos how to do it, but still, catching it wherever you want is much easier, that's no rocket science.
That's why I said I turn landing protection off, it makes catching really easy and other than that I couldn't find out why I need that feature to be turned on...
To each his own. I can very easily hand catch with all the sensors and landing protection on. I prefer them on just in case.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Good.
The question remains, why leaving landing protection on.
Maybe I fly more manual and don't need that feature, I tried rth and whatever came to my mind to test this feature, but I couldn't find out what it does.

So, I turned it off, and catching is easier, because the sensor you have to try to avoid with your hand, is turned off.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Good.
The question remains, why leaving landing protection on.
Maybe I fly more manual and don't need that feature, I tried rth and whatever came to my mind to test this feature, but I couldn't find out what it does.

So, I turned it off, and catching is easier, because the sensor you have to try to avoid with your hand, is turned off.
I prefer to leave it on just in case I get into a situation where I am forced to land away from my immediate location. The drone will hover if the site is “not suitable”, allowing me to move it around to find a better site.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803