DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you store/backup your footage

DrizzyDrones

Reactions
Ok so I use 64gb sd cards in my mini. (Question-whats largest size mini can take?)

I use ab iPhone 6s as my designated flying device and it has been perfect I have a android 4k big screen and it really shows the footage from flying so much better and I like watching them back on it. Also with the lack of sd slot on the iPhone I only download the stuff I wanna edit to the phone. I try make sure the sd in the mini always has at least half available storage to advoid isntances like happend when I was keeping it all on the sd and i was a min into a flight and sd card ran out of space and my extras were home so i was forced to delete some non backed up videos... call me a video hoarder but i have been keeping them all because as i learn an gain experience i can look back and see the difference and progression from first flight.

Anyway i have a external hd plugged into my tv and I have been taking the sd card putting it in a android tablet using send files to tv app and sending them to the hd on the tv
Better than the way I did it first (uploading to google drive and downloading with browser on tv)

I recently came across usb drives at dollarama 16gb for 2$ I bought everything they had 13 or so I have a adapter that goes into my iPhone giving me a USB port. I was thinking instead of having to send it to the tv i can just plug usb drive into phone download to there from mini and now i can put the USB drive into the tv or computer and watch it. I can label each drive with details of what/where flights are on it and if I ever wanna find a clip or whatever i have usb drives also wouldn’t have to take card out of mini and put it in the tablet. This should work shouldn’t it? Haven’t had a chance to test it yet

After my flights I pop the SD card in my PC transfer everything to a new folder to sort out later, format the SD card & replace in the drone.
I then delete everything I am not happy with & sort the rest into relevant folders to edit if I ever get round to it.

Exactly what I did with my DSLR's in landscape photography . After a day of shooting,I wasn't always in the best frame-of-mind on how I wanted to edit a shot,keep it,delete it,etc.
(Always making sure to get the card(s) back to the camera before I forget them at home)

Reactions: ff22 and THE CYBORG
I offload my videos to an external hard drive, creating descriptive folder names to describe where the videos were taken. For security, I make a duplicate copy to a second external drive, in case the first drive fails. Always copy data to 2 drives for security. I do this for everything digital I care about. The second drive I keep in a fire rated security case. I don't generally trust the "cloud" for most digital content I have. The file sizes are generally too large to upload to cloud storage.

I use the same system on all my drones and my camera - I copy the files from the SD card to my PC's hard drive and then copy them to a removable hard drive. After I've edited any of my pictures and videos I also copy the edited files to the removable hard drive. For each of my drones I have a folder, with sub folders edits, photos and videos.

Call me old-fashioned, but I use batch files to do the copies to the removable drive, so a double click on a desktop icon takes care of all the copying.

I use a 1 TB solid state outboard drive. 1TB. With USB C, the SSD is fast enough to edit 4K while leaving the files on the outboard SSD.

Reactions: BigAl07
In my MM i use Sandisk Extreme Plus 64 Gb which is more than enough (4 hr of recording). Don't use bigger if problems arise you won't loose to much footages! 32 Gb is even better. I back up everything on a 10 TB WD external drive and 3TB ext too to be on the safest side ;)

After my flights I pop the SD card in my PC transfer everything to a new folder to sort out later, format the SD card & replace in the drone.
I then delete everything I am not happy with & sort the rest into relevant folders to edit if I ever get round to it.
I can't get the SD card out of the MP2 easily with my short fingers so I leave it in the drone and use the download cable. Usually format the card right after that thru the Go4 menu.

That's pretty much how we do it too.

We swap out the SD card on every battery change or change of location. This way if the aircraft (and SD card) is lost, we only lose ONE flight worth of DATA. Learned this the hard way October of 2016 when lost an aircraft into the lake and lost HOURS of Commercial and 1-off DATA. That one crash cost me over $1,000 in lost revenue just on deliverable DATA alone.

We have an SD Card Wallet in each drone case so we have plenty on hand for a full day of flying.

I move all of the DATA from the SD card to my Solid State HDD in my laptop and then when I'm done for the day the whole day's folder is then moved onto a Networked HDD just for disaster recovery needs.

The SD Cards are then formatted and "If Found" text file added back to the card before it goes into the SD Card Wallet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC