DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do You Store Your Videos? (External drive suggestions)

Store on YouTube... They will keep it forever!

I've had a few Externals die on me and you'll never retrieve those videos back unless u fork out serious cash for data retrieval.

Store on YouTube... They will keep it forever!

I've had a few Externals die on me and you'll never retrieve those videos back unless u fork out serious cash for data retrieval.
If you have data you want preserved, you should be archiving across multiple sources and locations (local, network, off-site) as a best practice. Putting data you do not want to lose on a single drive, in a single place is a recipe for tears.

Cloud storage can work if you incorporate it as part of a regular backup schedule. A few folks mentioned NAS devices which, combined with cloud storage, makes an effective on/off site strategy.

Synology has a nice package which works with several cloud services. Packages - DSM 6.1 | Synology Inc.

Hard disk drives are very inexpensive since SSDs are becoming main stream and less expensive than they were. Get several HDDs/external enclosures (USB 3) and make multiple backups. I don't use the cloud and have my own. My working drive is SSD on an iMac but I've also got an SSD externally. I've gotten some Lacie drives on eBay and replaced controller boards and drives where needed. I only had one go bad out of 7 that I have and the controller failed, data was OK on HDD. Make your own cloud.

Always aim for data redundancy. Buying only one drive would keep you covered, but not really. Any drive defect and you're in for a data recovery service.

I got myself QNAP TS-451A NAS storage 7 months ago, with 2x8TB NAS drives and I still have 2 free slots to expand.
It has many bells and whistles, if you feel like using them, great, if not, you still have a reliable storage, encrypted if you wish so.
I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Used to have Drobo back in the day, but disliked it always due to their proprietary file system.

TS-x51A-Series_PR532_useng1.jpg

Hard disk drives are very inexpensive since SSDs are becoming main stream and less expensive than they were. Get several HDDs/external enclosures (USB 3) and make multiple backups. I don't use the cloud and have my own. My working drive is SSD on an iMac but I've also got an SSD externally. I've gotten some Lacie drives on eBay and replaced controller boards and drives where needed. I only had one go bad out of 7 that I have and the controller failed, data was OK on HDD. Make your own cloud.
Yes agree. However, note that SSD memory does not last forever. The flash memory used in SSD and similar devices have a limited number of read/write cycles. The number is very large but my point is that if you really want to archive data for many years, do not use SSD type devices.

I think i was trying to stress importance of redundant backups, regardless of drive type. That is what will save your data from possible loss. My working drives are SSDs because its much faster to process videos. You could even use DVDs for a 100 year archive if your mindful of the storage environment for that.

I think i was trying to stress importance of redundant backups, regardless of drive type. That is what will save your data from possible loss. My working drives are SSDs because its much faster to process videos. You could even use DVDs for a 100 year archive if your mindful of the storage environment for that.
No argument here.

Writable optical media, however, also has limited life (around 10 yrs I think). The way data is written is different than commercially manufactured media which is not permanent.

Last edited:
I'm going to advise against any such items as Western Digital "MyBooks" and the ilk.
The reason for this is that they typically use two smaller (cheaper) hard drives to get the advertised capacity. The way they do this is with proprietary software - usually Linux based - that arranges the two or more disks into a JBOD (Just a Big Old Drive). They do this using RAID 0 config which means they "stripe" the data - alternating tracks between the two drives. If one drive develops problems you've just lost everything as even the data recovery people will struggle with it. Ask me how I know this. In my case Western Digital compounded the issue by keeping the software on some hidden sectors on one of the drives.
So now I do two things:
1 - a network RAID box to store all working materials (I use DROBO)
2 - a USB 3.0 SATA dock that accepts 2.5 or 3.5 hard drives. I use this to archive data to a cheap hard drive which gets filed and put away.
You can get a 3.0 cradle for around $30 and a 2TB hard drive for less than $80.
The external hard drive solution works really well as you can put stickers on the end and use those to lookup what's on them.
I would also mention that I periodically load the drive into the dock and do a disk check which seems to help keep the data intact.

Thanks!!!

Oh great .. just what the world needs. Another cloud based video sharing service!
It works for me, I much prefer to click one button and then its done. I gave up on managing terabytes of home storage years ago. Life's too short.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Seagate DJI Fly Drive about to be released. Portable, 2TB, and it has an integrated UHS-II microSD card slot for fast, easy transfer from drone to drive. 2-month trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CC also ...

Seagate DJI Fly Drive for Drone Footage - Portable Drive with Micro SD Card Slot and USB-C to USB-C cable (STGH2000400) Amazon.com: Seagate DJI Fly Drive for Drone Footage - Portable Drive with Micro SD Card Slot and USB-C to USB-C cable (STGH2000400): Computers & Accessories
I just went and picked one up this weekend. So far so good.. No complaints.

Alxum USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station, a cool tech tool for back up video, photos and movie, clone data.
Allows you to easily insert desktop two 2.5" or 3.5" SATA hard drives, saves hours to swap hard drives or duplicate a hard drive, supports up to 2x 18TB, takes advantage of UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for SuperSpeed transfer files up to 6Gbps.

Video:

Alxum USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station, a cool tech tool for back up video, photos and movie, clone data.
Allows you to easily insert desktop two 2.5" or 3.5" SATA hard drives, saves hours to swap hard drives or duplicate a hard drive, supports up to 2x 18TB, takes advantage of UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for SuperSpeed transfer files up to 6Gbps.

Video:
Welcome to the forum.
It might be a good idea to check on the age of the thread before posting and resurrecting a 4 year old conversation.
The dock is a good idea and I already use a version of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair