DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does replacing gimbal arm module cure LOS issues?

mike ferry

Reactions
I was having intermittent loss of signal issues with my early production Mavic Pro that would be flying along quite nicely when all of a sudden complete LOS (I fly from a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, so no interference or obstacles). This LOS would occur randomly and therefore flying over water not such a good idea (range for LOS varied from 1500 ft to less than 200 ft with direct line of sight). After a couple of failed attempts taking the advice from the online customer service, I was granted a repair voucher and sent my MP and RC for repair. After a few days (actually quite efficient), the repair analysis came back Gimbal Arm Module replaced $69.00 (actually DJI did not charge me anything).

1) Does anyone have any idea what the GAM has to do with random LOS?
2) No charge = MP issue?

Once I get my MP back and test, will update if repair was successful.

PS: as an aside, at the time of the last LOS, video from the MP did show that the gimbal went bonkers at about the same time as LOS, not sure if it was a cause or effect.

Last edited:
The Gimbal Arm module is a board that is about 1inch long by 3/4 inch wide inside just above the gimbal. The Board drives the gimbal motors and video plus the forward camera sensors.
Probably if faulty and video signal from camera is not sent to the wireless transmiters at the back of the Mavick then you loose video signal and other important info signal info which may or probably causes the app on controller to report LOS. Even thou you still have full controll of Mavic via controller, its only video and other telemetry thats lost. So the faulty board has been replaced.
c1b3ca5fa7a15533ffba62e3dcf1fe8b.jpg

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The Gimbal Arm module is a board that is about 1inch long by 3/4 inch wide inside just above the gimbal. The Board drives the gimbal motors and video plus the forward camera sensors.
Probably if faulty and video signal from camera is not sent to the wireless transmiters at the back of the Mavick then you loose video signal and other important info signal info which may or probably causes the app on controller to report LOS. Even thou you still have full controll of Mavic via controller, its only video and other telemetry thats lost. So the faulty board has been replaced.

Might explain why there was no data in the flight logs when I attempted to download using DJI Assistant 2.

Also would explain why no charge, Not Operator Error.

Dragonfly, that is the little port on the bottom right of the pic you posted here for?? the one just below and to the right of the SN. i always wondered

That port is for programming the board when new and setting up the alignment of the camera. It is only done once on a brand new board and camera. Only DJI technicians have the program for doing this.

DJI returned a drone:

1) Repair order stated that Gimbal Arm Module replaced, however, the reality is that DJI provided me a new drone having i) different serial number, and (ii) required me to activate. Fine with me, gave me an opportunity to purchase replacement insurance which I had not previously done good for another year

2) This drone much more stable than the previous one, flew out to 8000 ft (over Pacific) with solid sensors data all the way (compared to my old drone random LOS and could not go further than 1500 ft, at best), could have gone much further as the battery was only down to 82% but offshore winds picked up that reduced my ground speed to about 10mph during the return leg, even in sport mode.

I have a friend with early production MP with similar problems, he is returning his now, suggest anyone with early production model check for LOS issues

Reactions: Thomas B
I've just bought a new Mavic Pro and The other day it just cut the feed on me even on the controller there wasn't any data is that what happens?

my build date on the Mavic is 2016 I've only had it about 2 weeks. I will try again keep line of sight and just fly out and see what happens I absolutely ******** myself when it happened nothing on the controller would work it only came back because I double checked I had the a.c. to rth in the settings in go 4 app.

I was having LOS issues since I first got my MPP back in March. After months of trying everything I could to fix the issue, buying new cables, wiping my iPhone, etc.. I sent it to DJI. They did this exact same repair on it, and I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow. We will see. I really hope this fixes it, because I haven't been able to just use my drone as intended since I got it.

I just got finished unboxing my replacement drone (controller is the same, but it's a new drone with a new serial number), taking all the plastic films off and replacing the props. I had a moment of panic when it wouldn't connect, only to realize they had shipped it in WiFi mode for some reason.

So far, so good. I only took it up once because it's 100 degrees outside and I just can't handle this heat right now.

One thing I have noticed is that the gimbal on this one will pitch up beyond level (it looks UP!) My old one always returned to level, and I didn't even know it was possible to go up further.

I hate to dig up an old thread. I am curious what the job is of each of the two connectors going to the main board. Example, is the right connector video or vision sensor data. Is the gimbal stabilization on the board only? There are quite a few chip on board to think it is just a pass through board. I have searched for a diagram all night but to no avail.

I was having intermittent loss of signal issues with my early production Mavic Pro that would be flying along quite nicely when all of a sudden complete LOS (I fly from a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, so no interference or obstacles). This LOS would occur randomly and therefore flying over water not such a good idea (range for LOS varied from 1500 ft to less than 200 ft with direct line of sight). After a couple of failed attempts taking the advice from the online customer service, I was granted a repair voucher and sent my MP and RC for repair. After a few days (actually quite efficient), the repair analysis came back Gimbal Arm Module replaced $69.00 (actually DJI did not charge me anything).

1) Does anyone have any idea what the GAM has to do with random LOS?
2) No charge = MP issue?

Once I get my MP back and test, will update if repair was successful.

PS: as an aside, at the time of the last LOS, video from the MP did show that the gimbal went bonkers at about the same time as LOS, not sure if it was a cause or effect.
Magnetic interfering with signal transmission. Is what I would guess. I was explained to that gimbal mount is a number of small chips of a magnet ?. Shaped in order to fit the specific circular area needed for it to adequately move your camera sensor. Sometimes the the magnetic interference will cause issues to other pieces of the drone usually seen by gps Magnetic Interference warnings. There is a little tool that can be purchased from eBay made in Denmark and Germany looks like a new style card entry key with a chord. Once you plug it in you wave it around the exterior of your drone and its demagnetizes the certain areas how it doesn't effect the gimbal I have no idea. Then again depending upon how much use and vibration you put on the contoller it could be as easy as a solder point for the antenna starting to become loose I had my Mavic drop out of the sky it was a clean solder point and looked like a fluke just didn't get hot enough to stay affixed to the EMC board. Good luck ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54