DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how far can you see?

Incorrect. If an FAA official for some reason came by and saw that you were flying BVLOS, you would be SOL. Also, if your screen crashes and your drone doesn't respond to the RTH button, which I personally have had happen to me, you could also be SOL. Especially if it's just hovering there and a bird attacks it.

Sure is a lot of ifs. Lighten up and have a little fun. I logged millions on feet and rth has never failed me.

I tried a VLOS range test a few months ago and on a clear day against the sky, I got to 1 mile. It was just a pin prick, but that was the limit of my eyes.

I actually am a commercial pilot and have been for 30 years. So am thinking about this from a position of experience. Perhaps you should not go on the attack and make claims that others dont know what they are talking about, as you may expose yourself to be a fool.

Feel free to put your own point of view across, no need to attack credibility of someone else that you dont know

Im not making any claims, just saying i think it would be rare that both aircrew would pick this up.
Well written.

Reactions: Pietros
Here in New England, I've experimented on several occasions to figure out my greatest distance visible with a Mavic Pro. Around 1200' to 1600'. There are so many variables for visual acuity. Personally, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, against blue sky ... a white object is easier to see than a medium grey. Greater contrast. (Seagulls are a great example.) I also find that looking down (at the display) and then back up is a great way to lose Mavic sighting altogether! Especially beyond 800-1,000'. I've added a rear red strobe to experiment. IMO makes no difference in bright light. But, in late afternoon as sunlight weakens the strobe makes a really huge difference. With the drone as close as 1,500' the drone's buzzing is often the way to find it when visually lost. (Have never experimented at night.)

I have mini binos... just in case, but in Canada flying at night is prohibited,so that sorta makes the strobe issue a non start here

Last edited:
You can most certainly spot at drone at 150 knots, just like you can spot a small bird at those speeds. Which, if you've ever spent time in a cockpit, you would know. Is it easy? Not necessarily, because spotting a plane that you know is around is not the easiest. Are you spotting the drones from far away? Probably not, but you can certainly see them when they're closer. Is it improbable for trained individuals to spot something flying in the air? Not particularly.
Your suspicious nature should first be backed by personal experience, otherwise you're just exposing that you don't in fact know what you're talking about, which means you devalue your own opinion.

You can most certainly spot at drone at 150 knots, just like you can spot a small bird at those speeds. Which, if you've ever spent time in a cockpit, you would know. Is it easy? Not necessarily, because spotting a plane that you know is around is not the easiest. Are you spotting the drones from far away? Probably not, but you can certainly see them when they're closer. Is it improbable for trained individuals to spot something flying in the air? Not particularly.
Your suspicious nature should first be backed by personal experience, otherwise you're just exposing that you don't in fact know what you're talking about, which means you devalue your own opinion.
Jeez how can I block u....

just wondering how far away some of you can easily see your bird. Im not trying to start a line of sight debate, just wondering.
cheers
VLOS is quite tricky. One day VLOS maybe @100', the next day 30' or less. So many variables that can affect that. Best thing I can come up with is keeping an eye on AC telemetry via RC controller, coupled with the use of binoculars (I know, not true VLOS according to the FAA). Also, remember that as you fly at a constant altitude and increase distance, perspective changes. Your AC at 20' altitude and 30' in distance will look quite different at 20' altitude at 100' distance (illusion of AC dropping in altitude). That is why I laugh at the FAA's definition of VLOS...no set parameters!

Reactions: Dizzy1971
Line of Sight does not mean that you can recognize your drone, it just means that you have line of sight to it. In other words, you can draw a line from your eye to where the drone is. The purpose is so you can be aware of things in the environment that may constitute a safety hazard, such as a low flying aircraft or helicopter. Below the horizon, behind trees is not VLOS.

Line of Sight does not mean that you can recognize your drone, it just means that you have line of sight to it. In other words, you can draw a line from your eye to where the drone is. The purpose is so you can be aware of things in the environment that may constitute a safety hazard, such as a low flying aircraft or helicopter. Below the horizon, behind trees is not VLOS.
That’s a great point! Funny I always have assumed VLOS was defined by the actual ability to see your MP. I guess that’s part of being a newby,seeing a broader definition once someone points it out!
Oh wait... the Canadian rules must be different, here the transport Canada order specifically states that the pilot must be able to see their quad.

Last edited:
I did a test yesterday, nice clear day, fly straight out from me, watched it go out to over 1,700 feet, stop, took my eye off it for a few seconds, looked back to where it was and couldn't find it. Of course my eye sight isn't that great any more.

The interesting thing I noticed was how the curvature of the earth (yes, I believe the earth is round) was so apparent. As I few out I lined it up with a V in the tree line located about 200 feet from where I was standing and had to keep raising the MP higher from about 60 feet to over 300 feet up at 1,700 feet out. I will have to see if I remember my spherical trigonometry and mathematically verify the numbers. :eek:

Last edited:
i was just wondering at commercial airlines that seem to spot drones. their approach speed is generally around 250ft or 77m per second. Plus for anyone who has flown from the cockpit, picking an object out of space is already hard, especially when i would guess focus would be on the ground.
I would think it would be super lucky for a pilot to see a drone that is very close, let alone both aircrew seeing it. Maybe its just my suspicious nature that has me wondering at some of the sightings
drone-id-chart.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro