DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How fast is the SSD write speed on Cine models?

Breakfast Time

Reactions
I use my Mavic 3 alongside various other drones and cameras in my photographic (stills) business. This is the original version with 2 lenses and no SSD.

Image quality and detail is very important to me and to make the most of the small sensor in this folding drone I always use the auto bracketing feature and take 5 raw exposures at a time, and often about 5 or 6 shots wide to create HDR panoramas made of 25-30 images in Lightroom Classic.

Obviously this is quite a lot of data to be transferring to the micro sd card and there is considerable lag between taking each set of bracketed images. I am sure it would benefit me if I could do it quicker so I was wondering if anyone could tell me or test the speed of this workflow with a Cine model with built in SSD.

I’m likely to upgrade to the Mavic 3 Pro and am trying to gauge whether it’s worth going for the Cine package just for this upgrade even though I don’t need the pro remote, ProRes licence, or any more batteries. Sadly the drone is not available without these accessories.

I could buy a used Mavic 3 Cine but I also see great benefit in the new 3x lens.

Thanks, Jack

Attachments

• 2F4B5B77-F7C7-4C59-B759-E29FEF016AC6.jpeg
    2F4B5B77-F7C7-4C59-B759-E29FEF016AC6.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I don't know the exact speed difference since i don't have a cine but when you do a 5 shout AEB the cine will indeed finish faster. How much faster I don't know. The big issue with it from my perspective (other than cost) is that if the SSD fails/glitches for any reason you will have to send it back in so if you go with a cine I'd be sure to NOT sell your current drone so you have it as backup. The reason for the SSD isn't for faster AEB but rather to allow ProRes to be written to the card and those files are HUGE. It's hard for me to imagine the cost being worth it to gain a few seconds for every AEB but I guess it could add up over time and professionally time is indeed money. You may have known all this already lol.

Is the SSD in these things prone to failure? You could continue using the micro SD to complete a job presumably before sending it off.

I also have a Mini 2 and M600 Pro so wouldn’t be completely stuck if this rare situation did come up.

It’s more about being able to take more images and angles in a small window of opportunity rather than saving 20-30 seconds per completed panoramic image. I will have to time how long the lag is currently.

I've not heard of any big issue with the SSD's. They are typically very robust since there are no moving parts. I don't really think it would be a big worry; just a consideration. It's a tax right off so go get a couple and let us know! :)

The Mavic 3 Cine has to be at least 3,800Mbps in order to support the ProRes maximum bit rate stated on the specs page. So I'm guessing it's at least 4,000 or more to give a little margin.View attachment 163249
Is this right?

I was just curious so I wanted to convert Mbps to GB per minute.

I used the formula on this page and it showed 2500Mbps = 150GB per minute

Megabytes Per Second to Gigabytes Per Minute | Kyle's Converter

if that's the case, a 1TB SSD could only contain a little more than a 6 minute video?

• Wow
Is this right?

I was just curious so I wanted to convert Mbps to GB per minute.

I used the formula on this page and it showed 2500Mbps = 150GB per minute

Megabytes Per Second to Gigabytes Per Minute | Kyle's Converter

if that's the case, a 1TB SSD could only contain a little more than a 6 minute video?
Mbps = Megabits per second. Not MegaBytes MBps.
So with the calculator you used it would be 2500 Mbps = 18.75 GB per minute.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, looks like that SSD will be vastly quicker.

If anyone has a Cine model could you do me a massive favour and time how quickly you can take a series of 5x 5 auto bracketed images on the main camera? The drone does not need to be flying obviously. This should allow me to make a real world comparison.

Also is it likely the Mavic 3 Pro Cine model will be sold without without the pro remote and extra batteries in the future? I haven’t paid attention to this sort of thing before.

Thanks in advance

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54