DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I get around with my Mavic: hardcase, bag, and homemade filter case

masmole

Reactions
I started out using my Osmo mobile Nanuk 910 case, which was a tight fit but kept the case smaller than the footprint of a macbook pro yet fit everything that comes with Flymore combo.
i-dk8Cm4m-XL.jpg

But then I acquired a 4th battery, PolarPro 6-pack filters and also realized I needed room for my old iPhone 6+ which I wanted to use as a back up display in case my iPhone 7 runs out of charge. Sadly, the Nanuk 910 case had no extra room for any of these.

So I ordered Nanuk's slightly larger 920 case, which they have available with custom cut hard foam for the Mavic + accessories. Received the case yesterday and it's perfect for what I need, and will be what I travel with on road trips as well as a carry-on for flights. It carries the entire Mavic Flymore combo contents, a 4th battery (with spare room for a 5th if needed), a spare iPhone 6+, and my 6-pack for PolarPro filters in a homemade case. Even the car charger fits (it's stashed under the regular AC charger brick on the photo below)
i-k9KZCvN-XL.jpg

i-Xwp5jdt-XL.jpg

I've owned various types and brands of these watertight hard plastic cases from Pelican and other makes for my camera gear and have come to conclusion that Nanuk makes the best. Their latch design is the best and they also look as good as a case made of plastic can look. The only downside is their size selection is not as wide-ranging as Pelican's and they are on the pricy side. This 920 model however, is perfect for the Mavic in my book. Couldn't be happier with my choice. Ordered it from David @ hardcases.ca - he gave me a nice discount and has excellent customer service to boot. Amazon has it for cheaper but wasn't in stock when I ordered last week.

As for the homemade filter lens case. I simply re-purposed one of the many B+W DSLR lens filter cases I had lying around in a junk pile, grabbed an x-acto knife and cut circles the size of the Mavic filters on one layer of the foam that came inside the box. Instant custom case for Mavic filters! There's actually room for 9 filters but I only have 6 for now. Best part is that this is much smaller (3.5"x3.5") than the case that PolarPro originally packed them in, which makes the whole set slot in perfectly in the new Nanuk case or wherever I choose to put them.
i-7jh5kmz-XL.jpg

i-PWVsknn-XL.jpg

A little OCD you say? Maybe a bit ;)

For just walking around or travelling where a hardcase becomes too bulky or cumbersome, my "daily" camera bag is a small-ish Thinktank Restropective 7 "man purse" lol. Holds the Mavic, 4 batteries, the remote control with iPhone already mounted (and ready to go), Sony mirrorless camera with big 24-70 f/2.8 mounted, camera batteries, various filters, SD cards, an iPad, and there's even still room for a small prime lens on top of the Mavic batteries. I've travelled the world with this little shoulder bag, and now I can keep travelling with it with Mavic in stow.
i-vP2V6Xm-XL.jpg

i-s6pq8G7-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JtrJr
I started out using my Osmo mobile Nanuk 910 case, which was a tight fit but kept the case smaller than the footprint of a macbook pro yet fit everything that comes with Flymore combo.
i-dk8Cm4m-XL.jpg

But then I acquired a 4th battery, PolarPro 6-pack filters and also realized I needed room for my old iPhone 6+ which I wanted to use as a back up display in case my iPhone 7 runs out of charge. Sadly, the Nanuk 910 case had no extra room for any of these.

So I ordered Nanuk's slightly larger 920 case, which they have available with custom cut hard foam for the Mavic + accessories. Received the case yesterday and it's perfect for what I need, and will be what I travel with on road trips as well as a carry-on for flights. It carries the entire Mavic Flymore combo contents, a 4th battery (with spare room for a 5th if needed), a spare iPhone 6+, and my 6-pack for PolarPro filters in a homemade case. Even the car charger fits (it's stashed under the regular AC charger brick on the photo below)
i-k9KZCvN-XL.jpg

i-Xwp5jdt-XL.jpg

I've owned various types and brands of these watertight hard plastic cases from Pelican and other makes for my camera gear and have come to conclusion that Nanuk makes the best. Their latch design is the best and they also look as good as a case made of plastic can look. The only downside is their size selection is not as wide-ranging as Pelican's and they are on the pricy side. This 920 model however, is perfect for the Mavic in my book. Couldn't be happier with my choice. Ordered it from David @ hardcases.ca - he gave me a nice discount and has excellent customer service to boot. Amazon has it for cheaper but wasn't in stock when I ordered last week.

As for the homemade filter lens case. I simply re-purposed one of the many B+W DSLR lens filter cases I had lying around in a junk pile, grabbed an x-acto knife and cut circles the size of the Mavic filters on one layer of the foam that came inside the box. Instant custom case for Mavic filters! There's actually room for 9 filters but I only have 6 for now. Best part is that this is much smaller (3.5"x3.5") than the case that PolarPro originally packed them in, which makes the whole set slot in perfectly in the new Nanuk case or wherever I choose to put them.
i-7jh5kmz-XL.jpg

i-PWVsknn-XL.jpg

A little OCD you say? Maybe a bit ;)

For just walking around or travelling where a hardcase becomes too bulky or cumbersome, my "daily" camera bag is a small-ish Thinktank Restropective 7 "man purse" lol. Holds the Mavic, 4 batteries, the remote control with iPhone already mounted (and ready to go), Sony mirrorless camera with big 24-70 f/2.8 mounted, camera batteries, various filters, SD cards, an iPad, and there's even still room for a small prime lens on top of the Mavic batteries. I've travelled the world with this little shoulder bag, and now I can keep travelling with it with Mavic in stow.
i-vP2V6Xm-XL.jpg

i-s6pq8G7-XL.jpg
Nice. I was going to get the same hard case Nanuck 920. The slot up front will NOT hold iPad mini 3.. :(:(

Nice. I was going to get the same hard case Nanuck 920. The slot up front will NOT hold iPad mini 3.. :(:(
I hear ya... that's the only gripe I have about the otherwise perfect 920 case, as I would've liked to be able to fit my Nexus 7 (similar size to iPad mini) in there. However, there may actually be enough room above the drone and charger compartments (if the top props are removed) to place such a mini tablet. The convoluted soft ester-type foam on the lid will certainly give way to allow it. I will try that tonight and let you know how it goes.

I hear ya... that's the only gripe I have about the otherwise perfect 920 case, as I would've liked to be able to fit my Nexus 7 (similar size to iPad mini) in there. However, there may actually be enough room above the drone and charger compartments (if the top props are removed) to place such a mini tablet. The convoluted soft ester-type foam on the lid will certainly give way to allow it. I will try that tonight and let you know how it goes.

Great.... That would be a big help..... Can you make the slot longer??

Thanks

Last edited:
Great.... That would be a big help..... Can you make the slot longer??

Thanks
Foam modification is possible with a steady hand and an x-acto knife. The firmer PE foam makes this easy to cut into. I thought about doing just this to lengthen the slot to accomodate my Nexus 7, but laying the tablet right above the drone works just as well. Like I said earlier, there is plenty of room between the convoluted soft foam on the lid and the hard PE foam on the base to accomodate even the thickest tablet with case. Below is a photo my Nexus 7 (similar in size to iPad mini) with case and even without taking off the props and just laying the tablet over everything including the charging hub, the face of the tablet is still about 1/4" below the height of how much the mavic batteries protrude out of their slots. The 2nd photo is of a Sony Xperia Z4 tablet (10" roughly the same size as a regular iPad) which fits with the lid closing without placing too much pressure and stress on anything, just to illustrate how much room there is.

i-4MF86PV-XL.jpg

i-p6g2vxG-XL.jpg

Foam modification is possible with a steady hand and an x-acto knife. The firmer PE foam makes this easy to cut into. I thought about doing just this to lengthen the slot to accomodate my Nexus 7, but laying the tablet right above the drone works just as well. Like I said earlier, there is plenty of room between the convoluted soft foam on the lid and the hard PE foam on the base to accomodate even the thickest tablet with case. Below is a photo my Nexus 7 (similar in size to iPad mini) with case and even without taking off the props and just laying the tablet over everything including the charging hub, the face of the tablet is still about 1/4" below the height of how much the mavic batteries protrude out of their slots. The 2nd photo is of a Sony Xperia Z4 tablet (10" roughly the same size as a regular iPad) which fits with the lid closing without placing too much pressure and stress on anything, just to illustrate how much room there is.

i-4MF86PV-XL.jpg

i-p6g2vxG-XL.jpg

Wow!! That is perfect. Thanks for your help. Pics are great.
Now have to see who has the best price. The snow starting in NYC:eek:

i-4MF86PV-XL.jpg

i-p6g2vxG-XL.jpg

I started out wanting the 920 but remembered my OSMO Mobile was in the closet in a 910. Put my Mavic Pro in the 910, then saw your post and was happy that others thought the same about the 910. I commented on your other post about the Nanuk 910. Now I see this post and I am going back to wanting the 920 again. I need to get out of this forum lol.

Reactions: hanshaw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580