DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many Mavic Pro batteries do you have? Is having 5 overkill?

I have 4 and one more would let my fly and get one recharged for the 6th flight without a break (assuming lower than 25% for each flight). 5 is the right number. And we often go thru all 4 taking a break and still barely getting a recharge. Might add a charger, or use the 12 volt charger at the same time. Still, 5 would be better. (and we have a fishing gear bag for our carry, the sling is comfortable, and no one wants to steal a bag of someone's fishing gear.

3 batteries and an inverter in the car. 240v just plug it in. 40min charge 27min flight time. Just enough time for a drink. Perfect.

I agree with the earlier post, you have to consider that even if you have additional charged batteries you have to take into account your controller and cellphone or monitor battery status as well. 20+ minutes of fly time per battery is a lot of video footage, so unless you are doing multiple shoots in a day (back to back) you may have time to charge on the go. With that said it is always better to have extra and not need it then not have them and need them. I personally only have 3 for my MP and 2 for my Crystalsky.

I agree with the earlier post, you have to consider that even if you have additional charged batteries you have to take into account your controller and cellphone or monitor battery status as well. 20+ minutes of fly time per battery is a lot of video footage, so unless you are doing multiple shoots in a day (back to back) you may have time to charge on the go. With that said it is always better to have extra and not need it then not have them and need them. I personally only have 3 for my MP and 2 for my Crystalsky.
Yes I agree with you. I think the purpose of having multiple batteries, at least for me, is to go extended periods, let's say to last the entire day without having to recharge. Not necessarily to go as long as I can in one session. Of course, there may be times that an event may dictate that but honestly an hour plus of footage on one event seems to be a bit much.

I have 9 now, and have used them all in a flying session With Surf Life Saving.
As for overkill, well I can say those 9 are shared when my wife Who flies as well ,Puts hers in the air. I usually only fly 3 or 4 when I go out. It's always nice to have a spare couple "just in case".

For what it's worth I have 2 batteries. I guess would like a 3rd. I do a lot of flying right off my back deck. I'm about 2500 feet from the ocean so that's usually the direction I head. Also because my neighbors complain a lot about a drone in the sky above our neighborhood even though I am usually between 250 and 300 feet high.
I'm pretty sure if I had 3 batteries I would want 4 so I am good with 2 for now.
Happy flying everyone and thanks for all the help you guys have given me.

11 batteries :p but I use them on 2 Mavics

165ef432524fd8ed8a23c9bb09b145c0.jpg

2 battery banks and a filter case . Have never needed the banks but keep em there any way and normally only fly 4 battery's when I go out but like having a full one when on the way home in case I see something I might want to fly to .
Just out of curiousity... Will the drone have any problems running this long? I just feel like keeping it up in the air for and hour or maybe two depending on the quantity of batteries would injur the motors in an overheat or something.

Well I can’t answer that as I have never ran them back to back. I will burn 1 or 2 at one spot then move to another. Plus I hardly ever run them down all the way.

We had four (2 for my wife and 2 for me)...when I shoot video with two batteries, it's a lot to download and edit....I'm about 10+ locations behind in video editing, with no sign of catching up! I've gotten much more particular in setting up each run, recording only what I need, and eliminating the rest. For certain (trip) situations, 4 is a great number, IMHO, but one issue is that if you let them sit too long, they lose charge quickly. Not sure why, as most lithium batteries hold their charge for periods of a year or longer, with minimal loss.

We had four (2 for my wife and 2 for me)...when I shoot video with two batteries, it's a lot to download and edit....I'm about 10+ locations behind in video editing, with no sign of catching up! I've gotten much more particular in setting up each run, recording only what I need, and eliminating the rest. For certain (trip) situations, 4 is a great number, IMHO, but one issue is that if you let them sit too long, they lose charge quickly. Not sure why, as most lithium batteries hold their charge for periods of a year or longer, with minimal loss.
I think there is a setting to set when to discharge within the app for Mavics. sparks have a set 10 days before it discharges.

Yep that’s a good point, no good having 5 mav batteries if your controller pootches out after 3
Can you use the usb adapter to charg the controller with your 3 almost dead batteries?

I have a total of 5 coming. Mav should be here tomorrow. Excited [emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_