DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many of you hand catch your Air 2s?

I hand launch and catch all my drones including the FPV. There is usually no place to launch from or land safely in the forested areas where I fly.

Reactions: rgarjr
I got into the habit of hand launching/catching with the Mini 2.
One time I whacked my fingers pretty hard, but didn't break the skin.

Then I got some cut-resistant gloves (slightly rubberised for good grip, and in fact compatible with touchscreens!).
Now with the A2S I'm trying to remind myself to put them on every time. Just In Case.
Hopefully nothing nasty happens, and if it does hopefully the gloves will help.

Reactions: Skyryder
I was going to ask, would a cut resistant glove work?
Yes or those cheap rubberized ones from the gas station.

I'm sure even liner gloves would work too since we're mainly talking about plastic, most fabrics would hold up to it til the motor shuts down from impact detection/resistance. Skin just cuts really easy at the surface at fast moving blades especially if the edges still have a bit of flashing on them.

This for example easily would have been saved just from a thin glove, might have still stung but not cut. But the prop more likely would have cracked or chipped being stopped more abruptly, especially if it snagged against the fabric rather than sliding past the skin several rotations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221129_045934_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221129_045934_Messenger.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Skyryder
Hand landing always, but I launch from hand only when there is no place to launch from. Never had any issues so far.

I was going to ask, would a cut resistant glove work?
I don't know for sure. I admit I don't know that I want to risk damage to my props to find out.

But I hope so. And having something I can use the controller's touch screen while they're on has to be a good thing.

They weren't expensive either. Most of their cut protection is where a knife-handler would be at risk, so they're not completely armoured. But a reasonable start I hope.

I guess I don't really understand the need to hand catch. I have seen so many videos of this going bad in places where a normal landing was easily possible. It just seems like an unnecessary risk to the drone and the pilot. I bought a really nice landing pad that takes care of most uneven, rocky or dirty surfaces. Fits nicely in my drone bag so its never an issue to take it along. I have not tried to hand catch my Air 2S and honestly I don't think I ever will.

Reactions: gogorokokoko
I hand launch and hand catch my Air 2 and Air 2S all of the time. I was surprised to find that the A2S was a little more squirrelly when doing this. My A2s will sometimes jump to the side right after launch. It will also stop above my hand and refuse to come down while holding down the stick. So, when I launch, I hold the drone in front and above me so it doesn't fly into me. When landing, I bring it down in front of me and reach my hand underneath it to where it moves up. Then when I bring the stick down it will land in my hand.

My Air 2 would launch steady as a rock and would just come right down in my hand. Perhaps the sensors behave a bit differently between the drones.

The key I find is to take your time and make sure you are stable with your stance. I grip it loosely until the props have stopped. If you move it while the props are going, it will fight you trying to correct its position which isn't good.

Hand launching and landing made it far easier for me to fly in areas that aren't really conducive to using a landing pad.

Is everyone hand launching and landing using some kind of neck strap for the RC? Otherwise wouldn't it be very difficult to hold the RC and operate the sticks with one hand?

Reactions: maggior
Is everyone hand launching and landing using some kind of neck strap for the RC? Otherwise wouldn't it be very difficult to hold the RC and operate the sticks with one hand?
I do. I think it is essential. I let my controller dangle around my neck from the lanyard and I operate the stick to launch or land, otherwise it would be too awkward.

Reactions: JV Flys
I love the idea of hand catching and launching, and I did try it with a mini 2 but the Air 2S is a lot bigger, a lot heavier and with meaner blades. I know there are a lot of videos on it, but how many of you actually do this? Everyone says the blades can do some serious damage to your fingers if you mess it up. I am not sure if I want to risk that. I am on the fence about it.

All the time. Landing on the ground will kick dust, dirt and sand up into your gimbal and eventually it will get stuck.

I land on my car's sunroof too.

I do. I think it is essential. I let my controller dangle around my neck from the lanyard and I operate the stick to launch or land, otherwise it would be too awkward.
Yes, I just bought the DJI RC so without a neck strap I would be more worried about droping the controller then the drone LOL!

Reactions: maggior
I bought a very nice large landing pad that takes care of this problem. Never take off or land without it.
Since my accident, I’ve only hand caught it a couple of times when forced to by the terrain. The rest of the time I use a landing pad. I ordered a thin, cut proof glove, which has not arrived yet. I suspect the glove might be more of a pain in the neck than the landing pad but I won’t know until I try it. I’ll report back on how things go.

I use this technique on occasion when landing on rough ground. I bring the drone down to shoulder height and ensure I am (confidently) moving my hand up from underneath it to grab it. I will try Anthony’s method tomorrow!

I have launched and landed mine many times in the past. When I’m home flying I use the patio but when I’m out places I tend to do it by hand, its just easier and gives more options for location. I have however cut my hands a couple of times. Most recently I was talking with someone curious about drones. Caught it, cut the tip of one finger then tucked that finger into the palm of my hand to hide the blood. All in all it was not a bad cut just annoying for a while while it healed. I have hand launched and caught my Mavic 3 as well, an even bigger set of props.

Never hand caught or launched anything. Not worth the risk. Just use a landing pad for messy or rough services.

Reactions: JV Flys
Almost all the time I catch now. Easy to do with the Air 2s and if people are watching looks like you are a more confident pilot and tend not to sneer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej