DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to change Hyperlapse interval and length?

Heindrich1988

Reactions
I feel like I am missing something really basic... but when I select certain Hyperlapse modes, I am not allowed to pick certain intervals and lengths.

For example, if I select Waypoint mode, I am limited to just 50 shots. If I press on length, I am not allowed to choose anything longer. On circle mode, I am not allowed to choose intervals less than 6 seconds. What is going on? I've checked that I have plenty of battery and space on my SD card, so it's not a battery or storage problem...

I feel like I am missing something really basic... but when I select certain Hyperlapse modes, I am not allowed to pick certain intervals and lengths.

For example, if I select Waypoint mode, I am limited to just 50 shots. If I press on length, I am not allowed to choose anything longer. On circle mode, I am not allowed to choose intervals less than 6 seconds. What is going on? I've checked that I have plenty of battery and space on my SD card, so it's not a battery or storage problem...

It’s a bug that was introduced in a DJI fly update about a month ago.

Previously it would work correctly.

I posted a thread about it. I also sent a support ticket to dji, but they asked for a video explaining the situation.

I have been too busy with work to edit my video together and send it in. Got to get around to it.

A workaround to increase the length of the hyperlapse is to rotate the drone more in between waypoints and generally add more waypoints. This workaround is obviously not ideal since it probably not the shot you really want.

Funny that few other people have complained about this bug, I guess waypoint hyperlapse is not that popular?

As far as I know the shot interval is working correctly, however the allowed intervals are dependent on your shutter speed. If the allowed interval is too long, you need to increase your shutter speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heindrich1988
It’s a bug that was introduced in a DJI fly update about a month ago.

Previously it would work correctly.

I posted a thread about it. I also sent a support ticket to dji, but they asked for a video explaining the situation.

Oh, is this affecting all MA2 users or just some machines?

That is a shame... Waypoint seems the most intuitive to me. I tried Free, which was way too jerky due to my inexperience. Circle doesn't have the shot I want to achieve. I guess Course lock might work, but it seems a bit boring to me.

I have encountered the same problem with my M2 Pro. I'm limited to choosing 2 or 3 seconds for the length of the Waypoint Hyperlapse whether using my new Smart Controller (ordered from DJI) or the Remote Controller (that came with my M2 Pro) attached to my Galaxy Tab 3 or Galaxy Note 10+ phone). Yes I'm using the latest versions of firmware and software. I even de-installed and reinstalled the GO 4 software ... no luck. I also tried and reformatted two different recommended 128 G SD cards. No luck. Changing batteries nor the amount of battery left doesn't help. I'll send this off to DJI. Please let me know if you have a fix for this.

On my M2P in plain hyperlapse the video allows me to set the interval and never had a problem up the 8 second exposures for a given frame.

On my M2P in plain hyperlapse the video allows me to set the interval and never had a problem up the 8 second exposures for a given frame.
When you say "plain hyperlapse" do you mean hyperlapse waypoints?

Today I found that the number of seconds of hyperlapse waypoints length was somewhat related to the number of hyperlapse Waypoints. 2 waypoints would only allow a 2 second length, 3 waypoints 5 seconds, 5 waypoints would vary between 8 and 13 seconds. Weird!!!! One 5 waypoint hyperlase allowed me to choose a 14 second length AND allowed me to save it. I ran out of batteries before I could load that one and see if it retained the 14 second length. So I will experiment more and maybe set a few short waypoints at the beginning of the waypoint hyperlapse to drive the length options up and then delete those beginning files before editing the rest. I sent this to DJI yesterday ... hope they respond. If I can find the time I may do a YOUTUBE video on this.

Today I found that the number of seconds of hyperlapse waypoints length was somewhat related to the number of hyperlapse Waypoints. 2 waypoints would only allow a 2 second length, 3 waypoints 5 seconds, 5 waypoints would vary between 8 and 13 seconds. Weird!!!! One 5 waypoint hyperlase allowed me to choose a 14 second length AND allowed me to save it. I ran out of batteries before I could load that one and see if it retained the 14 second length. So I will experiment more and maybe set a few short waypoints at the beginning of the waypoint hyperlapse to drive the length options up and then delete those beginning files before editing the rest. I sent this to DJI yesterday ... hope they respond. If I can find the time I may do a YOUTUBE video on this.

The waypoints hyperlapse is bugged to hell.

The length of time is also related to how much you rotate the drone.

The bugs extend to what is an allowedable rotation angle.

In an extreme example I had the drone hover in place (not moving forwards/backwards, left/right, up/down)

By only rotating the drone in place,
I was able to set two waypoints with a rotation angle of 180 degrees. This hyperslapse also allowed the max length of time.

However if you move the drone the tiniest little bit, it won’t allow those extreme angles of rotation.

In another example. I moved the drone half a mile between two waypoints while not rotating the drone at all, and the hyperlapse only allowed like a 2 second length of hyperlapse.

The whole situation is very frustrating, because the bugs prevent me from getting the shots I want.

No... I was speaking of free flight hyperlapse. Not into much preprogrammed flight. Bought the M2P to fly it.

I like to fly the M2P too but I want to be able setup repeatable hyperlapse waypoint flights. That way I can get the exact route(s) I want, store the route(s) and then simply recall them when the weather/clouds/sun/time-of-day/traffic etc. are just right. Also, depending on the length/proximity of flights/routes, I could get more than one route on one battery. As soon as one route is done I can recall/initiate the next. That would let me recon and setup flights (that can take a lot of battery) and come back later (maybe at night) and simply recall/fly the exact route(s) I want. I submitted a waiver application for night flight.

Thanks for the insight on angles of rotation and number of waypoints. I'm going to experiment with different combinations that might give me a repeatable (but probably ugly) work around.

Question. Do you think it possible to restore a previous version of firmware and/or GO 4 software back to a point where hyperlapse waypoints worked?

Question. Do you think it possible to restore a previous version of firmware and/or GO 4 software back to a point where hyperlapse waypoints worked?

The update that broke hyperlapse waypoints was the update that allowed you to save them.

So you would have to use the old version where you had to set the waypoints at the start of each flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser