DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Confirm Focus??? How Auto Focus vs Manual Focus works in Mavic 3?

starduzt

Reactions
Even though we can choose focus mode i am new to this automatic focus...because there is no physical focus ring to set focus...
is there any focus peak option avaliable???..
or Whats the right way to set focus??? OR Leave it in AF and Just Tap on subject before pressing record button like mobile phones...

Simply How to achieve Perfect Focus...Yeah Even Aperture is wide open or Narrow things can be in focus i know those basics...

Still Wanna Know how Pro Confirms Everything is in Focus.....

Kindly Help

For the 7x telephoto, zoom into 28x to set focus manually, and then zoom back out to 7x to prevent focus hunting that can happen in auto focus. However, you will need to maintain the same distance to your subject. Repeat for any significant changes in distance. Focus peaking is also available in the Fly app. Set to off, low, medium, or high.

Even though we can choose focus mode i am new to this automatic focus...because there is no physical focus ring to set focus...
is there any focus peak option avaliable???..
or Whats the right way to set focus??? OR Leave it in AF and Just Tap on subject before pressing record button like mobile phones...

Simply How to achieve Perfect Focus...Yeah Even Aperture is wide open or Narrow things can be in focus i know those basics...

Still Wanna Know how Pro Confirms Everything is in Focus.....

Kindly Help
I'm not sure if I am talking the same thing, but on my M2Z I just tap on the screen to get the focus for that point. I also have the setting on that shows everything lined in red is in focus.

Reactions: starduzt
For the 7x telephoto, zoom into 28x to set focus manually, and then zoom back out to 7x to prevent focus hunting that can happen in auto focus. However, you will need to maintain the same distance to your subject. Repeat for any significant changes in distance. Focus peaking is also available in the Fly app. Set to off, low, medium, or high.
thanks for the reply may be maintain same distance will be eaither hit or Miss

I'm not sure if I am talking the same thing, but on my M2Z I just tap on the screen to get the focus for that point. I also have the setting on that shows everything lined in red is in focus.
this might be option...and best way to confirm everything in focus...just before press record button

thanks for the reply may be maintain same distance will be eaither hit or Miss
More often than not, the optimal 28x zoom focus of a distant object at effectively infinity will be good enough for anything over 500' away, covered by the depth of field. For closer objects, especially in the macro range, the focus is more critical and requires more frequent manual changes in low light, where auto focus hunts, if the distance tio the subject is changing. The goal is to avoid the disruptive and video ruining focus hunting in auto focus that can happen in low light, and at extreme distances with poor contrast and lots of atmospheric haze.

For nature and wild life shots, orbiting around the subject at a fixed distance is usually best, as they are less threatened because you are not coming closer, and you can find a safe distance, so as not to disturb their behavior, and observe feeding of juveniles in a nest by adults. Keeping the subject the same size in the frame is the best way to maintain the same distance while orbiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: starduzt
More often than not, the optimal 28x zoom focus of a distant object at effectively infinity will be good enough for anything over 500' away, covered by the depth of field. For closer objects, especially in the macro range, the focus is more critical and requires more frequent manual changes in low light, where auto focus hunts, if the distance tio the subject is changing. The goal is to avoid the disruptive and video ruining focus hunting in auto focus that can happen in low light, and at extreme distances with poor contrast and lots of atmospheric haze.

For nature and wild life shots, orbiting around the subject at a fixed distance is usually best, as they are less threatened because you are not coming closer, and you can find a safe distance, so as not to disturb their behavior, and observe feeding of juveniles in a nest by adults. Keeping the subject the same size in the frame is the best way to maintain the same distance while orbiting.
Thanks for the valueable reply

Reactions: GadgetGuy

This applies to video mode, in photo mode that doesn't work.
I've been shooting downtown sceneries lately, the skyline is more in the top half of the frame. The center of the image is miles before the skyline.
I was shooting in single mode 7x to get the DNG.

Before each shot I clicked a skyline building on the screen to set the AF at this distance.
If I switch to manual focus after, the focus frame jumps back to the center of the image.
I'm not sure if it keeps my AF setting. This is the big question.
That's how it works on the M2P. It freezes my AF setting if I switch to manual.
Setting the AF each time before a shot is annoying.

From the 7x single mode I can't zoom 28x without switching to explore mode.
Coming back to single mode afterwards resets focus settings. So this is no workaround.

This applies to video mode, in photo mode that doesn't work.
I've been shooting downtown sceneries lately, the skyline is more in the top half of the frame. The center of the image is miles before the skyline.
I was shooting in single mode 7x to get the DNG.

Before each shot I clicked a skyline building on the screen to set the AF at this distance.
If I switch to manual focus after, the focus frame jumps back to the center of the image.
I'm not sure if it keeps my AF setting. This is the big question.
That's how it works on the M2P. It freezes my AF setting if I switch to manual.
Setting the AF each time before a shot is annoying.

From the 7x single mode I can't zoom 28x without switching to explore mode.
Coming back to single mode afterwards resets focus settings. So this is no workaround.
Correct, designed for video, where it has a tendency to want to focus hunt when the scene is changing, but the subject distance is constant, or varies insignificantly. For still photos, turn on the Zebra stripes, and switch to manual focus for your primary subject, if Auto focus isn't sharp enough. The zebra stripes will allow you to find the perfect focus.

Reactions: MaxHam
Correct, designed for video, where it has a tendency to want to focus hunt when the scene is changing, but the subject distance is constant, or varies insignificantly. For still photos, turn on the Zebra stripes, and switch to manual focus for your primary subject, if Auto focus isn't sharp enough. The zebra stripes will allow you to find the perfect focus.

Thanks.
I guess you are referring to Peaking Level. I'll try that.
The Zebra thing is the overexposure warning...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3