DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to determine fly-safe areas with mavic mini?

simasher

Reactions
Hi guys,

I understand that this is kind a dumb question but it gives me a lot of head ache with different rules in every place. And I just wanted to make sure about it before start :)

I've checked this website and couldnt understand with yellow/green or blue/green double areas.

I'm living in Bellevue and I read that it is forbidden except few private areas. But what about Alaska and Portland? There are some green areas within yellow circle and some of them asks for special faa permission class d etc. Do I need to ask permission from all of them?

And also I'm little bit curious about mavic mini via propeller guard. Does it count for 250 gr / rule? I think with protector it will be heavier than 250 grams. Do I need to register if I want to use with propeller guard?

You are looking at a map of airspace. The Fly app has one that may help you understand more. I don't see a legend on you map.

When I fly, the app tells me if I'm able to fly or not and in few areas (airspace) it may restrict my flight distance and height but I fly mine everywhere I'm allowed.

If you want to get serious with airspace maps it's fun to learn and I guess... depending how you plan on utilizing your mini, it's beneficial. airspace

Depending on your research you may have heard that you have to register the mini with accessories attached, but that doesn't make too much sense to me. I will be curious to know the real answer to that one.

You are looking at a map of airspace. The Fly app has one that may help you understand more. I don't see a legend on you map.

When I fly, the app tells me if I'm able to fly or not and in few areas (airspace) it may restrict my flight distance and height but I fly mine everywhere I'm allowed.

If you want to get serious with airspace maps it's fun to learn and I guess... depending how you plan on utilizing your mini, it's beneficial. airspace

Depending on your research you may have heard that you have to register the mini with accessories attached, but that doesn't make too much sense to me. I will be curious to know the real answer to that one.

Thanks man. I've downloaded the app and will try definately.

I'm little bit curious about mavic mini via propeller guard. Does it count for 250 gr / rule? I think with protector it will be heavier than 250 grams. Do I need to register if I want to use with propeller guard?

Please do not fly with the prop guards on the mini outside! First reason is that it will increase wind resistance. Second one is that it will limit flight distance and altitude as it's hardcoded fail safe in the firmware.

Check park and local regulations first about drones and recreational flying. Then cross reference it with the dji fly map in regard to warning zones and no fly zones. Use common sense and you'll figure it out.

On the map page of the app press the triangle with the exclamation point then Recreational. Next touch and turn off the "Airmap Recommended Guidelines". This will remove the optional informational areas and leave the critical ones that need to be addressed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760