DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to dry out a Mavic Air

Terrygoan

Reactions
My Mavic ended up in the lake for a short time. I shook a lot of the water out then used a hair drier on low then put it in front of a fan. I then put it in a plastic bag with rolled oats. Is there anyother thing I can do? How long should I wait till I try turning it on?

I hope that the first thing that you did was remove the battery!
Never heard of using rolled oats, rice yes, but not oats. I’d have thought that oats would be dusty. Neither really lock up the water, just give it somewhere else to get damp
Activated silica gel is best, it really absorbs and locks up the water.
As for when you can try turning on your drone, if you aren’t taking covers off it’s going to be at least a week and I’d be tempted to leave it 2 weeks. If you didn’t take out the battery, it is probably all fruitless as the integrated circuits are likely shorted.

My Mavic ended up in the lake for a short time. I shook a lot of the water out then used a hair drier on low then put it in front of a fan. I then put it in a plastic bag with rolled oats. Is there anyother thing I can do? How long should I wait till I try turning it on?
I own a Mavic Air I would try to open one of the panels to dry it out further with the hair dryer
Amazon has these styrofoam pieces the fit on landing gear to keep it a float
Do you have any bulging battery problems

Rolled oats is a new one. I guess any substance that absorbs moisture will do. I suggest wrapping it in cheesecloth to keep the oats from sticking to it.

There are many posts about drying a drone. The general recommendation is to remove the battery ASAP and then flush it out with distilled or de-ionized water to remove solids that the lake water may leave behind. Remember that this also applies to the motors and gimbal. Then dry it as best you can perhaps with canned air and flush it again with 99% (or as high as you can get) isopropyl alcohol. Then dry again with a fan and put it in a sealed container with silica gel packets.

Since it was in fresh water instead of salt, you have a chance of success. Hopefully, water did not get inside the camera. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I hope that the first thing that you did was remove the battery!
Never heard of using rolled oats, rice yes, but not oats. I’d have thought that oats would be dusty. Neither really lock up the water, just give it somewhere else to get damp
Activated silica gel is best, it really absorbs and locks up the water.
As for when you can try turning on your drone, if you aren’t taking covers off it’s going to be at least a week and I’d be tempted to leave it 2 weeks. If you didn’t take out the battery, it is probably all fruitless as the integrated circuits are likely shorted.
Two weeks sounds good. I’d also recommend placing the drone in different positions. A day upside down, then a day on its right side, a day on its head, etc and repeat

I had a similar mishap and set my Mavic out in the sun for a couple of days. Fired right up. Although I did remove the batter ASAP. (Luckily my daughter is a good swimmer...)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032