DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to find the MAC address of the RC Pro

Chrislaf

Reactions
How do I find the MAC address of the RC Pro?

I am trying to set up my new RC Pro and I need the MAC address of the RC Pro to add it to my home WiFi network so that I can set up the controller and run the updates. All devices on my network require their MAC addresses to be entered into my router in order for them to be allowed on my home network. Most devices have the MAC address printed somewhere on the device itself or on the box that came with it but I cannot locate it anywhere on the either the RC Pro or its box. I do not want to turn off Access Control every time I have to do an update to the RC Pro. There has got to be an easier way of obtaining the MAC address.

Any ideas?

Chris

Perhaps turn off the Access control in your router & let your RC connect, then go into the router settings & check the new device that got connected, usually the MAC address is written out there.

Or ... if this RC still is Android based, it might have an ordinary Android settings menu & there a "About" section with a Status section ... on a phone the MAC address is mentioned there.

Reactions: maggior
Thanks for your reply. Yes, turning off access control is easy to do. Also, I have been reading up on MAC address filtering and according to the article I was reading it was saying that it is not really needed if you have WPA2 Encryption on, which I do have. So I may just turn it off and leave it off. Apparently MAC address filtering is easy to defeat anyway.

Chris

...turning off access control is easy to do. ...I may just turn it off and leave it off.
You don't need to do that permanently ... just turn access control off, connect your RC & then go into you router & look up the "connected devices" section, you should there be able to see the MAC address & can note it down.

Then set your RC up with the Access control on now when you know it's MAC address.

This is how a connected device looks in my router ... I mouse over it & the MAC address is shown.

1652282836944.png

How do I find the MAC address of the RC Pro?

I am trying to set up my new RC Pro and I need the MAC address of the RC Pro to add it to my home WiFi network so that I can set up the controller and run the updates. All devices on my network require their MAC addresses to be entered into my router in order for them to be allowed on my home network. Most devices have the MAC address printed somewhere on the device itself or on the box that came with it but I cannot locate it anywhere on the either the RC Pro or its box. I do not want to turn off Access Control every time I have to do an update to the RC Pro. There has got to be an easier way of obtaining the MAC address.

Any ideas?

Chris
On the RC Pro, go to Settings, Devices, then scroll down to the MAC.

Thanks guys, I’ll find it once the RC pro is finished charging. The problem is you can’t do this on initial setup because you can’t get into the Android OS until you have everything setup. Kind of backwards, but whatever works.

Chris

Thanks for your reply. Yes, turning off access control is easy to do. Also, I have been reading up on MAC address filtering and according to the article I was reading it was saying that it is not really needed if you have WPA2 Encryption on, which I do have. So I may just turn it off and leave it off. Apparently MAC address filtering is easy to defeat anyway.

Chris

Yes, Mac address filtering isn't going to stop anyone who really wants to hack into your network and is easily defeatable. I had mine on for a while (years ago) and realized the only thing it was keeping off of my network, were devices that I was trying to get on my network. If it makes you comfortable to leave it on, by all means do it, but you won't compromise security by turning it off.

Make sure you have changed the router's default passwords to something secure and keep on WPA2 and turn off WPS.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Just note that the RC Pro is set to use a 'Random/Private' MAC address when connecting. It will not be the same every time unless you turn this off. I had the RC Pro on prior firmware as was having major connection issues and the MAC issue was part of it. I went back and forth with DJI and the next firmware release fixed the issue. Just keep that in mind.

Just note that the RC Pro is set to use a 'Random/Private' MAC address when connecting. It will not be the same every time unless you turn this off. I had the RC Pro on prior firmware as was having major connection issues and the MAC issue was part of it. I went back and forth with DJI and the next firmware release fixed the issue. Just keep that in mind.
Yes, I changed it from Random to static or something like that (can't remember exactly what it was) so that it would not change every time it tried to connect thereby not being able to connect due to a mismatch with the recorded MAC address.

For now I have MAC address filtering on but may turn it off permanently as it just seems to be more trouble than its worth and doesn't add any more security to my network anyway.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom