DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to ignore Compass Errors

air.wolf

Reactions
I'd like to be able to land on an inaccessible surface (say, a building roof), which is almost certain to trigger compass errors, and then start again.

So basically I need to be able to ignore a compass error.

Is there a hack to do this? A firmware mod or something?

Note: I'm not interested in crippling solutions like forcing ATTI mode for the whole duration of the flight. I'd like to have the compass and GPS available, since they will work fine as soon as I clear the interfering start point. So all I need is to disable the start prevention when there's a compass error.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a way but I just ran into that kind of problem and let you know what I did. I took off from a parking garage and had the compass error. I did a calibration and it worked fine and took off from my hand then landed in my hand then changed batteries and took off from my hand again. Didnt have any issues doing it that way.

He's talking about landing into a compass hazard, not takeoff.
I didn't think a Mavic would self launch after landing even in that situation.
It may want to avoid landing there though.

I'd like to be able to land on an inaccessible surface (say, a building roof), which is almost certain to trigger compass errors, and then start again.
So basically I need to be able to ignore a compass error.

Note: I'm not interested in crippling solutions like forcing ATTI mode for the whole duration of the flight. I'd like to have the compass and GPS available, since they will work fine as soon as I clear the interfering start point. So all I need is to disable the start prevention when there's a compass error.
If you land on a steel roof or reinforced concrete etc, the compass will warn you of a real problem.
There is no way to get around that problem except to climb above the magnetic influence the compass is warning you of.
If you tried landing there, you might crash during the landing because the drone would fly erratically when close to the steel roof.
But if you landed on a steel roof safely and tried to restart, you run a serious risk of worse problems causing a yaw error that would make the drone impossible to control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr