DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to poop your pants: Volume 1

LUPID

Reactions
Hey there,

Recently had a job in Chicago at the Sheraton Grand, downtown.

I found a clear space at the end of the walkway and fired up the Mavic. App asked for calibration of compass, so I did one. Took off and well, here's the video.

It took off, backwards, as error messages lit up my screen. Seemed like full speed away, so reading the errors was second to keeping my eyes on the out of control Mavic. I quickly mashed the pause button on the controller and I think that's where it stopped. As I regained control, seagulls began to get really curious to add a little bit of drama to my peaceful catastrophe.

I flew it back and landed safely, never getting enough control to really complete my mission.

Here are the only real "useable" clips from the day.

My guess is the concrete/rebar reinforced walkway I was calibrating and standing on, in combination with the tall buildings, limiting my GPS reception, combined to force my craft into ATTI/OPTI modes and my "pause smash" aborted a crash from faulty GPS data.

What do you think?

*also, didn't really poop. Had a mini heart attack though.

Last edited:
If I'm not more than 300 miles from the last place I calibrated, or did an app update. I'm not calibrating the compass again. No need to. In my opinion of course.

Magnetic interference can cause DJI Go to request a calibration, and the result can be chaos.

Yeah, I'm in Denver and have only had to calibrate once in 100+ flights. Got it home from Chicago and flew it without issue and no recalibration either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise