DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to regain connection to RC

Reactions
My MA crashed after losing signal, after going round and round with DJI I had to pay $350 to replace it. I guess it could have been worse, but then again a unit shouldn’t drop signal like it did

Either way, in the likely event this occurs again I’m wondering if there is a way to reestablish connection to the drone so I don’t lose it. I did put refresh care on the new one but I’d prefer not to use it.

Thanks

I think we need more details on exactly what happened here. If the signal between controller and craft was lost for more than 3 seconds, then it should have initiated an emergency RTH. If you properly set the home point before takeoff and had set an appropriate RTH altitude then your MA should have come right back to you.

If however you lost connection between your controller and phone/tablet, then the crash would most likely become pilot error because it was still fully under your control.

So we need to know what happened before anyone can recommend how to best resolve the problem in the future.

I have another thread about the crash, basically flew out and signal dropped when I got back, approx 100’ up and 24’ from where I took off, and it tried to RTH. I was flying near a power substation and took off on the edge of a tree. I didn’t have precision landing on so the home point wasn’t spot on so it thought it was in the tree instead of just away from the tree.

Dji said it was pilot error due to being near trees, near a power substation, and the drone being above me. I truly think there is/was an issue with the drone for various other issues I had experienced but DJI disagreed and ultimately they have the final word. They did knock $60 off the original quote so I guess that was nice.

But, in the event this occurs again I would like to try to regain connection. At the time I tried repositioning myself and the antennas and restarting dji go4 and then the remote to no avail. Then it crashed.

I don’t have your answer, but feel compelled to say to avoid flying near power substations, etc as the magnetic field and electrical power radiations have to affect the drone. When working for HL&P in Galveston you could see electrical discharge running down poles to ground. I hope you get satisfactory resolution to your question, but I felt I had to mention this as a confounding factor.

Last edited:
I don’t have your answer, but feel compelled to say to avoid flying near power substations, etc as the magnetic field and electrical power radiations have to affect the drone. When working for HL&P in Galveston you could’ve. See electrical discharge running down poles to ground. I hope you get satisfactory resolution to your question, but I felt I had to mention this as a confounding factor.

Yeah I work in substations in the metro Detroit area so I see it all the time. However, it seems there should be little to no rf interference as the electrical stuff operates at 60hz where the WiFi in the remote operates at a much higher frequency. I think the bigger concern when operating near high voltage lines is arc over as these little guys are to some degree conductive. If you were to go between phases you’re looking to short across them and it will explode. Flying in a station and causing damage could also get you into a ton of hot water. Don’t ask why I did it, thought I’d be fine and almost was. I wasn’t.

I know there are drone companies, and now even DJI, that market towards the power industry for things like patrolling lines and station inspections. I would think there isn’t much concern about rf interference if they’re advertising it for that use.

But I could be wrong. Either way I will not be taking it to work anymore.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista