DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to setup my monitor?

realitycheck

Reactions
Alright I dont know if this is the right place or not but thought I would start with all the knowledgeable people on here.
Im trying to figure out why when I edit a video it looks fine on my computer but then when I watch on a different monitor at work or my phone everything is darker. I purchased a new monitor not long ago, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-i2779vh-27-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770306.p?skuId=5770306
and didnt really change any settings after plugging it in.
I use hitfilm express 2017 for my editing and watch the videos after exporting in windows media player. Even after I post it to youtube it looks the same. Any suggestions?

The easiest thing to do would be to lower your brightness so that you see what they see.. you can buy a calibration probe to make sure your monitor is set up correctly but you still have to keep in mind that nobody else did. I edit my photos/videos to look good on my properly calibrated monitor and then I look at them on somebody else's TV and I'm ready to claw my eyes out, most TVs oversaturate and apply "smoothing" so everything looks like a "HDR effect" soap opera... So as much as I applaud your effort to get it right, I'd say don't lose your sleep over it because you'll never get it 100% since you don't control the entire chain. (unless you need to get it right for print etc but that's an entirely different can of worms)

Ok I'll try that. That's all I want is to try to get it closer so when I color grade my footage which I can see details in the shadows just fine it wasn't turn black when I watch I somewhere else.

Ideally a screen should be properly profiled and calibrated (using hardware not the terrible OS supplied things) and also set at the correct brightness for the ambient light (some hardware can auto adjust).
Its fairly common for people to have monitors way too bright. The result of this is anything that looks good on there looks too dark on a correctly or even differently set up screen
Some modern screens, especially laptops are so bright that under normal room lit conditions they dont need to be over 15% brightness.

For any sort of proper work you really have to be working from a calibrated, profiled display so you have a standard to actually work to. Otherwise you're just editing for that specific screen at that specific background light level and nothing more.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Try to find someone with a Spyder or Colormunki near your place and use that to calibrate the monitor. I use a Colormunki since years, which can also calibrate the printer. And dont be astonished, A really well calibrated screen will look more flat than you think.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman