DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to splice several video shots

What software is the best for editing video?
Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid, Davinci are all great pieces of software to edit your video footage, however, they all have a steep learning curve and cost a good bit of money. So the answer to your question is the above. With that said, I wonder if you meant to ask what is the easiest to learn, video editing software out there, that gives good results, has all the bells and whistles that you need and is affordable? That of course, would be a different answer to the above.

It all depends what you budget is, how much time you wish to spend in learning to use it and how computer savvy you are as well as the size, speed and type of platform you expect to use to do the editing.

What software is the best for editing video?
The one that works for you! Depends upon what you want to do with the video after editing it. The more sophisticated and discriminating your audience, the better your video editor needs to be to support it. If you only need 1080p output for YouTube watched on a Smartphone, no need to invest in 4K editors that support proxies, or even shoot in 4K, for that matter! Your needs and budget and hardware determine what is best for you! Unless you and your audience also have 4K monitors, the 4K quality will never be appreciated.

Reactions: Thomas B
Start out with the free imovie or windows movie maker then advance is a good plan. I settled with Movavi as it does everything I need and is easy to use.

Reactions: EricE
Hey guys, just a heads up on a new Video Editing system coming out. On1 which is a great photo editing programme, will be launching a new video editing system into their offerings in November. They state it is going to be a very user friendly and easy editing system and is intended for the drone flyer market as well, so everyone interested please do a search on the net for On1 editing and see what they have for video editing coming soon. Not much info right now but they should be making a good system if their photo editing is anything to go by. I have ben using that for years as well as Photoshop.
Hey, thanks for this info! I use On1 Photo RAW all the time; have been to their office and gone to lunch with some of those guys. Great software, great people. Delighted they're coming out with video editing stuff as the photo editing stuff is great and totally easy to use. Until then, I'll continue on with iMovie. I'd love to use DaVinci Resolve, but for me the learning curve was entirely too steep.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Quick and dirty I use IMovie.

For most jobs I uses Lumafusion. It will handle all my needs and I can edit on sight if need be.

Thanks Mulligan. Any thoughts on why my video is broken up into several shots?
Remember when creating a movie from your files that the attention of a viewer will be lost for anything much over 10s clips. So, while sounding like a beautiful idea, those slow 2m cinematic clips are really very boring to watch. Far better to work with very short 3-5s clips with an occasional longer one (possibly ramped up in speed).

I use Wondershare Filmora 9 on a PC. It can edit 4K, assuming your PC is up to it (I have a Ryzen 5 2600X, 16Gb RAM and an EVGA 1660Ti and it works wonderfully). Filmora is one of the cheaper options, but does cost money. It is linear timeline based, so relatively easy to use.
For music/sound I use epidemicsound.com which costs a small amount each month.

It saddens me to see that few people with these amazing drones upload their content in 4K. Yes, I know YT messea round with it and I know 4K screens aren't a big thing right now but even on my 1080 screen I can still see the difference between 1080 and 4K footage. I also do understand that some people don't have the horsepower in their PC's/laptops/Apples to be able to edit 4K footage. I always film and upload in 4K.

I personally use Sony Vegas Pro 15 (going to upgrade to 17 soon) for all my video editing. Started to get used to it on earlier version, and found out that it was way more easier (and costly) than Adobe Premiere. :cool:

I personally use Sony Vegas Pro 15 (going to upgrade to 17 soon) for all my video editing. Started to get used to it on earlier version, and found out that it was way more easier (and costly) than Adobe Premiere. :cool:
Are you sure you want to say "and Costly" here, or did you actually want to say "Cost Effective", because they mean two different and opposite things?

If you have a newer Apple computer, the latest version of Final Cut Pro will edit in 4K. I like saving both a 4K and a 1080 version of my videos. The website Vimeo is great for posing your 4K versions.

I use free version of Davinci Resolve. Can edit 4K as long you didn't need fancy feature from it that will need you to buy the commercial version.

Are you sure you want to say "and Costly" here, or did you actually want to say "Cost Effective", because they mean two different and opposite things?
"Cost Effective" of course. Vegas Pro being cheaper than Premiere (at least what I noticed on my side after using both for a while) :cool:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_