DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to view drone height above ground for a .kml or .csv path

AZDave

Reactions
I'm using DroneViewer to convert the video and .srt files from my Mavic Air 2 to .kml files for viewing in Google Earth. I can obviously see the elevation data for any point on the path, but the elevation information is expressed as height above sea level. I'd like to be able to also see height above actual ground level for the path, and since the latitude and longitude are clearly defined it seems like there should be a quick and easy way to do the subtraction. It appears that DroneViewer does not have this option. I've tried exporting the path from DroneViewer to .csv, stripping the altitude information and converting back to .kml, loading that into Google Earth separately to define a path along the ground, and then exporting from Google Earth to .csv to do the altitude comparison in Excel ... but that hasn't worked for me so far. Anyone have a better method?

I did discover that GPS Visualizer will take the .KML file that DroneViewer exports, strip the elevation data, and use the lat/long information to create its own .KML file. The result shows only the terrain elevation profile, not the drone elevation profile. I'd normally expect to be able to just compare the two .KML files (and I can see both of them in Google Earth), but the formats are different between the two and not easily compared. Any of the online .KML to .CSV (or text) converters that I've found ALSO strip the elevation data in the DroneViewer exported .KML (the one that contains the actual drone elevation) and replace it with looked-up terrain values.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost