DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Hoxa Head Second World War Coastal Battery, Scapa Flow, Orkney

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Another historic area to film on Orkney is not quite so ancient as the neolithic remains that most associate with the isles, but instead the remains of the First and Second World Wars, which are still very much evident, a poignant reminder of the impact of such a confilict on the lives of those involved...

Wednesday we visited Hoxa Head on South Ronaldsay and captured the reality of what now is and perhaps evoked something of what was... This is Hoxa Head Battery form the Second World War, an exposed site with panoramic views of one of the main approaches to Scapa Flow, the home of the Royal Navy fleet...

We also visited Balfour Battery, a remnant of the Furst World War, and the Block Ships and Churchill Batteries, which will feature in future video's, once the footage is processed...

Last edited:
You are certainly getting around aren't you! Well done.
Thanks... Holiday on Orkney for a week, has to be done.... Just a shame the weather hasnt allowed me to fly every day, but then again, a good reason to have to return to Orkney...

Love seeing these sights on your aerial travel vlog.
The intro shot as a pano would be better with more forward/backward travel, as stationary panos result in too much movement across the frame. You could simply draw a spotlight along the horizon or somewhere in the mid-distance for a gentle pano and add forward/backward and gentle rudder. @0:48, it's sort of similar like you're attempting something between a manual POI and a pano? With lateral movement, our eyes naturally try to fix on a subject for orientation. Don't forget your straight down shots and gimbal tilt.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Love seeing these sights on your aerial travel vlog.
The intro shot as a pano would be better with more forward/backward travel, as stationary panos result in too much movement across the frame. You could simply draw a spotlight along the horizon or somewhere in the mid-distance for a gentle pano and add forward/backward and gentle rudder. @0:48, it's sort of similar like you're attempting something between a manual POI and a pano? With lateral movement, our eyes naturally try to fix on a subject for orientation. Don't forget your straight down shots and gimbal tilt.
Thanks, it was an interesting site, but filled with nesting birds, which meant I didnt want to get much lower than I was - had to take avoiding action both here and at the Balfour Battery - which is soon to be processed and posted...

Yup, totally take on board the suggestions, looking at the footage afterwards I was kicking myself for some obvious ommisions in terms of what I could have taken and how I could have mixed it up a lot more, but we live and learn, even if it is taking me time to learn... Thanks again for the feedback and the suggestions, they are definitely appreciated..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky