DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse Alignment Help Needed

Bufface

Reactions
Here is my problem:

I take hyperlapses with the Air 2. The drone uses some algorithm to align the shots and reduce the shakiness of the video clip. It does a decent job, however: I want to use the raw files to get the ideal color and tone settings. I need a good alignment algorithm to use for post-processing my hyperlapse RAW files.

Here is what I have now:

1st segment: The video straight out of the AIR 2. Alignment is perfect, but its not from the RAW files and my color grading and tone options are limited.

2nd segment: The RAW files put in a sequence. Color and tone is to my taste, but there is no alignment and the video looks shaky.

3rd segment: Premiere Pro warp stabilizer. This completely messes up and causes some wild rotation.

I personally prefer the first example in your video which said it was from the Mavic. It seemed the smoothest to me, although I would slow it down maybe 20%. I get the concept of color grading, and it can enhance certain images/videos, but in general, I really prefer thing to look as they actually did when digitally captured.

Reactions: Bufface
Agreed with Brockrock. Have you tried some color grading of the first video using your video editor? I know if you're pixel peeping at 400% it's not going to look as good, but who does that? Honestly I think in a hyperlapse having the absolute highest resolution is way less crucial since it's a moving shot. I prefer the stability of the 1st, and would bet 99% of general viewers would too. I don't think you'll gain enough using the raw images, and will make the process waaaay more arduous than just using the auto generated video file and color grading it. Add a light touch of color grading of the 1st video clip in your video editing program and you'll have a banger!

Let us know how it goes and repost if you try the color grade of the 1st clip!

Reactions: Bufface
Agreed with Brockrock. Have you tried some color grading of the first video using your video editor? I know if you're pixel peeping at 400% it's not going to look as good, but who does that? Honestly I think in a hyperlapse having the absolute highest resolution is way less crucial since it's a moving shot. I prefer the stability of the 1st, and would bet 99% of general viewers would too. I don't think you'll gain enough using the raw images, and will make the process waaaay more arduous than just using the auto generated video file and color grading it. Add a light touch of color grading of the 1st video clip in your video editing program and you'll have a banger!

Let us know how it goes and repost if you try the color grade of the 1st clip!
Thanks for your reply, however my interest goes beyond this specifics of this particular example.

I am looking for a tool that will align raw files from a drone on my PC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0