DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse iPad workflow problem

branchie68

Reactions
I wonder if anyone can help with this.

I’m taking my M2P to Croatia and will only have my iPad Pro with me. I’ve recently started taking hyperlapse movies and encountered a problem with my mobile workflow. At home I always process the DNG on my pc rather than using the videos that the drone generates. However when I import into my iPad it doesn’t see the hyperlapse DNG files in the Photos app. It finds all other files, normal stills, videos and the hyperlapse movies just not the DNG versions of those.

So that’s a problem when I’m away as I don’t have any way to even get those stills off the sd card. I’m really not sure how to resolve this other than buy more cards so I don’t have to delete anything until I’m home but that’s a bad and expensive solution.

Does anyone have any sugggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

I wonder if anyone can help with this.

I’m taking my M2P to Croatia and will only have my iPad Pro with me. I’ve recently started taking hyperlapse movies and encountered a problem with my mobile workflow. At home I always process the DNG on my pc rather than using the videos that the drone generates. However when I import into my iPad it doesn’t see the hyperlapse DNG files in the Photos app. It finds all other files, normal stills, videos and the hyperlapse movies just not the DNG versions of those.

So that’s a problem when I’m away as I don’t have any way to even get those stills off the sd card. I’m really not sure how to resolve this other than buy more cards so I don’t have to delete anything until I’m home but that’s a bad and expensive solution.

Does anyone have any sugggestions?

Thanks,

Paul
So you are direct connecting the drone to the iPad? Try downloading the Lightroom mobile app which I know has support for DNG. Even if you don’t have a Lightroom subscription you may be able to get the DNGs off the SD card that way.

The other way is try moving the DNGs to your files app just as regular files and then opening them with the photos app.

You may consider finding a SD card reader dongle for the iPad which should be at any electronics store that sells Apple products. It’s a good investment anyway.

And lightroom

So you are direct connecting the drone to the iPad? Try downloading the Lightroom mobile app which I know has support for DNG. Even if you don’t have a Lightroom subscription you may be able to get the DNGs off the SD card that way.

The other way is try moving the DNGs to your files app just as regular files and then opening them with the photos app.

You may consider finding a SD card reader dongle for the iPad which should be at any electronics store that sells Apple products. It’s a good investment anyway.

Ah. Sorry. To clarify. I do have a card reader to connect the micro sd card to the iPad. Normally I pull the DNGs off that into Photos and then import to Lightroom.

However, using this process Photos doesn’t see the hyperlapse DNGs. These live in a folder called HYPERLAPSE inside DCIM whereas the hyperlapse movies the M2P makes (and all other media) are in the folder 100MEDIA. I can’t see any other way to browse to that folder in IOS.

Also couldn’t see any way to read the sd card from within the Files app...

Last edited:

And lightroom

Thanks. I did look at that but was trying not to have to spend more money. I also couldn’t quite work out whether that would let me browse a card folder structure from the iPad or would just copy the contents of the sd card.

And lightroom
+1 for the passport wireless and consider Affinity Photo app- lots of photoshop like feature at a one off reasonable price. Luna fusion is an impressive video editing app for iPad that works directly with the passport also.

Reactions: branchie68
Ah. Sorry. To clarify. I do have a card reader to connect the micro sd card to the iPad. Normally I pull the DNGs off that into Photos and then import to Lightroom.

However, using this process Photos doesn’t see the hyperlapse DNGs. These live in a folder called HYPERLAPSE inside DCIM whereas the hyperlapse movies the M2P makes (and all other media) are in the folder 100MEDIA. I can’t see any other way to browse to that folder in IOS.

Also couldn’t see any way to read the sd card from within the Files app...
Ah. I see. Hmm... That’s a good point! I don’t think the the iPad is able to see those with its OTG SD card reader. One of the limitations is it can only see media in that DCIM folder.

Wish I had a better way to do this but the only way I can think of is to use the DJI Sync app when connected to the drone via the remote. This will take a good deal of time but without a computer it’s the only way I know for sure will work. ‎Sync for DJI: Go Mobile First

On the plus side it can generate the hyperlapse from .DNGs on your mobile device which would be difficult overwise

I guess I will ask - isn't there any iphone app that can navigate to any folder and allow copying and moving? I briefly tried out an ipad (returned it to costco - too foreign). But I did find a program or two to allow me to move around those dam folders Apple likes to hide from ordinary users!

Ah. I see. Hmm... That’s a good point! I don’t think the the iPad is able to see those with its OTG SD card reader. One of the limitations is it can only see media in that DCIM folder.

Wish I had a better way to do this but the only way I can think of is to use the DJI Sync app when connected to the drone via the remote. This will take a good deal of time but without a computer it’s the only way I know for sure will work. ‎Sync for DJI: Go Mobile First

On the plus side it can generate the hyperlapse from .DNGs on your mobile device which would be difficult overwise

So...I could connect the iPad to the remote, open DJI Sync on that device and copy the hyperlapse stills over. It’s a good workaround for now. I can just leave it going once done for the day. Good shout. I’ll give that a try before I leave. Thanks for your help.

As a side note I spoke to Apple about it and they told me that a new iPadOS is coming. That will allow you to plug in a hard drive, USB drive etc. So that should be the fix in the long run...Autumn/Fall

Reactions: brett8883
I guess I will ask - isn't there any iphone app that can navigate to any folder and allow copying and moving? I briefly tried out an ipad (returned it to costco - too foreign). But I did find a program or two to allow me to move around those dam folders Apple likes to hide from ordinary users!

Not that I’ve found unfortunately. Nothing that will let you browse an external drive/card without buying additional hardware too.

Reactions: ff22
There are file manager programs for the iPad that should give you the ability to look at the folders in your iPad better.
They will even let you grab and push things to wifi external hard drives like the Lacie products.

There are file manager programs for the iPad that should give you the ability to look at the folders in your iPad better.
They will even let you grab and push things to wifi external hard drives like the Lacie products.

Hi. I’ve tried quite a few but none that I’ve found give you access to an sd card plugged in to the iPad other than the photos app importing images in specific folders. Is there anything you’ve found that solves this?

The simplest option which costs money is to sign up as an Apple developer and install the IOS 13 beta. Apple has finally removed a lot of restrictions in 13- SD cards and USB drives are supported and fully accessible.

The WD wireless passport option also works well. You stick the A’s card from the drone into the drive where it can be accessed directly and/or copied to the drive. Very handy for field use.

The simplest option which costs money is to sign up as an Apple developer and install the IOS 13 beta. Apple has finally removed a lot of restrictions in 13- SD cards and USB drives are supported and fully accessible.

The WD wireless passport option also works well. You stick the A’s card from the drone into the drive where it can be accessed directly and/or copied to the drive. Very handy for field use.
I’m an Apple developer and I would not recommend that on your main device. I can’t tell you how buggy it gets and there’s no way to downgrade without losing everything you’ve done since you upgraded to the beta.

I’m an Apple developer and I would not recommend that on your main device. I can’t tell you how buggy it gets and there’s no way to downgrade without losing everything you’ve done since you upgraded to the beta.
I wouldn’t recommend it either- public beta’s seem to be pretty issue free however.

Take it as good news that iPad iOS is promising to make the tablets a lot more useable. USB C native support on iPad Pro should a great addition.

I think I’ll wait for that to be a full release but in the meantime I also found this which might be a cheaper short term fix RAVPower FileHub, Travel Router AC750, Wireless SD Card Reader, Connect Portable SSD Hard Drive to iPhone iPad Tablet Smart Phone Laptop for Photo Backup, Data Transfer, Portable NAS, 6700mAh Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw