DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse Video VS Image Sequence

ForkCreative

Reactions
I'm a pretty new drone pilot (only had my Mavic 3 Classic for a few months) and I just wanted to share a beginner tip that I just realized, I'm sure most all of you knew this already but posting for the one person who didn't know. When you record a hyperlapse with your DJI drone (I'm guessing any recent one) you get both the image sequence and a composited video. When I was downloading I would open quicktime and import the image sequence not realizing the DJI already created a video. Utilizing the video that was created by the DJI of the image sequence seems to be far better as it utilizes built in image stabilization that you do not get if you simply create a video from the image sequence in post. The aspect ratio also seems better with the video vs image sequence. Just FYI.

I still prefer the image sequence because if you make it save the original dng raw files , you have a much higher quality footage that's raw in an editor like Davinci resolve yeilding a bit more than a 10bit video. Plus much larger and the stabilizer that can be used on a computer is much cleaner and adjustable.

Plus I like to double the duration and apply optical flow spees warp retiming on it to get more out of it.

This was an example of just using the dng image sequence.

I still prefer the image sequence because if you make it save the original dng raw files , you have a much higher quality footage that's raw in an editor like Davinci resolve yeilding a bit more than a 10bit video. Plus much larger and the stabilizer that can be used on a computer is much cleaner and adjustable.

Plus I like to double the duration and apply optical flow spees warp retiming on it to get more out of it.

This was an example of just using the dng image sequence.

That’s very nice, thanks for sharing that additional info!

As a follow-up for quick comparison.

One thing to note, when working with the dng files directly (as opposed to jpeg copies), the lens profile isn't applied automatically by editors such as Davinci resolve so you would see some vignetting etc. A work around is to pull em into a raw processor that enables the profile and then export as jpg or such but then you lose the raw editing capabilities in the video editor, so my tweak is to use a circular mask on a node to bring up the shadows of the corners.

Here's 4k straight out of the drone vs some editing from dng raw files (with stabilization, increased duration, and some tweaking) cropped down from 3:2 to 16:9 naturally.

…This was an example of just using the dng image sequence.

I’m curious about the very nice motion blurs of car lights. How did you set up exposure? It looks great!

Reactions: Jug's Life
I'm a pretty new drone pilot (only had my Mavic 3 Classic for a few months) and I just wanted to share a beginner tip that I just realized, I'm sure most all of you knew this already but posting for the one person who didn't know. When you record a hyperlapse with your DJI drone (I'm guessing any recent one) you get both the image sequence and a composited video. When I was downloading I would open quicktime and import the image sequence not realizing the DJI already created a video. Utilizing the video that was created by the DJI of the image sequence seems to be far better as it utilizes built in image stabilization that you do not get if you simply create a video from the image sequence in post. The aspect ratio also seems better with the video vs image sequence. Just FYI.
I don't want to break your bubble but the drone generated video is not of good quality, in my opinion as compared to shooting and saving the individual images in RAW and processing with LRTimelapse. When processed in LR Timelapse, you have all of the advantages of Lightroom AI adjustments of individual parts of the image such as the sky separate from the foreground, Frequently, the sensor exposed for the brightest area, the sky and underexposes the foreground, That can be corrected with the AI Masking qualities off the new Lightroom incorporated into LRTimelapse. Here is an out take of a series of hundreds of timelapse images. The stars were not visible in the actual image but with Lightroom AI on the "SKY" I was able to bring out the stars and tone down the foreground desert sand.

Attachments

• Starry Sky QSAR al Sarab .jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I don't want to break your bubble but the drone generated video is not of good quality, in my opinion as compared to shooting and saving the individual images in RAW and processing with LRTimelapse. When processed in LR Timelapse, you have all of the advantages of Lightroom AI adjustments of individual parts of the image such as the sky separate from the foreground, Frequently, the sensor exposed for the brightest area, the sky and underexposes the foreground, That can be corrected with the AI Masking qualities off the new Lightroom incorporated into LRTimelapse. Here is an out take of a series of hundreds of timelapse images. The stars were not visible in the actual image but with Lightroom AI on the "SKY" I was able to bring out the stars and tone down the foreground desert sand.
Thank you for your helpful feedback! I will look into LR Timelapse.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian