DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse with Mini 3 Pro.

astroprojector

Reactions
Mini 3 Pro is great drone, but for hyperlapse it is not so good. Whether you fly in a circle or course lock, the drone will not keep the correct point of view. I tried it several time in every time, the drone does some small rotation and some kind of shift. Look at these two videos.

This is Santa Monica Pier. I used the course lock option. The drone was supposed to move in straight line without any kind of rotations or shifts. Notice in the video it has a small wobble and then through out the clip, it moves straight, but there is some kind shift.

This is Downtown Los Angeles. I used the way point option. I set both points in slight rotation. Notice the same wobble and shift.

I am not an expert in After effects and not sure if the wobble and shift can be fixed by some other means, but this is somewhat disappointing. You go out and spend time hopping to create a nice hyperlapse, only to come home and realize time was wasted.

It could be the software that just has issues. But could it just be unstable due to wind conditions? You're asking a tiny drone to do a lot. Smaller drones are not going to have the same stability factors of their larger siblings. 250g vs 950g. Which will hold position better?

It could be the software that just has issues. But could it just be unstable due to wind conditions? You're asking a tiny drone to do a lot. Smaller drones are not going to have the same stability factors of their larger siblings. 250g vs 950g. Which will hold position better?
OP is showing examples of legitimate issues with a drone that costs like $800 and advertises the ability to do hyperlapse. He burns through a whole battery after getting things set up and then the results suck. I think he has every right to complain.

OP is showing examples of legitimate issues with a drone that costs like $800 and advertises the ability to do hyperlapse. He burns through a whole battery after getting things set up and then the results suck. I think he has every right to complain.
I didn't say he had a right to complain. I was just suggesting the possiblity of what made it not work right. The internet is a funny thing that allows for misinterpretation of intent of message. Perhaps we take it down a notch?

Last edited:
I think he has every right to complain.
Hold your horses, nobody is saying he hasn't. ;)
BUT we don't know, how these results were really compiled.

I pretty much suspect it was all done with the internal processing of DJI that renders out these videos (btw lovely composition @astroprojector 👏 anyway). Only doing stills I can tell you, yes, they work, but you really have no influence on how the output might be or differ.

Having said that, if I compare with the panorama function, better results can be achieved in processing them on your own on a dedicated machine with proper software.

I don't say, there's not a problem, but we do have to talk about the circumstances too: was it windy, what settings in flight, how were they processed, etc.?

From my short time with the Mini 3 Pro I can acknowledge, it is more prone to wind as my older Mavic 2 Pro with 1 kg. I've been flying at the coast and it sometimes struggled in panorama for not being able to hold the position properly. It needed 2 - 3 attemps to finish. And flying through a hot city with skyscapers might also bring some sorts of wind into the discussion. Or it's completely due to the internal software.

So my point is, to better understand what led to this wobbling, you at least need to combine these pictures on a seperate machine to see whether the drone and/or the software is causing this effect.

Hyperlapses done in the app will always be ****** even with the MP2. You'll have to learn how to stabilize hyperlapses with after effects (and I'm not talking about just adding a warp stabilizer, but manual stabilization).
And even after that, they will look ****** most of the time if you are too close from subject (wobbling, not fluid movement, bumping,...).
Position precision into wind will defenitly help.
Best option would be an RTK drone to shoot hyperlapses for more precise positioning.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329