DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hypothetical question: BVLOS, WiFi, and OcuSync

AliasFlyer

Reactions
Since it's nearly impossible for people to legally fly Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS), does the OcuSync range provide any additional benefit over Wifi?

The hypothetical, if there were two identical drones, but the cheaper option only had WiFi connection instead of OcuSync, would paying more for OcuSync provide any benefit since OcuSync's range couldn't legally be utilized.

I ask because, without comparing other aspects of a drone, I'm trying to determine if I should consider OcuSync a benefit even though I'm not going to be flying it BVLOS.

For those wondering, don't laugh at me, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the old Parrot Anafi vs. the Mini 2. I like the 180° gimbal on the Anafi but concerned about the quality issues I've read about. As for the Mini 2, I like the form factor and the seemingly more refined production but HATE the idea of geo-fencing on the Mini-2.

Anyone's thoughts, experience, comments are GREATLY appreciated.

Many, many discussions on these subjects. If you look at the bottom of your screen, MavicPilots has done a great job of "finding" similar threads when people won't / can't / don't do a search prior to asking questions that are asked many times.

Highly suggest looking thru those threads and searching to find possible answers, then if more "specific" questions may arise - then post those.

Nobody can tell you what drone to buy - that is 100% YOU. You have to decide cost / features / etc. that fit you to buy the drone that most closely matches your criteria.

So many people say they hate DJI and it's Geo-fencing / etc. If that is you - then I'd suggest NOT BUYING a DJI drone and go elsewhere. In my over 1 year of flying a Mini and an Air2 - I have not been locked out of flying one single time by DJI's supposed geo-fencing issues. I have encountered on a couple of occasions where I did have to get permission to fly and it was quick and easy. but that was before I got one of the many apps to check the area I would be flying in to see if I was allowed or restricted. Not had an issue with my drones flying since.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Since it's nearly impossible for people to legally fly Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS), does the OcuSync range provide any additional benefit over Wifi?

The hypothetical, if there were two identical drones, but the cheaper option only had WiFi connection instead of OcuSync, would paying more for OcuSync provide any benefit since OcuSync's range couldn't legally be utilized.

I ask because, without comparing other aspects of a drone, I'm trying to determine if I should consider OcuSync a benefit even though I'm not going to be flying it BVLOS.

For those wondering, don't laugh at me, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the old Parrot Anafi vs. the Mini 2. I like the 180° gimbal on the Anafi but concerned about the quality issues I've read about. As for the Mini 2, I like the form factor and the seemingly more refined production but HATE the idea of geo-fencing on the Mini-2.

I’d say the stability of the control and video link is the single greatest determining factor that will decide how much you enjoy your drone. I’ve had drones with bad video links and it is agonizing. Really makes you not want to fly and can never trust it. Even if you aren’t very far from the drone it’s the quality and the robustness of the connection. The Mini 2 is the real deal.

I would greatly recommend the Mini 2 over the Anafi. Being able to look straight up has really limited use in reality. I don’t think I’ve even been in a situation where I wish I had that feature.

I live right next to an airport and honestly GeoZones have never been an issue for me personally even though I hate the idea of them too. You have to be really dang close to the airport for the GeoZones to become a factor.

Reactions: AliasFlyer
I had a Mavic Mini and it frequently lost the video connection to the RC, sometimes when it was only a few feet away. It happened so often that I thought it was defective and returned it to DJI for a replacement but that didn’t really help. I upgraded to a DJI MinI 2 in February and haven‘t had a problem with it. In my experience, OccuSync is clearly superior to wifi at any range.

Anafi batteries are $100, mini 2 are $55. I havent found a place I'd use the 180 gimble so far. I'm sure it would be a nice feature, but not a deal breaker.

Thank you all for your comments. That's exactly what I wanted to confirm (that the OcuSync is beneficial for more than BVLOS flying).

I also appreciate the comments about the 180 degree gimbal and the battery cost.

Regardless, it sounds like the OcuSync feature alone is worth dealing with geo-fencing.

I’d say the stability of the control and video link is the single greatest determining factor that will decide how much you enjoy your drone. I’ve had drones with bad video links and it is agonizing. Really makes you not want to fly and can never trust it. Even if you aren’t very far from the drone it’s the quality and the robustness of the connection. The Mini 2 is the real deal.

I would greatly recommend the Mini 2 over the Anafi. Being able to look straight up has really limited use in reality. I don’t think I’ve even been in a situation where I wish I had that feature.

I live right next to an airport and honestly GeoZones have never been an issue for me personally even though I hate the idea of them too. You have to be really dang close to the airport for the GeoZones to become a factor.
Very helpful reply, thank you.

I'm glad to hear that GeoZones aren't as bad as I've read on other forms before.

Definitely go for the OcuSync.

My first trainer drone, a Snaptain S5C, had no GPS. The camera was pretty good for the price ($75), but it wasn't gimbaled.

It had an effective control range of about 200 ft.

Because of the VLOS rule, you can't use the full range of the OcuSync system (6 mi), but having solid control linkage out to 1000 ft is enormously better than only having it to 200 ft!

The Snaptain S5C was a fine little trainer, for what it was, but for me, anything that only has a 200 ft range is still in the toy category.

TCS

I actually did have an occasion when I wanted to look straight up. Can the Mini-2 do that? I seem to recall an option in DJI Fly where you can allow it to look straight up, but I haven't tried it.

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC