Join Us Now

I almost lost it !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1r_m0ses_b

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hello everybody,i think i am very lucky.
I was chasing a boat in spotlight mode about 400 meters from the coast .
I wanted to come as close as i can , but by my mistake i get very very close !
When it hit to the mast , i expected to sink into the sea .
To my surprise it stayed in the air . I waited some seconds to realize what happens and i bring it home .
I land and examined it but the drone did not have a little scratch .
It was my first crash after 5 years fliyng drones .
Do you think i was lucky ?

To my surprise it stayed in the air . I waited some seconds to realize what happens and i bring it home .

Lucky.... and, assuming that it wasn’t people you knew, a bit reckless!

Curious, in Greece you can legally fly that low over people and vessels? I really hope that is your (or a friends) boat you ran into!

My thoughts are, yes you were lucky that you got it back. A broke prop probably would have resulted in a crash.

I ran into a power line once and my quad fell into a canyon out of sight then slowly climbed back out to where I could see it and finally land. Rattled me for a while especially loosing VLOS as it dropped to what I thought would be a certain death. I felt very lucky.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Doing that to a strangers boat around here would likely get your ( Mod Removed Inappropriate Remark ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yes you were lucky. Turn on obstacle avoidance. Bypass or brake, not off. That being said, I have found narrow things, poles, branches, small tree trunk (2”-3”) tree trunk, I have hit.
The only setting that works reasonably reliably is brake. As this will stop the drone from getting to close. Bypass where the drone has no top or side sensors crashed into things thinking it is fine because it can’t see what it is about to hit. Just reacts to its programming and not to the environment around it.
Drone Ranger clear for now......

Altitude is your friend when you’re that far away from the drone especially chasing/tracking a moving object. The shot will be more cinematic and appealing. I have had several crashes while trying to get too close to objects and structures. Mine were on land and within reach.
Another point in general is collision avoidance is trickier to rely on when the obstacle is thin and as in this case constantly moving in totally random directions. Watch the top of any sailboat mast and it is constantly jerking one way and another. Simply not worth the risk.

In my opinion, there's no excuse for this. If that would have fallen on the people below, it would have been seen around the world as another (Mod Removed Langage) report against drones.

Kudos for admitting it was your mistake(and even posting something that is going to get you as much flak as this will) I suppose. If you had found the boat at the dock or whatever and gone and apologized to the owner that would be even better. It's the decision making process that got you to that point though that is kinda suspect. I'm not really a big fan of some of the laws we have in general so I won't go there...but buzzing some dude's boat who you don't even know and then HITTING it is kind of a ( Mod Removed ) move. That's just my $.02...

In my opinion, there's no excuse for this. If that would have fallen on the people below, it would have been seen around the world as another damming report against drones.
And of course i did not want to come so close.
I wanted to publish the video,to saw that we must be very careful when approaching moving objects.

Reactions: passedpawn
are you asking if you're lucky that you didn't get arrested? ...and make the evening news. and cause all kinds of people to hate drones..and and and...yes very very lucky

However..I've been tempted to do the very same thing ?

I‘m guessing you realize how lucky you were...

If I were the skipper of that boat, I’d be rather perturbed that your props may have sliced into my furled Dacron jib sail. Even just a little scratch/cut/tear can expand once that sail is deployed in the wind; but I’m not sure a MA2 can cut through that strong material.

On our sailboat, for perspective, a replacement jib sail costs more than an Inspire 2.

Another point in general is collision avoidance is trickier to rely on when the obstacle is thin and as in this case constantly moving in totally random directions.
Obstacle avoidance is no help at all when the drone only has forward looking sensors and the drone is flying sideways as it was in this case.

Hopefully the new zoom functions of the MA2 will help people avoid having to get so close for a shot.

Very irresponsible flight. You had no business getting so close. You are the reason so many people hate drones and those of us that enjoy flying them...responsibly.

Reactions: aokusman
Very irresponsible flight. You had no business getting so close. You are the reason so many people hate drones and those of us that enjoy flying them...responsibly.
Agreed 100 percent. This could have ended badly. Absolutely no reason to be so careless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk