DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am not bothering with the 48mp versions... am i missing something?

PeteGSW

Reactions
After a few test shots with the 48mp compared with the 12mp versions... (plus seeing reviewers and photographers on youtube saying the same) I am now only shooting 12mp jpeg and raw. To me the 48mp images don't look better or indeed worse at times. I found the same on the hi-res settings on an Olympus camera - underwhelming. Maybe for some situations it really works? but I really can't see the point. It seems like a gimmick to me but maybe I am missing something?

For now, the 48 MP do have some problems due to the nature how the are generated, most likely artefacts and colours.
That said, you still however can see the higher resolution in fine details when zooming which is hardly the same than enlarging from 12 MP.

I unfortunately already deleted my sample shots where you can see it, but it's a personal decision which you prefer.
I guess we have to wait if DJI's improving on the 48 MP but I acknowledge, for now, I always shoot 12 MP and 48 MP and decide later. For panoramas etc. only 12 MP are used.

More info:

For now, the 48 MP do have some problems due to the nature how the are generated, most likely artefacts and colours.
That said, you still however can see the higher resolution in fine details when zooming which is hardly the same than enlarging from 12 MP.

I unfortunately already deleted my sample shots where you can see it, but it's a personal decision which you prefer.
I guess we have to wait if DJI's improving on the 48 MP but I acknowledge, for now, I always shoot 12 MP and 48 MP and decide later. For panoramas etc. only 12 MP are used.

More info:
Thanks - I'll keep experimenting! and will try both again to compare. I guess I am also saying why/when do I need that much detail!

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I guess I am also saying why/when do I need that much detail!
Always seek the best image and detail with your photos. Its when you begin to crop in to get the image you really want that something gets lost when ignoring what the finer details add. If all you do is take photos and use them untouched.... you probably won't see much difference.

With the Mini 3 this will usually mean using the 48mp settings when in good light and the 12mp settings when in bad light where a higher ISO is needed. At 48mp and high ISO the noise will be bad enough to negate any advantage.

The iPhone 14 Pro which will be released in a few months is rumored to be taking that strategy. If reports are correct, it will automatically shoot at 48mp in good light and switch to 12mp in poorer lighting conditions. Automatic switching might be a good idea for future drone software as well, though I would always want the option to turn it off.

Here's a comparison.

The left is a 12MP photo in its native resolution (top) and rescaled x2 (bottom)
The right is a 48MP photo rescaled 0.5x (top) and in its native resolution (bottom)

12-48.jpg

Here's a comparison.

The left is a 12MP photo in its native resolution (top) and rescaled x2 (bottom)
The right is a 48MP photo rescaled 0.5x (top) and in its native resolution (bottom)

View attachment 151644
Pretty clear to me the 48MP version has more noise. It is also less sharp compared to the 12MP version. Since it is using a "Quad Bayer" sensor it is not a true or native 48MP sensor, which is why it does not look better. I think it is really more of a marketing gimmick than anything.

Funny for me I find the 48mp images much better compared to resizing the 12mp images in Photoshop ("Preserve Details 2.0" mode).

12mp:
12mp.jpg

48mp:
48mp.jpg

My biggest gripe with the 48mp photos is that they tend to be darker. I find the 12mp usually (but not always) tends to look better out of the box

Funny for me I find the 48mp images much better compared to resizing the 12mp images in Photoshop ("Preserve Details 2.0" mode).

12mp:
View attachment 151650

48mp:
View attachment 151651

My biggest gripe with the 48mp photos is that they tend to be darker. I find the 12mp usually (but not always) tends to look better out of the box
Is that your boat?

Pretty clear to me the 48MP version has more noise. It is also less sharp compared to the 12MP version. Since it is using a "Quad Bayer" sensor it is not a true or native 48MP sensor, which is why it does not look better. I think it is really more of a marketing gimmick than anything.
Yes. that's what i see too. Maybe it has some uses but I am just not convinced as yet!

It's all in the video.

If you need to shoot in higher ISO, 12 MP is definitely the choice.

If the light is bright enough to stay around ISO 100, than 48 MP offers a plus in resolution (yet artefacts and other colour anomalies) but you will not reach the same soft noise like the 12 MP out of the box. ;)

12mp:
View attachment 151650

48mp:

Yea something is wrong. There shouldn’t be what looks like over a stop of difference in the exposures. These were taken with the same exposure settings? DJI will have to fix this

Yea something is wrong. There shouldn’t be what looks like over a stop of difference in the exposures. These were taken with the same exposure settings? DJI will have to fix this
OK you have me interested now. Are others not experiencing the same thing? Yes, the exact same settings and only a few seconds apart. I agree the 48mp seems a stop or too darker, and I've experimented with increasing the EV, but it's still too dark in the shadows when the highlights start to get overblown.

OK you have me interested now. Are others not experiencing the same thing? Yes, the exact same settings and only a few seconds apart. I agree the 48mp seems a stop or too darker, and I've experimented with increasing the EV, but it's still too dark in the shadows when the highlights start to get overblown.
Is this with raw or jpegs? It could be something with the jpeg processing or raw profile.

Is this with raw or jpegs? It could be something with the jpeg processing or raw profile.
It's with JPG. I can see it through the controller - as soon as I switch into 48mp mode the shadows and midtones get darker.

Edit: here you can see the picture get darker in 48mp mode, but is brighter in 4k and 12mp modes. In this video you especially see it in the trees.

Last edited:
It's with JPG. I can see it through the controller - as soon as I switch into 48mp mode the shadows and midtones get darker.

Edit: here you can see the picture get darker in 48mp mode, but is brighter in 4k and 12mp modes. In this video you especially see it in the trees.
Yea but you are using auto exposure so it’s not clear if that is due to the light meter readings or with the image processing pipeline. Try doing it with same manual exposure settings and see if it still does that.

Yea but you are using auto exposure so it’s not clear if that is due to the light meter readings or with the image processing pipeline. Try doing it with same manual exposure settings and see if it still does that.
It's true that I exclusively use auto, though that behaviour happens every time I switch into 48mp mode, and reverses when I switch out. While the video above is a dynamic lighting environment, what you see is consistent with every time I use the 48mp mode. Though it's most noticeable in images with shadows.

I sent the photos and videos to DJI to see what they say. I honestly just thought it was an accepted penalty of the 48mp mode, but it's starting to sound like maybe not everyone experiences this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman