DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am terrible at making decisions...

Mavic 2...

• Total voters

Tyson

Reactions
So I have my eyes on the new Mavic 2 but can't decide, Zoom or Pro. I've been watching YouTube videos, looking at the specs and keep bouncing back and forth, Zoom or Pro.

Zoom- I like the zoom feature for getting cool shots like dolly zoom etc. I know this can be done in editing, but, well I'm not all that bright lol.

Pro- Has the 1" sensor and adjustable aperture. It's better for sunsets, and I love sunsets! lol.

I will need to get my Phantom 4's sold first though, so I got a while to try and decide and DJI will get any bugs worked out that it may have.

I think dolly zoom is cool, but it's also the kind of effect that only works on certain subjects, and it can get old fast. I just don't think I'd want to use it that often. It's a one-trick pony, so to speak.

For me, and obviously this is personal taste, I'd prefer to go with the overall better image. ANd with the clean, 4k image I can get with the 1-inch sensor, I have plenty of pixels to crop to "zoom" in on the image if I need to get closer to something.

So for me, the higher quality sensor wins out.

If you are a photographer and know all that terminology, white balance, aperture, blah, blah, blah, and know how to use it, and the drone would just be another tool for "photography" then the Pro would be a good choice, otherwise, I don't think it matters. I've heard with the 1" sensor you can zoom in during post production....

As a hobby photographer, I'd agree that the Pro would be a better, more versatile choice. With a higher resolution image you can do a lot of image manipulation in post-production. A zoom? Well, it's nice, but it just zooms - that's it. You might want to use the zoom sometimes, but you'll always appreciate a better quality image. Just my humble opinion.

Some photographers hate zoom. The lenses are never as nice as a fixed prime lens, so they compose/zoom with their feet ie. go forward or back.

With a drone, you zoom with altitude. Up or down as needed to get the right composition. Therefore, a zoom is not required, unless you will be shooting animals, and this allows you to get closer, without moving your aircraft closer and scaring them...

Tyson, if you want to get into professional work then go with the Pro - much better camera. The dolly zoom effect can be done in post and, just wait, it will get so overused that no one will want to use it again.

Tyson, if you want to get into professional work then go with the Pro - much better camera. The dolly zoom effect can be done in post and, just wait, it will get so overused that no one will want to use it again.
Yeah I've decided to get the pro as soon as I sell my phantom 4s. They aren't cheap ya know [emoji6]

Yeah I've decided to get the pro as soon as I sell my phantom 4s. They aren't cheap ya know [emoji6]
I always tell my wife "It's OK, it's only money". Who needs that stuff LOL.

Hope you can sell your Phantom quickly, you'll love the M2P.

Reactions: Tyson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato