DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I can’t make sense of this Small Airport

BillySteph

Reactions
This is an airport that I am about 4.5 miles from. As far as DJI goes there seems to be no restrictions. Last week I took my Mavic Platinum up above my home to about 350-60’ Elevation. Next thing I know there is a small craft coming by me to the left at about 250’ elevation estimated. Here is the Airport. Moontown Airport - Wikipedia What do I need to be doing in this area? I am Northeast of MoonTown.

General procedures are to listen to ATC frequency for pilots calling out approaches, then watch and listen.
If you think about it, its the same that other pilots do, but they can talk on the radio.
This is a case where you should be able to talk on the radio IMO. To this day I am baffled that really anyone can jump onto ATC frequency and just shoot the breeze. Sure its illegal, but we don't have the ability to catch people. Even our RC systems now don't have old frequency numbers and are secure these days, but airport communication - meh, oldest technology is just fine....

Reactions: Esoarer
You are in a rural area 4.5 miles Northeast of a grass strip with an east/west orientation so you should be okay to fly. Due the the rural area small planes, experimental, and ultralights may be sharing the airspace so keep it in sight and under 400 feet (like you should be doing anyway) and be on the lookout for other traffic.

This is an airport that I am about 4.5 miles from. As far as DJI goes there seems to be no restrictions. Last week I took my Mavic Platinum up above my home to about 350-60’ Elevation. Next thing I know there is a small craft coming by me to the left at about 250’ elevation estimated. Here is the Airport. Moontown Airport - Wikipedia What do I need to be doing in this area? I am Northeast of MoonTown.
I would call the airport and get a schedule for the day so you don’t get surprised again.

The airport isn't the problem, it's that pilots are flying low in a rural area. Just keep eyes and ears out for them and stay below 400' AGL as Mossiback said. I wouldn't expect someone that far out and that low to be making a radio call.

If you’re 4.5 miles from the airport there is no reason for the planes to be that low at your place.

If you’re 4.5 miles from the airport there is no reason for the planes to be that low at your place.

There are plenty of reasons. We don’t know what kind of aircraft this is. A grass strip could be mosquito sprayers, crop dusters, or more. I’d take Mossback’s perfect sunset and add ‘call the airport.’

I have found that paying attention to sounds around you is many times a better early warning than the straight VLOS. I have found many planes in our area well below 300 feet, they love to fly low over the lake. Unfortunately they sometimes turn off the lake and do not go back up to the 500 foot minimum they are supposed to be at. Almost every time I can hear a plane long before I see it.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Aircraft should be 1000 feet above the highest obstacle at all time's except for the purpose of takeoff and landing. It doesn't take that amount of distance to land a small airplane. Or even a big one. In remote area's you can fly below the 1000 feet if there are no buildings, people, roads, etc.
Point is... if ever a problem with you at 400' or less, you would not be in the wrong.
Not to say, not something you would want to test out. Listen. Look. Fly. and duck when you think you need too!

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Aircraft should be 1000 feet above the highest obstacle at all time's except for the purpose of takeoff and landing. It doesn't take that amount of distance to land a small airplane. Or even a big one. In remote area's you can fly below the 1000 feet if there are no buildings, people, roads, etc.
Point is... if ever a problem with you at 400' or less, you would not be in the wrong.
Not to say, not something you would want to test out. Listen. Look. Fly. and duck when you think you need too!

This just isn’t true. There are plenty of low level aircraft activities. Remote areas? Nope. I’ve had mosquito sprayers flying over the trees adjacent to my old office, not a half mile from a Class C airport.

This just isn’t true. There are plenty of low level aircraft activities. Remote areas? Nope. I’ve had mosquito sprayers flying over the trees adjacent to my old office, not a half mile from a Class C airport.
Canada . I would have to copy and paste the aviation law we have here on low level flying. There are some exceptions, but all in the airspace you are flying. for instance, if I am flying a float plane, I can fly miles down open water at 50 feet and say I was setting up for a landing at some point. Over land though... not so much. You can fly low all you want, but not near any buildings etc. however.. If you say you were practicing a forced landing... then you can do almost whatever you want . Rules can always be bent to suit your needs.
If your flying your drone within the limits of the law. you are not in a control zone. go 4 lets you fly there. I think you should be ok.

• Wow
Canada . I would have to copy and paste the aviation law we have here on low level flying. There are some exceptions, but all in the airspace you are flying. for instance, if I am flying a float plane, I can fly miles down open water at 50 feet and say I was setting up for a landing at some point. Over land though... not so much. You can fly low all you want, but not near any buildings etc. however.. If you say you were practicing a forced landing... then you can do almost whatever you want . Rules can always be bent to suit your needs.
If your flying your drone within the limits of the law. you are not in a control zone. go 4 lets you fly there. I think you should be ok.

Except that under US law you still must yield to all manned air traffic in all airspace so no - you are not necessarily okay.

You’re an airline pilot, so you claim, and you’re looking for ways to bend the rules??!... Wow!

You’re an airline pilot, so you claim, and you’re looking for ways to bend the rules??!... Wow!
Lol ! No. Not bend the rules. I'm just saying, depending on the type of flying and the area, you can do pretty much whatever. Other place's, not at all.
I flew an empty 100 passenger jet 200 feet above the shrubs for 50 Nautical Miles. But, we were in the Arctic!

If I were to fly a float plane 50 feet over someone's cottage and then climb and leave you could be charged with dangerous flying. If I fly over the cottage at 50 feet, then just tap my floats in the water (touch and go) and leave, you are within your rights of the law.

So, not bending the rules. It's more appropriately called "knowing the rules" Big difference.

Last edited:
I started my flying career out of whitewater lake, up there in Sudbury. Lived in Levac for a bit. Then moved to Chapleau and Started flying a dehaviland beaver out of Five Mile Lake.

As a retired air traffic controller I can say that being 4 1/2 miles from the airport and at or below 400 ft AGL you should be fine. The field elevation is 655ft MSL which means you'd be at a max of 1055ft MSL. It has an east/west oriented runway so you may want to stay away from those directions due to aircraft descending on final approach. That is an uncontrolled airport so most aircraft would enter the pattern at 1500ft AGL, or 2155ft MSL, which is 1100ft above you. That field is under the control jurisdiction of Huntsville Approach during their operating hours (6am-midnight) and then transfers to Memphis Center when they close. You can call four different people if you'd feel better with that, in this order, the airport owner/manager, who are the same person, Anniston Flight Service Station which can get you permissions if any are necessary and issue a NOTAM if required, then Huntsville Approach followed by Memphis Center.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89