DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I can see my Mavic!!!

SmilingOgre

Reactions
Put a red Phantomrain wetsuit on my baby girl Classic and my line of sight distance increased dramatically. I'm actually amazed at how far I can fly it and still see it against the background. Fantastic! Huge boost in confidence.

Bit flash for an ogre. :)
Regards
Lol, no doubt. My wife likes to color which is nice but I was interested in getting the color I could see best in flight. I've had it 1/2 mile out at 300' agl and still could see the bird fine. Besides, Ogre's like red. Color of raw meat.

VLOS requires you to clearly see the drone attitude and heading direction (you need to clearly see the arms basically), so a little spot on the horizon doesn't count as VLOS.

So despite what people that pretend to fly legal like to think... VLOS range is around 150m (unobstructed, obviously).

For example, LEDs on Air2S or Mavic 3 can be seen at night from 2.5-3Km away, that's not VLOS.

That being said, I'm not a hypocrite, I only fly VLOS during takeoff/landing, or when flying close to obstacles; 99.99% (maybe I should add another 9 😆) of the time I just look at the screen, which is how drones are flown despite what over regulation says.

VLOS requires you to clearly see the drone attitude and heading direction (you need to clearly see the arms basically), so a little spot on the horizon doesn't count as VLOS.

So despite what people that pretend to fly legal like to think... VLOS range is around 150m (unobstructed, obviously).

For example, LEDs on Air2S or Mavic 3 can be seen at night from 2.5-3Km away, that's not VLOS.

That being said, I'm not a hypocrite, I only fly VLOS during takeoff/landing, or when flying close to obstacles; 99.99% (maybe I should add another 9 😆) of the time I just look at the screen, which is how drones are flown despite what over regulation says.
You do not have to see the arms of the drone to tell it's orientation. Even the dot moves according to you controls. Move the stick left, if it goes left it's facing away from you. moving the stick left and it goes right it's facing you, and the opposite is true for moving the stick right and it goes left. Simply turning the drone 90 degrees and the same is true, go forward or backwards and you instantly know it's orientation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom