DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I confess I´m impressed

AlexSP

Reactions
Please don´t take this as an argument for DJI because it´s not. Just a different thread to take time from the crazyness going on about the Mavic shipping, even though it´s about the Mavic LOL.

But I´m really impressed. DJI is genius. Not for their drones, although that´s the reason they´re playing this so incredibly well and it´s working beautifully. It´s not a bet, it´s a winning hand from the start. Every move. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t mean to disrespect the pissed-off pilots, I´m just doing a cold assessment of the situation from a business point of view. My opinion, in other words.

Think for a moment: what if you´re so confident in your product/service/skill to deliver something that´ll sweep people off their feet? Then it´s just a matter of time until you deliver and everyone gets happy again. The "film" might not be looking so good now, but what really stands is the PHOTO, the final act, and that looks set to be good not only for DJI but also everyone else who bought a Mavic. Competition should be worried. I would.

That "photo" has been already set up, just not taken yet. The myriad of videos and reviews posted are at the same time the bait and the assurance that the Mavic will be awesome... once it´s out. And it will. Everyone knows it, the Phantom, Inspire and Osmo are here after all. That´s why the whole community is so engaged in this debate, and to get that level of spontaneous involvement from the whole market - press, customers, sales network - is so rare it´s out of this world. It´s incredible, and the higher the expectation, the more fulfilling the reward once it comes.

They can still screw things up and go the drains. I´m not sure they´ve got that planned out beforehand. It looks played by ear, a crazy move to get a headstart on GoPro. But it´s working, even though it looks ugly and some people will be really, really pissed. Many are, and still can´t give up the Mavic which says a lot about the expectation and lust for the new drone. And from those who gave up in anger, well who wants to bet on how many will re-order again once it´s readily available? LOL

Apple must be thinking "we´ve been there" and competition must be envying DJI. I admit I would, at least it would be much worse if no one cared or wanted the Mavic, and the "problem" is just the opposite, what a sweet one for any company. Incredible indeed!

Last edited:
You're 100% correct. It's an absolutely brilliant marketing play from start to finish.

And the slam dunk....their latest "release date" update of December 1st....coincidentally juuuuuuust in time for the start of the Christmas holiday shopping rush.

It was a genius move and we all fell for it....hook, line, and sinker.

Reactions: Advexure
@AlexSP, you are exactly right in this analysis of DJI's situation. It's a tough situation but if it wasn't tough they would quickly know that they have done something wrong in their release of the Mavic. Yes, they've done wrong on the logistics behind this release but if they hadn't knocked it out of the park with their innovation we most likely wouldn't even be seeing these logistical problems. Again, a very nice analysis you have provided. Safe and happy flying.

Reactions: Techcop50
You're 100% correct. It's an absolutely brilliant marketing play from start to finish.

And the slam dunk....their latest "release date" update of December 1st....coincidentally juuuuuuust in time for the start of the Christmas holiday shopping rush.

Well... as I said it looks to me it´s already Xmas for DJI. A big one in fact :D And we didn´t simply "fell for it". We´ll get our reward at some point. Well, I believe that anyway, just not holding my breath LOL

They are treating this almost like a kickstarter project; holding our pre-paid funds for those who ordered direct (and consequently making some good interest on those funds no doubt). If they really want to garner my devotion they should throw in an osmo as a thanks for waiting gift. Less and less I'm starting to dislike this modern world of convenience. When I made the pre-order I wasn't aware they would bill me outright for the entire cost? Does anyone else do this?

Well... as I said it looks to me it´s already Xmas for DJI. A big one in fact :D And we didn´t simply "fell for it". We´ll get our reward at some point. Well, I believe that anyway, just not holding my breath LOL

Oh we definitely "fell for it". Because if DJI didn't rush their product announcement for a product that technically didn't even exist at the time (and basically still doesn't), we'd all be sitting around on the Karma forums talking about when our GoPro pre-orders are going to arrive.

We all fell for it because DJI masterfully took our attention away from the GoPro Karma by announcing the Mavic way earlier then planned, and showing all these wonderful YouTube users having fun with it. And then they kept our attention (and in some cases, money!) by playing this pre-order waiting game. Now some retailers are saying January before they'll have it. JANUARY!! For a product that was supposed to be released mid-October??!

All I can say is sort of like pulling a surprise onside kick... Great if you recover. Puts you in a big hole for your defense if you don't. Can DJI still recover and get the most out of the Mavic that they possibly could have? I suppose they can, but they can't have any mistakes now...their room for error is now reduced. If they finally start shipping them out en mass and there's no quality control issues, etc. then it will all blow over. However, if they delay this long, plus they send out a bunch of faulty units, bad firmware, exploding batteries, or the like...then there will be hades to pay.

In my opinion, the only way DJI can screw this up is if the Mavic doesn´t perform as seen on the dozens of videos. Which I find it pretty hard to happen since every single person who´s spent time with it said wonders about the new drone. There´s nothing quite like it now and that´s incredibly powerful, whether we like it or not, accept it or not.

Of course it may or may not have a hidden issue, to be found later on. But then we´re talking about drones. New technology still in its infancy and the development curve is quite steep at the time. Everything is evolving so fast it´s impossible that issues don´t occur. It´s unrealistic to expect a flawless drone as of now. Still the qualities of the Mavic are way above everything else in its category and thus its lure. And no matter what we think or say about DJI, they can deliver and IMO are more solid than most others too.

Again, and for the records: I am not defending DJI, not saying what they did was ethical, unethical, right or wrong. Each one passes own judgment on that. I´m just saying that the Mavic is so powerful as a product, so luring and desirable that at the present this “power” pretty much obfuscate other issues. In other words, most ppl will stand a lot of stress to get their new drone. The pissed off, the anxious, the vocal, the calm. Maybe not now or next week but surely at one point or another.

That may change of course, anything can happen. But right now the power is on their side and even more because there are so few available and so many of us drooling for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll