DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I did it.

I bought the M4P based on what little I know after watching a couple youtube videos. Now I am wondering if I should take it back ? I just learned that the firmware will not allow you to fly above 400 feet and there is no way to overide it.
I realize that means Distance to ground, However: I fly in a hilly area and need to be able to go over a ridge on my property that probably won't exceed 400 feet but it would put me very close to tree top. Is this something to be concerned about or does this only apply to Europe ? Or is this going to apply to all drones ? Probably should have went with the Air 3 ?

I bought the M4P based on what little I know after watching a couple youtube videos. Now I am wondering if I should take it back ? I just learned that the firmware will not allow you to fly above 400 feet and there is no way to overide it.
I realize that means Distance to ground, However: I fly in a hilly area and need to be able to go over a ridge on my property that probably won't exceed 400 feet but it would put me very close to tree top. Is this something to be concerned about or does this only apply to Europe ? Or is this going to apply to all drones ? Probably should have went with the Air 3 ?
This only applies in the EU. Since you're in the US? You won't be bound by the 400' AGL limit that doesn't start in the EU until 1/1/2024.
There is also a way to have DJI remove the limit since you bought it in 2023 - but unless you plan on taking your M4P to Europe, you'll never run into this issue.

Thank you. BTW there was one incident where I was at 400 feet above my property where I live in town. I live on the edge of a Cliff. It's 200 feet to the bottom. A small plane fly by me at about my same altitude. He must have seen me as he did a U turn, came around me and flew straight for my drone. When he got about 800 feet towards me I pulled the stick and dropped as fast as I could down to about 300 feet. He was below his 500 foot level that he's supposed to be at. When I first spotted him he was about 100 yards away and over the area below my house, which would have made him legal at 600 feet but when he flew towards me he was at 400 feet. It was a near miss only because I dropped. Since then I have had several Helicopters including military fly over my house way below the 400 foot level. I don't fly over my property anymore. And no I am not in a no fly zone.

Nice, I hope to see some photos from you on this forum soon!
Genuinely interested on how the M4P performs. I currently fly an Air 2 and maybe will upgrade to an Air 3 next year, but currently I'm flying my FPV Cinewhoop more and more.

Reactions: Cafguy
Thank you. BTW there was one incident where I was at 400 feet above my property where I live in town. I live on the edge of a Cliff. It's 200 feet to the bottom. A small plane fly by me at about my same altitude. He must have seen me as he did a U turn, came around me and flew straight for my drone. When he got about 800 feet towards me I pulled the stick and dropped as fast as I could down to about 300 feet. He was below his 500 foot level that he's supposed to be at. When I first spotted him he was about 100 yards away and over the area below my house, which would have made him legal at 600 feet but when he flew towards me he was at 400 feet. It was a near miss only because I dropped. Since then I have had several Helicopters including military fly over my house way below the 400 foot level. I don't fly over my property anymore. And no I am not in a no fly zone.
I've seen yahoo pilots dive over fields and basically fly their small planes like FPV aircraft. Very unsafe. I don't tread into their airspace, it would be nice if they stayed out of ours.
We do have crop dusters of course, but their flights are choreographed and predictable and easy to avoid.
Sounds like a busy place where you live. We're pretty much in flyover country so planes are up above 20,000'. But there are a couple of grass strips with the rare plane that I need to keep an eye and ear out for. It's nice when they have ADS-B transponders that we can see on our controllers and avoid.

He must have seen me as he did a U turn, came around me and flew straight for my drone.
A Mini4 from a Cessna doing at least 70kias? -I don't think he saw you. If he did and actually flew towards your drone intentionally- then that pilot should have his ticket pulled!
A small plane fly by me at about my same altitude.
Do you live within 5 Miles of an airport?
And no I am not in a no fly zone.
You just need to be extra vigilant when flying there. Sounds like a really bad area to be flying in!

Reactions: Torque
A Mini4 from a Cessna doing at least 70kias? -I don't think he saw you. If he did and actually flew towards your drone intentionally- then that pilot should have his ticket pulled!

Do you live within 5 Miles of an airport?
I was flying my pro 2 Zoom and as always my navigation lights were on as well as were the bottom Aux light, he definatly saw me. I am a long way from any airport. PDX is 20 miles away and the air map shows I am clear. What worries me the most is the helicopters. Why do they fly so low and you can't hear them coming. I was told they aren't restriceted at any level. Often time they are military and fly in pairs and a high rate of speed.

I was flying my pro 2 Zoom and as always my navigation lights were on as well as were the bottom Aux light, he definatly saw me. I am a long way from any airport. PDX is 20 miles away and the air map shows I am clear. What worries me the most is the helicopters. Why do they fly so low and you can't hear them coming. I was told they aren't restriceted at any level. Often time they are military and fly in pairs and a high rate of speed.
I'm surprised you can't hear a helicopter coming, they make loads of noise. As for aircraft flying low, their airspace is everywhere that it is legal to fly, including below 500ft if in wide-open land or open water, with no restricted airspace. What you must do, as a pilot, is when flying low, avoid flying right over any buildings, animals or groups of people. Your 400ft is their airspace as well, if in a wide-open area. A drone is allowed to be in that airspace, but it is not theirs alone and remember that you are on the bottom of the totem pole.

Reactions: Torque

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne