DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Found It!

Chaosrider

Reactions
A few weeks ago, we had a major rain storm come through. My roof has a leak. I discovered this when I went to get more Diet Mountain Dew, and the raindrops kept fallin' on my head...

Later, I decided to do a survey of the roof with my drone, to see if I could find the leak, and last night, I did!

There are three pipes coming out of the roof on that side of the house. In this video, you can clearly see that the center one (more than a simple pipe) had been pulled away from it's proper spot by the storm, leaving the hole open.

Who said Mini-2s were just for fun?

;-)

TCS

A few weeks ago, we had a major rain storm come through. My roof has a leak. I discovered this when I went to get more Diet Mountain Dew, and the raindrops kept fallin' on my head...

Later, I decided to do a survey of the roof with my drone, to see if I could find the leak, and last night, I did!

There are three pipes coming out of the roof on that side of the house. In this video, you can clearly see that the center one (more than a simple pipe) had been pulled away from it's proper spot by the storm, leaving the hole open.

;-)

TCS
I did a similar thing… looking for a window leak and inspect my eaves for plugged down spouts.

Every spring at the cabin for winter snow/ice damage

Ditto...I use both P3P & Mini2 (whichever is ready/handy) to check gutters, ridge caps, soffits, etc. Not necessarily weekly except during the fall (leaves, pine cones, and pine needles).

;-)

TCS
Not sure what that is, maybe a drier vent? Doesn't look like it is installed properly under shingles and sealed to stop any leak.

This is the reason I bought my air 2s. I’m a home inspector. My drone allows me to inspect roofs that I can’t walk.

By the way, I see no way that that vent was installed properly to begin with. They should be storm-proof for the most part. Shingles would go before that vent if it was correctly installed.

I decided to do a survey of the roof with my drone, to see if I could find the leak, and last night, I did!
Nicely done!

Careful with that, or you'll risk running afoul again of that digital yes/no interpretation versus analog grey zone distinctions under the FAA regs. 🧐

Even though the sub-250g Mini does not require registration, the FAA will tell you that only holds true when it's used under the exemptions for "recreational" purposes.

Some people will tell you that a strict interpretation of the rules means the moment you use your drone for any actual useful purpose that may be of benefit to anybody (paid or otherwise), other than strictly for your own personal amusement, then it no longer falls under the exemptions for "recreational" flight.

People on this forum have frequently insisted that conducting gutter or roof inspections on your own home, even if done with a sub-250g Mini, is not "recreational" and therefore requires full Part 107 compliance.

It's the same difference as a farmer's kid buzzing his drone around the farm just for fun, versus that same kid using the same drone to conduct crop inspections. One is "recreational" while the other is not. Therefor crop (gutter/roof) inspections somehow deserve to fall under a far more stringent set of FAA rules, even though it's the exact same drone flown by the exact same person within the exact same airspace when done just for fun.

Brilliant, eh?

Reactions: Nash2017
Nicely done!

Careful with that, or you'll risk running afoul again of that digital yes/no interpretation versus analog grey zone distinctions under the FAA regs. 🧐

Even though the sub-250g Mini does not require registration, the FAA will tell you that only holds true when it's used under the exemptions for "recreational" purposes.

Some people will tell you that a strict interpretation of the rules means the moment you use your drone for any actual useful purpose that may be of benefit to anybody (paid or otherwise), other than strictly for your own personal amusement, then it no longer falls under the exemptions for "recreational" flight.

People on this forum have frequently insisted that conducting gutter or roof inspections on your own home, even if done with a sub-250g Mini, is not "recreational" and therefore requires full Part 107 compliance.

It's the same difference as a farmer's kid buzzing his drone around the farm just for fun, versus that same kid using the same drone to conduct crop inspections. One is "recreational" while the other is not. Therefor crop (gutter/roof) inspections somehow deserve to fall under a far more stringent set of FAA rules, even though it's the exact same drone flown by the exact same person within the exact same airspace when done just for fun.

Brilliant, eh?
If it recreational if you are doing it for fun? I mean there are other ways to inspect but this is chosen as fun.

Last edited:
You can clean your roof with the Phantom 3 when you're bored
Is it recreational if you are doing it for fun? I mean there are other ways to inspect but this is chosen as fun.

There was a six page long thread discussing this very topic back in August.
The question was raised of doing gutter inspections with a Mavic Mini. The consensus was that needs Part 107. See:
mavicpilots.com/threads/boss-asked-me-to-record-a-video-do-i-need-a-107-license.115342/

Reactions: Zbip57
This is the reason I bought my air 2s. I’m a home inspector. My drone allows me to inspect roofs that I can’t walk.

By the way, I see no way that that vent was installed properly to begin with. They should be storm-proof for the most part. Shingles would go before that vent if it was correctly installed.
It looks like there are missing shingles that used to cover the top of that vent.

Reactions: Inspector General
Out of interest, what kind of height above the roof were you flying when you did this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S