DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I found out that Osmo Action’s HDR mode isn’t actually HDR at all

karlo_m

Reactions
Hi guys!

I found out that HDR mode on the Osmo Action is actually just a simple picture process to lift the shadows and that you actually get more from your footage if you shoot regular Cinelike D.

Here’s the test and the explanation

Mine arrives today and was torn between using D-Cinelike and HDR for a trip we are about to do. I love the extra dynamic range from D-Cinelike on my Osmo Pocket, so this news is actually a relief, plus I don't have to contend with unstabilized footage either. Thanks for the heads up. You've discovered what many reviewers have totally missed! Well done.

Mine arrives today and was torn between using D-Cinelike and HDR for a trip we are about to do. I love the extra dynamic range from D-Cinelike on my Osmo Pocket, so this news is actually a relief, plus I don't have to contend with unstabilized footage either. Thanks for the heads up. You've discovered what many reviewers have totally missed! Well done.
Thanks! Yup, many (all) reviewers who got the camera early didn’t realize this. Maybe it’s because they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them, or they don’t understand such technicalities and are only reading the specs, or whatever else. I haven’t found anywhere that this is mentioned.

And yeah, you’re better off shooting normal video mode in CinelikeD. You get to choose your exposure settings, you get stabilization and the 60fps. HDR is really here as a gimmick I think.

Thanks! Yup, many (all) reviewers who got the camera early didn’t realize this. Maybe it’s because they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them, or they don’t understand such technicalities and are only reading the specs, or whatever else. I haven’t found anywhere that this is mentioned.

And yeah, you’re better off shooting normal video mode in CinelikeD. You get to choose your exposure settings, you get stabilization and the 60fps. HDR is really here as a gimmick I think.
Well here's another issue I've just discovered. De Warp works in video and photo mode. But in photo mode only in .jpg and not .dng!!! That is so disappointing, unless there is something I'm missing. And Adobe Camera Raw doesn't have the Osmo camera profiles to fix the distortion. Blah!!!

Well here's another issue I've just discovered. De Warp works in video and photo mode. But in photo mode only in .jpg and not .dng!!! That is so disappointing, unless there is something I'm missing. And Adobe Camera Raw doesn't have the Osmo camera profiles to fix the distortion. Blah!!!
Yeah that’s expected. Very few cameras apply optics corrections to RAW files, those are usually done inside Camera Raw/Lightroom. And yeah, it’ll probably be a very long time before unwarp presets in CR come for the Osmo Action, I’m not even sure if they exist for the Mavic 2 and Osmo Pocket. DJI is in no hurry to work with Adobe, everything is coming along really slowly.

Yeah that’s expected. Very few cameras apply optics corrections to RAW files, those are usually done inside Camera Raw/Lightroom. And yeah, it’ll probably be a very long time before unwarp presets in CR come for the Osmo Action, I’m not even sure if they exist for the Mavic 2 and Osmo Pocket. DJI is in no hurry to work with Adobe, everything is coming along really slowly.
I did have a play around with manual corrections in CR and by pushing the slider totally to the right, it did correct the perspective distortion, albeit with making the frame completely concave. By cropping it out, and then comparing this with the .jpg, it gave a similar result. So it is achievable but with a bit more fiddling if straight lines affect things. I did notice however a HUGE improvement in detail, dynamic range and colour tone between the processed RAW image compared to the .jpg. Just wish now there was some way (like in the Mavic 2 series) to just select RAW instead of RAW/JPG.

Hi guys!

I found out that HDR mode on the Osmo Action is actually just a simple picture process to lift the shadows and that you actually get more from your footage if you shoot regular Cinelike D.

Here’s the test and the explanation

Im really bumping more than anything. This info needs to be stick-eed or incorporated into an easily accessible place.

great info contained within this thread!!!!

Thank you for this discovery!

How do most companies create the “HDR” video mode? Is it usually done like this (just an automatic process of raising the shadows and lowering light areas from the same flat image/frame) or are there competitors who make real hdr (eg. by recording let’s say 75 fps in “triplets” with -1, 0, +1 EV stops, creating a hdr image and putting this hdr image into a final 25 fps finished recording)?

I don’t know if that is even possible, or how it’s actually done, that’s just how I see real video hdr be done...

I think I've read that some sensors have "native HDR" like the one (Sony ?) used in the Parrot Anafi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54