DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I found the Middle of Nowhere...

Reactions
Just a quick clip from my recent off-road adventures outside Las Vegas. I was about 15 miles or so from the nearest anything. Very cool, very beautiful desert and complete peace and quiet (except for the drone, of course...). Don't worry, I have good, hardcore overlanding gear in the truck---including boots...

Just a quick clip from my recent off-road adventures outside Las Vegas. I was about 15 miles or so from the nearest anything. Very cool, very beautiful desert and complete peace and quiet (except for the drone, of course...). Don't worry, I have good, hardcore overlanding gear in the truck---including boots...

A nice place for relaxed flying and collecting flight experience :)

A nice place for relaxed flying and collecting flight experience :)
For sure--nobody to complain out there and very few things to hit! What was funny is when I started the drone and it connected to the controller, it needed calibration since I drove out from SoCal, and once I did that, I got a notice that I was in a NFZ and could not take off. I was looking around me at emptiness, thinking, "You gotta be sh**#ing me...!" Then after a minute or so, the app caught up to where I really was and it all cleared and gave me the Good to Go message. I was about to be really upset, thinking I must have driven out into some government testing area I didn't know about...

Reactions: mnis
For sure--nobody to complain out there and very few things to hit! What was funny is when I started the drone and it connected to the controller, it needed calibration since I drove out from SoCal, and once I did that, I got a notice that I was in a NFZ and could not take off. I was looking around me at emptiness, thinking, "You gotta be sh**#ing me...!" Then after a minute or so, the app caught up to where I really was and it all cleared and gave me the Good to Go message. I was about to be really upset, thinking I must have driven out into some government testing area I didn't know about...
Oh, in some places, I also got it first as a status message, like "calibration required". I turned everything OFF, and after rebooting the status was OK :)

I personally feel if a recalibrate message come up, you are best to recalibrate. I have read of too many flyaways where the compass is not correct, and it only takes a minute to recalibrate. It is probably faster than shutting everything down to start is all back up again.

I personally feel if a recalibrate message come up, you are best to recalibrate. I have read of too many flyaways where the compass is not correct, and it only takes a minute to recalibrate. It is probably faster than shutting everything down to start is all back up again.
I am already unsure about this calibration story. Restarting the Mavic and the remote also takes less than a minute. I do not know if it's always the right way to calibrate immediately.

In my case, I think there were temporary problems during startup. And if the problem had persisted, then there would have been another warning ... in full expectation :)

There are just as many opposite opinions that I read here regarding this calibration matter, which causes uncertainty in dealing with it.

I calibrate the gimbal now and then, but nothing else. There was no further indication of the need for calibration during all flights... [emoji848]

That was a great reveal! Nice job.

I do recalibrate when I travel long distances between flight. Besides, if someone is watching you set up to fly, it adds a whole lot of fun to the process and the resulting confusion on their faces...the spinning around twice holding your drone two different ways makes it really look like witchcraft!

• Haha
Reactions: flyfla and mnis
Fun pics ! Looks similar to where we are going around the Marieta wild burrow reserve near Mina nevada.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini