DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I guess I've been spoiled...

edfrombama

Reactions
Good evening to all- So after I got my deck rebuilt and the garden work done and so on, I decided to fly a drone. I now have a nice landing surface on the deck, don't you see.
I have been flying my Mini 2 lately and loving every minute of it. But like a lot of folks, I started out with another brand of drones- cheaper, don't you know, but not by much, really. Anyway, I decided I needed to fly these "other" drones to keep the batteries up and stay in touch with their operating system.
Well, I am here to say that compared to my Mini 2, these drones which used to bring me a lot of pleasure just don't stand up well. These "other" drones were lagging when I'd give a command, and the drones' movements were very jerky and hard to control. Even though these drones are bigger and powerful, they did not handle the regular afternoon breeze nearly as well as the Mini 2.
So I reckon I've been "ruined" for drones that are not my Mini 2.
There really is a difference in drones- they aren't all the same at all.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

I started with a Cheap Chinese drone myself. It was crap from the beginning, and fortunately for me also defective. After wrestling with Banggood for a month to get a replacement or refund (with nothing but a rope-a-dope on their part) my bank stepped in and credited my account for the cost of the defective drone. I used the money to step up to a Mini 1. It was obvious from the first moment that it was in a different league entirely. A month later I went deeper in and got a Mavic 2 Pro, but when the Mini 2 came out I sold the Mini 1 and upgraded. Even with a M2P in my possession I still like flying the Mini 2 a lot. I am patiently waiting for DJI to release the SDK for the iOS interface so Litchi will be available for my Mini 2 as it is for the Mavic 2.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Nice to hear from you again, Ed.
I have and will always swear by my Mini 2. I still have my original Mini and a few Mini 2s. I will probably be one of the 1st to purchase a Mini 3 when they come out, but I will never mothball or sell my Mini Tank. By far the most used and versatile drones I own. And, yes, very easy to become spoiled with.

I think it's good to learn on a toy drone. Then when you get the real deal, you're better to handle flight emergencies.

I have pulled my "other" GPS drones for a spin for the same reason and had the same experience. They are difficult to control, they are twitchy on the controls, a nuisance to calibrate the compass every time, etc. It's just not worth it.

I do enjoy flying my cheap non-GPS "other" drones. I fly them around my yard line-of-sight and don't bother with the phone apps or camera. Practicing on them has improved my flying skills quite a bit.

I have pulled my "other" GPS drones for a spin for the same reason and had the same experience. They are difficult to control, they are twitchy on the controls, a nuisance to calibrate the compass every time, etc. It's just not worth it.

I do enjoy flying my cheap non-GPS "other" drones. I fly them around my yard line-of-sight and don't bother with the phone apps or camera. Practicing on them has improved my flying skills quite a bit.
During extended periods of bad weather, like now, I'll frequently fly a little H823H around the house. I use it mostly to stay current on "reverse" flying, with the nose pointed toward me.

It's a delightful little drone, with good altitude hold, and trim that works so well that you can actually make it hover. It's both harmless and indestructible.

It has zero wind resistance, and I do mean zero. When I'm flying it in the house, I have to turn the heater off, because if the fan comes on, even that little airflow tosses it around.

For 30 bucks...such a deal! I've given away a bunch of them as gifts.

:)

TCS

Reactions: maggior
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom