DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need constructive feedback. But, let's make it fun! - please roast my video. Be cruel.

As someone who flies over the ocean 9/10 flights, I thought you had some really nice footage there. Just break it up into separate videos of the one flight. Dump the transitions, or change them at the very least to something smoother to link scenes within the same video. Soundtrack was perfect. 👍🏻 Try to keep videos to 2.5-3 minutes max. Despite what we think, YouTube analytics proves most viewers don’t last much longer than 2 minutes. Unless you’re Niklas Christl or similar 😂
Tysm. Really helpful tips < 3 Ocean flying is soo fun

Nice clips. Maybe let them run to 7-8 seconds. Five seconds work for stills, but one is just getting into the scene when it changes.
rightright - something I'll keep in mind for my next video. Tysm for your comment - It's all super helpful for me < 3

Just my personal opinion, but I don’t usually like seeing the operator/pilot in shots unless it is congruent to the story. Having the person operating the drone in the scene removes the illusion that I’m “in” or part of the story. If that makes sense. Again, just a quirk I have. But otherwise, it’s a great clip.

I would suggest a few minor colour corrections to highlight the dominant colours of the scene and make it feel more visceral. You got a really nice lighting so that should be easy to do with a few small tweaks :)

Also, be cautious of posting any shots of Canada on Youtube that are technically illegal. You're not allowed to fly near railways or in national parks and there are hefty fines. Canadian police have been known to trawl youtube on slow days to find people and fine them.

Very nice selection of clips with great music. I liked the cuts timed to music too. Rest has been mentioned by others.

I thought these clips were great. I really liked the synchronization with the music where you changed the scene at each inflection point. Agree that you need a bit more saturation, but I am looking forward to your next video.

As someone who flies over the ocean 9/10 flights, I thought you had some really nice footage there. Just break it up into separate videos of the one flight. Dump the transitions, or change them at the very least to something smoother to link scenes within the same video. Soundtrack was perfect. 👍🏻 Try to keep videos to 2.5-3 minutes max. Despite what we think, YouTube analytics proves most viewers don’t last much longer than 2 minutes. Unless you’re Niklas Christl or similar 😂
Good advice here. It is easy to become fascinated with video effects, but they usually detract from your story. Minimize the effects and concentrate on telling your story.

Some very nice sequences there and the music usually matched the mood . . there was no single theme . . although the re were several rather short theme groups . . if you want to show a broad range that's fine but if you want to make a statement stick to one theme . . the CUTS are too abrupt. They kind of JOLT you from scene to scene . . try a cross fade once in a while . . or at least within one sequence. Matching mood to lighting was good in places. The maneuvers were very nice and smooth as you did even a slow assent or decent is all you need. Good camera work there.

All in all a good piece of work. If you have time or inclination I'd appreciate some feedback on any of the videos you see on this page. www.inskyphoto.comThanks I'll try and check out some more of your stuff <cookedinlh>

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
First of all, let me echo other comments in appreciating some great shooting in this video. It did come across as a series of rather jumbled clips however.

The point about the need to create a narrative is well made and is really how you can improve the finished result. In any location or set-up, capture all the available shots, camera moves and angles you can.

Structure these elements to tell a story of the scene you captured. The length and positioning of each clip is important, just like the words used to make a sentence and sentences and paragraphs used to write a chapter in a book.

E.g. the opening shot, looking down at the breaking waves, we perceive a surfer, you could have assembled a series of different shots to tell the story of the determined board rider braving the elements to catch the perfect wave under those brooding skies. What shots would you need to create this narrative?

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Definitely right about the saturation in some of the clips - I'll try to dial it in next time.

Ahhh yes, "the story" - the most difficult, but also the most exciting!

Thank you for your comment : )

I have no problem with saturation per se. What was a little jarring was that I loved the dark theme you had in the beginning, but then it cuts to a really colorful sunny day.

Your skill in filming individual clips in isolation is very good.

Some of these beautiful clips went by too quickly. I did see at least two transitions, using a black screen, that were too long.

So much goodness going on with these clips , however you could make a lot better use of the order of the video clips.

Maybe start with darker clips from the fog into the ocean , and pull us in close through out the Video as we get closer to land. So many Powerful transitions could have been made rather than the black space which did not feed the video thru.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Yes, I do agree to begin from the fog into the ocean, then to get the story, I would suggest to use those shoots showing by means of transportation, like the trains, then the boats, then the beautiful natural environment, in a way that you tell us that are multiple ways to arrive to such a beautiful place.

You're well on your way with these clips. Good instincts for shots, great overall look, and solid framing. My advice? Keep shooting! You've already got skills beyond what I could advise you on, and you've got a good eye for what works. As I've learned, the more I shoot, the less likely I'll end up with long videos that I don't use. Every flight is now intentional and has something to be learned, and this footage shows you are learning. Way to go!

Nice shots. The B&W waves looked great. As mentioned above try some other transition than straight cuts. I like a 1.5 second cross dissolve to smooth things out. I think the music does not call for short cuts on the beat. That technique works great for rock videos.

A few constructive thoughts. First, there are a lot of nice shots. The intro is a bit dark, but I know what you were going for. I don't think the quick cuts really work for drone shots most of the time. I think the viewer needs time to digest each new scene. The only other comments that I have are some other the shots are a bit dark. Some basic color correction would help. You are on the right track ght track, keep up the good work!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3