DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Never Press RTH

I quite often fly from a turf farm and the grass is often wet and not always real short. I use a landing pad to keep the camera and sensors clean and dry. Use the RTH frequently because it will always land exactly on the landing pad where I took off from. Makes it easy when it is windy to get a spot on landing.

Reactions: Slantnose79
I like RTH. it works like a charm. It's great if you get interrupted or lose bearing/sight of your aircraft. I think it's a great feature when used correctly (set an appropriate RTH height to avoid local obstacles).

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: FLwaverunner
I have only used it once to see its function. Other than that unless I need it because of signal loss or something I dont need the point. I rather fly it home and what not. Maybe I will start using it more.

6a262a30090ecd765544f58ac1763df5.jpg

So, 62 flights (no crashes) and I only pressed the RTH once. And, cancelled it a few seconds later after the AC turned and pointed towards home. I don't know if this is normal behavior, but I'm baffled by how many posts I've read describing pilots seemingly pressing RTH every flight?

Am I just a control freak? Can't seem to 'let go'??

I like flying the AC in for a landing (every time). What are others thoughts on this?

So I have to ask what app is that to track info?

I use RTH for fun to show off the amazing tech of the drone to friends, press RTH and put the controller down next to me - if you follow the take of 'rules' and have a distinct floor it's amazingly accurate and really cool.

I've used it once in anger when my phone battery died and the drone was out of sight (yes I know that's wrong and I'm a public menace etc).

Not sure id have the balls to turn my controller though!!

OP seems to think useing rth is for amateurs
Not needed by really good pilots such as himself,
I fly my mav for fun, so use rth often.

I'm not sure that's the case. It's just a choice isn't it? Both are completely valid, just depends on what floats your boat.

Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. Just depends on my mood at the time. I must say that it has always performed flawlessly.

I like that the RTH function exists and make sure home point is set on every flight. I view it as an important feature in case of loss of signal. I set it for the environment I am flying, or set the drone to "Hover" if that is the more appropriate action in case of loss of signal. All that said, yeah... I never use it, I'm just glad it's there as a safety net.

Just remember to takeoff straight up for 30 or 40 feet so the downward facing cameras can get some good shots of the takeoff point. You can yaw all the circles you want, but just go straight up. If the cameras doesn't get photos then the landing might be 5-8 feet from the takeoff spot (just GPS location) and it is the precision landing that makes it fun to watch.

I found that using the "auto take-off" will allow adequate photo for RTH precision. If you're going the auto pilot way.

OP seems to think useing rth is for amateurs
Not needed by really good pilots such as himself,
I fly my mav for fun, so use rth often.

Not the case. I guess I just didn't trust it enough. After reading all these 'RTH Users' posts, I'm willing to give it a shot soon... maybe in a couple weeks ;)

I don't use it solely because it's too **** loud. If it was quieter I would use it all the time.

I'm new to this community, and new to drones. In fact I haven't received my first one yet. That being said, why wouldn't you want to use the RTH feature? You just paid out between 999.00 to 1299.00 dollars on a piece of technology that, from everything I read, has amazing features. I'm not ashamed to say I will probably use RTH a lot. Of course this brings up a question, I believe the OP said that DJI doesn't recommend using it? Why would they put it in as a feature if they didn't want you using it? like I said, I'm new and don't even have one yet so be gentle with me.

I'm new to this community, and new to drones. In fact I haven't received my first one yet. That being said, why wouldn't you want to use the RTH feature? You just paid out between 999.00 to 1299.00 dollars on a piece of technology that, from everything I read, has amazing features. I'm not ashamed to say I will probably use RTH a lot. Of course this brings up a question, I believe the OP said that DJI doesn't recommend using it? Why would they put it in as a feature if they didn't want you using it? like I said, I'm new and don't even have one yet so be gentle with me.

It's not that there is anything wrong with it. It's that it has limits. Set your RTH altitude too low and you risk the craft running into something on it's return (OA is not perfect), and if you're just chilling out waiting for it to show up chances are it's going to hit whatever it was flying towards before you can react, or having OA get a false positive due to the Mavics sensitivity to sun and bright reflections and have it start heading for the stratosphere till the battery level runs low and it just lands itself wherever it happens to be rather than coming back. (yes, OA appears to override altitude limits).

On the other hand if you're monitoring RTH closely to avoid these issues I find it more engaging to just fly the craft back.

It's really important to consider anything the craft is going to do "automatically" on your behalf, including landing! Set RTH for 60 meters to clear trees and if you happen to be flying with obstructions overhead (trees, bridges, power lines, etc) at the moment it gets triggered you will have to react fast to avoid a crash induced by it. Some folks like to use it a lot, others not as much. There is no right or wrong to that decision, just right or wrong to how it is set, and you can't just set it and forget it. Each flight should include checking how it is set before depending on it to not cause you grief if/when activated.

Last edited:
If you want to RTH but "manually", try switching to "Home Lock" in your flight options during flight. Then pressing down on the right toggle will fly the bird back in a straight line towards you and all controls will behave relative to that. It's like keeping control on return without losing the feeling that you're flying it.

I appreciate your instruction. I will be flying line of site. Always keeping my eyes on the drone even when atomously flying. I guess I just wasn't sure why someone would be so against using the RTH function as much as it sounded like some where.

I look forward to learning more from experience pilots

Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app

It's not that there is anything wrong with it. It's that it has limits. Set your RTH altitude too low and you risk the craft running into something on it's return (OA is not perfect), and if you're just chilling out waiting for it to show up chances are it's going to hit whatever it was flying towards before you can react, or having OA get a false positive due to the Mavics sensitivity to sun and bright reflections and have it start heading for the stratosphere till the battery level runs low and it just lands itself wherever it happens to be rather than coming back. (yes, OA appears to override altitude limits).

On the other hand if you're monitoring RTH closely to avoid these issues I find it more engaging to just fly the craft back.

It's really important to consider anything the craft is going to do "automatically" on your behalf, including landing! Set RTH for 60 meters to clear trees and if you happen to be flying with obstructions overhead (trees, bridges, power lines, etc) at the moment it gets triggered you will have to react fast to avoid a crash induced by it. Some folks like to use it a lot, others not as much. There is no right or wrong to that decision, just right or wrong to how it is set, and you can't just set it and forget it. Each flight should include checking how it is set before depending on it to not cause you grief if/when activated.
Some people like to grind their own beans... and some like to go to Starbucks, just a choice.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925