DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Passed the Part 107 Test

Regarding the topics on the Part 107 written exam, you are correct. There is essentially nothing about actually flying a drone there. The FAA doesn't know what type of drone you are going to fly. They don't know if it's a fixed wing or a multirotor. And they don't care how well you can fly it, either. If you crash your quadcopter into the trees, they don't care. All they want to know is that you have studied enough to keep out of trouble and avoid harm to others. That's why the focus on sectional charts, the national airspace system, regulations, and the fundamentals of weather.

Regarding the topics on the Part 107 written exam, you are correct. There is essentially nothing about actually flying a drone there. The FAA doesn't know what type of drone you are going to fly. They don't know if it's a fixed wing or a multirotor. And they don't care how well you can fly it, either. If you crash your quadcopter into the trees, they don't care. All they want to know is that you have studied enough to keep out of trouble and avoid harm to others. That's why the focus on sectional charts, the national airspace system, regulations, and the fundamentals of weather.
Well arguably that's a LOT of the problem. I relate this to the driver's license system we have here. You get a different level of commercial drivers license based on the type of commercial driving you're going to do. For example I'm the lowest level of commercial driver, and i could be a commercial delivery driver for a regular car, but I'm certainly not qualified or licensed to drive big trucks. I'm not sure why they can't do the same thing. Seems like it wouldn't be THAT difficult to come up with a program for a quad, and another one for a fixed wing aircraft. Obviously a lot of the information overlaps and we all need to know the overlapping information (National Airspace System for example) but it could be more specific to the type of drone a person wants to fly. If fact, I'd go as far as to say they should eliminate the recreational flyer exception with the caveat that they test based on what you're flying.

You know I've kind of wondered about those tests with online schools myself. That is, are they trying to "scare you" into taking their courses. As I've said before, I'm the very definition of a recreational flyer no more than I fly and what limited area i fly in. But I thought, "Why not?" and then I started taking the sample tests just to see where I stood. The actual drone stuff I passed every single question. But all the other stuff I was lost on. And it's stuff I'll NEVER use. I may still study and get my 107 someday just to have it. But I sure wish they'd focus on what we actually use as operators of consumer photography drones.
I want to take Real Estate photos so I have to pass this test. I was all ready to sign up for the test until I bombed on the King test and one other that listed the 10 hardest questions. I'm getting 90% or better on the Altitude University sample tests. I don't know what to make of my current knowledge. Plus I am readying where they are including questions on ADS-B which is the Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast which isn't covered in any study guides. Dunno......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada