DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I passed the Part 107 this morning

I have a friend in the commercial real estate business and wanted to be able to take some photos and videos for him, so after getting my Mavic Mini last week and finding out what the rules are, I started looking at Part 107 videos Sunday night. The one that really convinced me quickly that I could probably pass the test without taking one of the many paid courses around was Tony Northrup's free study guide, which is 1:43 in length found here:
. It's pretty detailed, but presented in a very casual manner and includes a lot of advice on how to approach the questions. I watched it all the way through and then spent the next couple of days reviewing a few others briefly and looking at videos and websites of practice questions. The practice question site I found the most helpful was here: Free Part 107 Drone Pilot
I just kept taking 10-question tests repeatedly until I felt comfortable with most of the questions. On Monday, I scheduled my test for Wednesday morning. I'm happy to say that I made a 90 with maybe 4-5 hours of effort. I'm a pretty fast tester (I don't sit and agonize over questions I know that I don't know, I just pick an answer and move on). It took 45 minutes to complete the 60 questions. I missed five. Many were dead simple, a few tried to be tricky and a few I just didn't know. Tony's video is EXTREMELY helpful, and I probably could have passed just by watching it several times, but it really helps to use the practice test site because the questions that require referencing the supplemental book that you can use on the test have links to specific pages like sectional maps and weather reports. There were several weather report questions, but once you know basically how to read one, they are fairly simple. If you can decode the reports and have pretty good knowledge of the sectional maps, common sense on the others will probably get you through. It's really not all that hard.
Awesome! Congratulations and thank for sharing the info.

Reactions: Kyle76
I have a friend in the commercial real estate business and wanted to be able to take some photos and videos for him, so after getting my Mavic Mini last week and finding out what the rules are, I started looking at Part 107 videos Sunday night. The one that really convinced me quickly that I could probably pass the test without taking one of the many paid courses around was Tony Northrup's free study guide, which is 1:43 in length found here:
. It's pretty detailed, but presented in a very casual manner and includes a lot of advice on how to approach the questions. I watched it all the way through and then spent the next couple of days reviewing a few others briefly and looking at videos and websites of practice questions. The practice question site I found the most helpful was here: Free Part 107 Drone Pilot
I just kept taking 10-question tests repeatedly until I felt comfortable with most of the questions. On Monday, I scheduled my test for Wednesday morning. I'm happy to say that I made a 90 with maybe 4-5 hours of effort. I'm a pretty fast tester (I don't sit and agonize over questions I know that I don't know, I just pick an answer and move on). It took 45 minutes to complete the 60 questions. I missed five. Many were dead simple, a few tried to be tricky and a few I just didn't know. Tony's video is EXTREMELY helpful, and I probably could have passed just by watching it several times, but it really helps to use the practice test site because the questions that require referencing the supplemental book that you can use on the test have links to specific pages like sectional maps and weather reports. There were several weather report questions, but once you know basically how to read one, they are fairly simple. If you can decode the reports and have pretty good knowledge of the sectional maps, common sense on the others will probably get you through. It's really not all that hard.
Let me get this right, you watched the 1 minute and 48 second video that you posted above and took a boat load of 10 sample question quizzes for a couple of days then went and passed the Part 107 test?
The video tells you nothing other than promoting the course they are trying to sell you, is the test that easy? Not trying to be a jerk just wondering how this little video was helpful

Let me get this right, you watched the 1 minute and 48 second video that you posted above and took a boat load of 10 sample question quizzes for a couple of days then went and passed the Part 107 test?
The video tells you nothing other than promoting the course they are trying to sell you, is the test that easy? Not trying to be a jerk just wondering how this little video was helpful
No, the video I watched is here:
Not sure how that ad replaced my original link.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I'm not a big fan of Tony after he stepped on his wanker big-time insulting one of the greatest photographers ever...(and other reasons although Chelsea is nice to look at and photographs well)

It is a great summary video. I self-studied for the test, as I learn better that way, and I watched Tony's video on the day of my test before I left the house. It was a great summary "reinforcement" on the material and helped put my mind on the topic.

I'd suggest digging much deeper into each of the topics and points he makes so that you learn the "why" of it and fully understand the concepts presented. (I'm not saying you don't Kyle) It's along the lines of the old saying: "Before learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade." Tony's video is a great outline and quick summary of the important points the test will cover, and you could use them as a pointer of what to look deeper into.

Congrats. But, personally, I don't want to cram study just to pass the test. I actually want to understand what I'm learning in a more detailed manner so that I fully understand the reasons. I'm not a "cram for the exam" kind of guy. I've been using the Pilot Institute course (not free, but worth the money). Greg is a great instructor and makes sure you really understand the nuances of aviation and air traffic, charts, etc, not just how to pass the exam. But, hey, a week from buying a drone to license is impressive. Best of luck with your endeavor...it's sort of where I'm heading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS