DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I R TRUSTed!

OK, I just read this, and it confirms my view of the situation.

Please refer to section 107.31.b

It says that the VLOS requirement must be excercised for the entire flight by *EITHER* the remote PIC *OR* the Visual Observer.

Right?

So my hypothetical kid with awesome eysight can meet this requirement, while I fly the little beast just by reference to the data on the screen. Drone IFR!

Right?

Please let me know if there's something there that you're looking at, that I'm not seeing.

Thx!

TCS
You visual observer can look at the drone while you look at the screen, right.

But if your vision isn't adequate to see the drone, you're not legal, even if your kid with good eyesight can see it.

Read 107.31 carefully. Part (a) explains who must "be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight". The answer to that question is everyone; the pilot in command, the visual observer, and the person manipulating the controls. Part (a) uses "and".

Part (b) explains who must exercise that ability described in part (a), and exercise it throughout the duration of the flight. In other words, it says who has to actually keep their eyeballs pointed at the drone, rather than just have the theoretical ability to see it. And only one of you needs to do that. Part (b) uses "or".

So if you've got a visual observer watching the drone, you can have your head down on the screen. But if the visual observer shouts, "Hey, look, you're about to crash!", you've got to have the ability to actually look up at the drone and figure out what the problem is.

If your eyes aren't good enough to see the drone, you're in violation of part (a), even though your operation may be in compliance with part (b).

I just downloaded it onto my computer and printed it onto business card stock quality paper...and I am telling you...if I figured it out....any one can do it Thumbswayup.....then I emailed it to myself as an attachment and opened it on my phone...then I saved it to the photos on my phone...I know that I did hear somewhere that digital is acceptable...

Reactions: MA2 317
Shocking who they TRUST. Even ME! (I'm a part 107 pilot)

But if your vision isn't adequate to see the drone, you're not legal, even if your kid with good eyesight can see it.

Read 107.31 carefully. Part (a) explains who must "be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight". The answer to that question is everyone; the pilot in command, the visual observer, and the person manipulating the controls. Part (a) uses "and".

Part (b) explains who must exercise that ability described in part (a), and exercise it throughout the duration of the flight. In other words, it says who has to actually keep their eyeballs pointed at the drone, rather than just have the theoretical ability to see it. And only one of you needs to do that. Part (b) uses "or".

So if you've got a visual observer watching the drone, you can have your head down on the screen. But if the visual observer shouts, "Hey, look, you're about to crash!", you've got to have the ability to actually look up at the drone and figure out what the problem is.

If your eyes aren't good enough to see the drone, you're in violation of part (a), even though your operation may be in compliance with part (b).
I'm not certain that your interpretation is correct.

I'll go back and read it again...but probably not today!

:)

TCS

On reflection, I suspect you are correct. My eyesight is actually pretty good, so it's not a practical issue. I'll still want to find my mythical kid to watch it, so that I don't have to.

BVLOS just isn't a near term issue for me. Now that my Mini-2 has a flashing butt that I can see for at least 1000 ft, there are a bazillion cool places I can go within my little canyon, and stay within the 400 ft AGL rule as well.

There's not a single structure between me and the other wall of the canyon, and not a single structure on the other wall of the canyon.

I live in Drone Pilot Heaven!

:)

TCS

Mine from the pilot institute came out wallet sized. My buddy used model aircraft.org IIRC and his was a full sized paper. I just helped a club member take the AMA TRUST test and he took a picture of my PC screen and stored on his phone. I also did a snip then emailed it to his friend who has a printer. Seemed to go good.

When you boil it all down, the buck stops with the PiC.

OK, I just read this, and it confirms my view of the situation.

Please refer to section 107.31.b

It says that the VLOS requirement must be excercised for the entire flight by *EITHER* the remote PIC *OR* the Visual Observer.

Right?

So my hypothetical kid with awesome eysight can meet this requirement, while I fly the little beast just by reference to the data on the screen. Drone IFR!

Right?

Please let me know if there's something there that you're looking at, that I'm not seeing.

Thx!

TCS

The rules in Part 107 aren't the rules that govern flying under the recreational exception. Unless you have a Part 107 remote pilot certificate, they aren't relevant to you.

The rules in Part 107 aren't the rules that govern flying under the recreational exception. Unless you have a Part 107 remote pilot certificate, they aren't relevant to you.
I have a Part 107 Certificate.

TCS

What happened when you tried to print the certificate?
I opened it in Photoshop as two jpgs. Copied both to a new, wider layer, then printed them out. Once you fold it, it's two sided.

We just updated the PDF version that generates on computers to have a margin. We also put the back and the front side-by-side so they could be folded and laminated.

Heck, It's probably worth taking the test again for the ease of the fold.

I printed two pages ( front / back ) , cut them out, taped, and then laminated them together. :rolleyes:

Thanks pilotinstitute.

hehe I love all the cautions not to loose the certificate because it cannot be replaced. Just take the silly test again!

There is a work around to this!!!

Just do a screen grab of the certificate
On your desk top, right click on the icon of this screen grab
Open the file in Photoshop
Now you can make it any size you want- here it is with my hand for perspective size

I have made two copies- one for my drone case, and one for my wallet (front and back taped together).
View attachment 131181
Great idea! Simple and effective

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys