DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think my Mavic malfunctioned! Help please!

Bransen111

Reactions
Hey everyone, I’m new here, anyways I just got a mavic pro and I flew it for the first time yesterday in beginner mode to assure that I would be okay, anyways about a minute into my flight I completely lose gps signal and my drone drifts right into my dads bumper completely destroying my drones 4 wings and chipping part of the body. Is this something that’ll be covered as a software malfunction or will it come out of my pocket even though I didn’t do anything wrong (in my mind). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hey everyone, I’m new here, anyways I just got a mavic pro and I flew it for the first time yesterday in beginner mode to assure that I would be okay, anyways about a minute into my flight I completely lose gps signal and my drone drifts right into my dads bumper completely destroying my drones 4 wings and chipping part of the body. Is this something that’ll be covered as a software malfunction or will it come out of my pocket even though I didn’t do anything wrong (in my mind). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
It's easy for me to say and not a dig but you should really fly in an wide open space when learning.

A couple of things could have caused this, 2 being losing GPS or more likely a compass error causing a switch into attitude mode.

You would need to post up logs and some of the more knowledgeable members could take a look.

Someone will hopefully post instructions.

Out of curiosity, was it windy? And were you flying in proximity to or taking off from anything metallic?

Reactions: Kilrah and bergro5
It's easy for me to say and not a dig but you should really fly in an wide open space when learning.

A couple of things could have caused this, 2 being losing GPS or more likely a compass error causing a switch into attitude mode.

You would need to post up logs and some of the more knowledgeable members could take a look.

Someone will hopefully post instructions.

Out of curiosity, was it windy? And were you flying in proximity to or taking off from anything metallic?

Hey trust me I learned my lesson for sure! I just figured I was safe in beginner mode and it wasn’t my first time flying a Mavic. It was not windy at all but I did take off from concrete with rebar under it and it did crash into a car which was about ten feet from the Mavic when it lost all satellites and crashed.

Also I will post the logs as soon as I can get to some WiFi to connect my laptop

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Hey trust me I learned my lesson for sure! I just figured I was safe in beginner mode and it wasn’t my first time flying a Mavic. It was not windy at all but I did take off from concrete with rebar under it and it did crash into a car which was about ten feet from the Mavic when it lost all satellites and crashed.

Also I will post the logs as soon as I can get to some WiFi to connect my laptop
All satellites to zero can be Mavics way of switching to atti mode in the event of a compass error.

Best not to jump to any conclusions untill someone reviews the logs.

Fingers crossed for you that it's a warranty job.

Beginners luck. Warranty will not cover that. Losing GPS is not a defect. It is your flying environment. Lesson learned. Pay to have it fixed and take it to a field for your next flight. Also, Fly it above any obstacles. Not close to the ground.

Reactions: Kilrah
I always advise you use precision take off as this will ensure you have good GPS lock, home point set and record an image of your take off location.

Did you launch under cover ? Or did you fly the mavic under cover after take off ??

As said above this sounds like the mavic switching to ATTI mode but we would really need to see the flight logs to understand better what happened and give a more informed response.

All satellites to zero can be Mavics way of switching to atti mode in the event of a compass error.

This is something I have observed too. It was due to launching in proximity to hidden ferrous material (although there was no compass warning prior to leaving the material's influence). Approximately three meters up; GPS lost and instant magnetic interference warning (in open air). Proceeded to drift rapidly.

Use the sensor readout page in your app to try and preempt any such errors.

Reactions: Callum
99.99% that its pilot error.
but fingers crossed for you that it's a warranty job for you.
Post the logs. A quick search for instructions.
Good luck.

Also, if you flew into a vehicle bumper, you must have been pretty close to the ground, which effects the bottom sensors and cause the Mavic to become a little more "bouncy" trying to get a good ground to bird reading to stabilize itself. If you were facing the vehicle, the front sensors should have stopped you. Hope you bought Care Refresh with your bird.

Very low altitude, rebar, big chunks of metal in a car.
Sounds like operator error than drone error to be honest. So many warning flags there.

Reactions: Kilrah
We should really hold off on judgment until all facts (logs) are posted.

DJI have been known to come good on similar cases with compass errors.

So many variables, it's not fair to simply blame the pilot. For one it might not be their fault and posts assuming it is put them off trying a warranty claim.

Yes there are red flags but there may also be an underlying issue.

OP, make sure to post up the logs, worst case it will give you the knowledge of what to avoid next time.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilldale Harry