DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

i want to record building gazebo

Randy the locator

Reactions
Hello
I am looking for some advice, I just recently revived my air 2 and actually haven't even flown it yet, but i do know a little bit about flying as I did have a pro and a mini that I sold for the air 2 so I am not a complete virgin. Anyway I want to launch my air 2 and record me building a gazebo then when all complete speed up the footage to post and view. What would be the preferred settings to do this ?
Just record it and edit and speed up in post ?
What video settings would be best for this ?
Is this a hyper lapse candidate ?

Thanks in advance
Randy

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Will it take you longer to build the gazebo than one battery?

If it's making a permanent structure that is going to take time I guess what you can do is to create a waypoint and put the drone up and take pictures at regular intervals to make into a timelapse sequence using one of the programs suited to this.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Another approach might be to launch from the same spot, fly straight up to a pre-determined altitude, then alight a corner of the picture with an object that will result in the picture aligned with the gazebo (or my preferred pronunciation "gazoobee". This should have each picture aligned in the same manner, or at least as close as the altimeter and GPS will allow.

Our new 10' one from Amish Gazebos. Not completely finished, still need to install pavers for the floor. Has a solar/battery powered 850 lumen light so looks like a beacon at night.

YZ5Y0mI.jpg

Last edited:
Yes more than 1 batt I am assuming it could take upwards of 2 days at 5-6 hours a day ?
So if i take individule photos and try to stitch togather will it be like herky jerky ?

Yes, I think it would be, and I wonder if there is another solution with a tripod mounted camera? You can set timers on some to take a picture at a regular interval, and there are certainly shutter release devices on the market for this purpose. Then the pictures can be turned into a timelapse sequence and there are a few apps and programs that can do this.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it would be, and I wonder if there is another solution with a tripod mounted camera? You can set timers on some to take a picture at a regular interval, and there are certainly shutter release devices on the market for this purpose. Then the pictures can be turned into a timelapse sequence and there are a few apps and programs that can do this.

That would require purchasing a camera and a tripod and more equipment ? I already have a drone that will do tripod mode has a camera and can do time lapse
looks like timelapse/hyperlapse is in the running for the final decision ?

Depending on the viewpoint you want you could place the Air 2 on a suitable surface and film without taking off, this way you could mark the position of the legs & put it back in exactly the same position after changing the battery.

If you do a youtube search for construction site drone time lapse there are a few there with different styles. I wonder if this is the sort of thing you mean?

This was probably done by repeatedly flying a path set up in DJI Go 4 or Litchi and editing the footage together.

There are a few tutorials there too.

I note you are using an Air 2. You can set a path in the waypoints section of the DJI Fly app, save it and re-run it repeatedly. Litchi isn't yet available for the Air 2.

Reactions: Akward59
i would just do it on a pole/tripod with a camera or a phone. The hassle with the battery swap is going to make you give up before the end of the first day

If you do a youtube search for construction site drone time lapse there are a few there with different styles. I wonder if this is the sort of thing you mean?

This was probably done by repeatedly flying a path set up in DJI Go 4 or Litchi and editing the footage together.

There are a few tutorials there too.

I note you are using an Air 2. You can set a path in the waypoints section of the DJI Fly app, save it and re-run it repeatedly. Litchi isn't yet available for the Air 2.
Except you can only use waypoints in hyperlapse, or is that what you meant?

You will need to stabilize the footage in post if you use any kind of in flight time lapse. GPS is not repeatable enough to insure that the drone is always in the same position.

Hello
I am looking for some advice, I just recently revived my air 2 and actually haven't even flown it yet, but i do know a little bit about flying as I did have a pro and a mini that I sold for the air 2 so I am not a complete virgin. Anyway I want to launch my air 2 and record me building a gazebo then when all complete speed up the footage to post and view. What would be the preferred settings to do this ?
Just record it and edit and speed up in post ?
What video settings would be best for this ?
Is this a hyper lapse candidate ?

Thanks in advance
Randy
This is not drone material. Plan on a multi-day timelapse with the interval set at 24 hours! Set up your DSLR on a story tripod, set the intervalometer to a very long interval (like 12 hours) and on Auto.

Depending on the viewpoint you want you could place the Air 2 on a suitable surface and film without taking off, this way you could mark the position of the legs & put it back in exactly the same position after changing the battery.

Curious question here.....when I am working on settings sometimes sitting on the table, my M2 Zoom gets fairly hot....no warnings however, the fan is doing its job but does flying the AC offer necessary cooling or would it be able sit in a spot like that say on a 90 degree day without over heating?

WDK

Curious question here.....when I am working on settings sometimes sitting on the table, my M2 Zoom gets fairly hot....no warnings however, the fan is doing its job but does flying the AC offer necessary cooling or would it be able sit in a spot like that say on a 90 degree day without over heating?

WDK
Is anyone else but me confused by doing a time lapse of a construction project which occurs over time (like hours) using a drone? Why would you prefer a drone (probably stable and sitting still heating up, on a table) while it could more easily be done with a camera using an intervaometer?

Is anyone else but me confused by doing a time lapse of a construction project which occurs over time (like hours) using a drone? Why would you prefer a drone (probably stable and sitting still heating up, on a table) while it could more easily be done with a camera using an intervaometer?
What’s a “intervaometer”?

The video from greekislandlover is pretty good. If you did that and shot 4K you could make minor adjustments to get the gazebo shots to line up. Honestly though, I'd just strap a GoPro high in a tree overlooking your construction and do a time lapse with that. You can power a GoPro all day with a power cell attached. I did this when I shot a time lapse of me building a big landscape project around my patio. Took two whole days. It worked great.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I am in the camp that does not think this is the best use of his drone, but if he is going to use it, is there a possibility of damaging it this way.

WDK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d