DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I wrecked her

txcheffy

Reactions
Hit a limb over river and she crashed half submerged. It now says system error to check app but the app can't connect.. help?

Reactions: Former Member
That's terrible. Hopefully you can get her replaced soon... :(

I'm holding out hope that I never have an oopsie :)

I thought was holding out too..Random limb sticking out 6' past rest of the tree

That sound like a true definition of an accident. Well, let us hope you have DJI refresh and get a brand new drone. These things are so expensive to replace, so I really hope you have insurance to help you get back to where you were before crash.

I have DJI refresh and have state farm. I feel like if I get a total loss like you, I better end up with 2 brand new drones, lol.

Now im finding out my RC that was originally defective is once again not working properly. Sending in both on monday after i let it air out.

Put it in a bag of dry rice, worth a try dry rice absorbs moisture.
Paul

The rice unfortunately does nothing because the deposits and conductive minerals left behind by the water are the issue - not the water itself. It's a commonly repeated myth that this does anything to help electronics that get wet. The best way to deal with it is to immediately remove any power source and displace the water with 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol.

This is a myth- unfortunately.

Leaving it near the outlet of an air conditioner would be far more effective.

Anything that dries it out is also going to be useless unfortunately - you need to displace the water (or more accurately all the conductive things in the water) and get rid of it altogether. You want to do this before it has a chance to dry.

The rice unfortunately does nothing because the deposits and conductive minerals left behind by the water are the issue - not the water itself. It's a commonly repeated myth that this does anything to help electronics that get wet. The best way to deal with it is to immediately remove any power source and displace the water with 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Anything that dries it out is also going to be useless unfortunately - you need to displace the water (or more accurately all the conductive things in the water) and get rid of it altogether. You want to do this before it has a chance to dry.
It seems we are dealing with a river here, fresh water- conductive deposits/residues are unlikely to be an issue. Lets not forget how nicely the boards are coated.

It seems we are dealing with a river here, fresh water- conductive deposits/residues are unlikely to be an issue. Lets not forget how nicely the boards are coated.

Unless that river is flowing pure distilled water, there are deposits in it that you do not want on your electronics ;)

DJI coats the main boards to my knowledge, but not everything is coated. Water is just not something you want inside your drone - and drying it out is not going to do much to help unless that water was distilled or pure alcohol. Maybe Thunderdrones can elaborate on what is coated and what is not.

Reactions: Peio64270
Unless that river is flowing pure distilled water, there are deposits in it that you do not want on your electronics ;)

DJI coats the main boards to my knowledge, but not everything is coated. Water is just not something you want inside your drone - and drying it out is not going to do much to help unless that water was distilled or pure alcohol. Maybe Thunderdrones can elaborate on what is coated and what is not.
I'm sure thunderdrones will have intimate knowledge of which boards are coated. We don't need to know however. I have fixed enough electronic devices that have been submerged in water to appreciate what matters. Fresh water will of course leave something behind when it evaporates but it doesn't cause any immediate issues and seemingly doesn't promote longer term corrosion problems either. Usually a thorough drying is all that is required. Ask any good mobile phone tech, I know a couple.

I'm sure thunderdrones will have intimate knowledge of which boards are coated. We don't need to know however. I have fixed enough electronic devices that have been submerged in water to appreciate what matters. Fresh water will of course leave something behind when it evaporates but it doesn't cause any immediate issues and seemingly doesn't promote longer term corrosion problems either. Usually a thorough drying is all that is required. Ask any good mobile phone tech, I know a couple.

It's people who repair electronics for a living that are providing the same info I am. Here is a write-up from one from one of the most well respected ones:

Don't Put Your Device in Rice. Here's Why...

YMMV of course, but I agree with everything he is saying. He also notes that corrosion is instant and whether or not you experience issues is more than likely down to luck.

Most companies do not even try to repair things that have had water damage for this reason.

Bottom line is don't get your electronics wet haha - and if you do, you want to get rid of that water with a displacing agent while it's still wet. Hopefully I never have to find out which parts of my drone can survive water and which cant :D

Last edited:
It's people who repair electronics for a living that are providing the same info I am. Here is a write-up from one from one of the most well respected ones:

Don't Put Your Device in Rice. Here's Why...

YMMV of course, but I agree with everything he is saying. He also notes that corrosion is instant and whether or not you experience issues is more than likely down to luck.

Most companies do not even try to repair things that have had water damage for this reason.

Bottom line is don't get your electronics wet haha - and if you do, you want to get rid of that water with a displacing agent while it's still wet. Hopefully I never have to find out which parts of my drone can survive water and which cant :D
You repair electronics? I agree with the article yes, absolutely. I also have direct experience, as you may also- not everything requires the IPA treatment after taking a dunk.

You repair electronics? I agree with the article yes, absolutely. I also have direct experience, as you may also- not everything requires the IPA treatment after taking a dunk.

I have repaired some but I do not claim to be an expert on the matter as I do not do it for a living. Most of my in-depth electronics experience is with RC Cars, Smartphones, Computers, Cameras, and high end Home Theater equipment. I have also had electronics ruined by fresh water before I was more knowledgeable about how to properly get rid of the water (or more accurately what is in the water).

If you agree with the article then I am not sure I understand some of your earlier statements about corrosion, but we agree :) You may get lucky and simply drying the device works, but at that point the damage is done and you may experience issues down the road. Personally I wouldn't roll the dice. I don't plan on dunking my drone in water so I will likely never have to find out haha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson